+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and Child birth costs Montreal Quebec.

Mar 4, 2020
Hi Folks,

I have a somewhat complicated situation for which I'd like some guidance. I am a dual Canadian-American citizen, raised in Quebec, but I have been residing in the States for the last few years. My wife is American, and is about six-weeks pregnant.

I'll be attending a Master's program in Montreal, starting in September, while my wife is due with our baby at the end of October.

I'm sending in her permanent residency application for Canada in about a week, after which I'll prep the Quebec forms. my question—have we cut it too close to receive RAMQ in time for the birth? An immigration lawyer we spoke to suggested that his US-Canada permanent residency applications have been taking six months to process, but I know there's the Quebec one on top of that (how long will that take?) plus the wait period for RAMQ to kick in. So, obviously, I'm feeling a little stressed as I consider my options.

It's possible that my work will continue to extend health coverage to us while we're in Montreal, but it's not for sure yet.

I'm grateful for any thoughts, questions, or input.

Best,
RPS

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Folks,

I have a somewhat complicated situation for which I'd like some guidance. I am a dual Canadian-American citizen, raised in Quebec, but I have been residing in the States for the last few years. My wife is American, and is about six-weeks pregnant.

I'll be attending a Master's program in Montreal, starting in September, while my wife is due with our baby at the end of October.

I'm sending in her permanent residency application for Canada in about a week, after which I'll prep the Quebec forms. my question—have we cut it too close to receive RAMQ in time for the birth? An immigration lawyer we spoke to suggested that his US-Canada permanent residency applications have been taking six months to process, but I know there's the Quebec one on top of that (how long will that take?) plus the wait period for RAMQ to kick in. So, obviously, I'm feeling a little stressed as I consider my options.

It's possible that my work will continue to extend health coverage to us while we're in Montreal, but it's not for sure yet.

Best,
RPS
With you tight timeline, I think you should assume that your wife will not be covered by Quebec provincial health when your child is due.

Better to make sure your work health coverage will pay for it. Otherwise, it's going to be really expensive.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Folks,

Best,
RPS
IMO there's unfortunately very little chance the application will be processed in time.

I would start working on Plan B now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Folks,

Best,
RPS
While you are still likely cutting it too close, I will note that RAMQ actually covers pregnancy/birth costs during the wait period.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123

danamm

Apr 24, 2020
:)

Hello,
thsnk you for your message.

Yes, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy thank God. This was in October last year.

Hospital: Lasalle
Amount for two days: 5,154$
Doctor's fee: 600$

We chose this hospital because it has a private room and is the cheapest in Montréal as far as I know.
The room is the same during all the stsy.
They are very pro breastfeeding.
The only two negative things were that a nurse did the Kristeller maneuver which is not recommended by the OMS and that she did not do the blood test correctly of taking blood of the heel of the baby. She forgot to heat the foot. Because of that he had to be sent for observation and I could not feed him for about 8h.
So check that if they do this test they heat the foot before taking out blood of the heel of the baby.
This could happen at any hospital, so I would still recommend it because over all the nurses were nice and helpful and the doctor did a good job.

Be aware that the doctors fee needs to be paid right away after delivery in cash if you do not give a deposit (also in cash) to the hospital of minimum 3000$.
The epidural always needs to be paid cash, because unless it is a cesarian section, it is not considered necessary and the anesthesiologist will probably refuse to give it.
I had a natural birth without epidural.
The doctor asked in our case for 600$, but she said she could ask for 3000$. She was upset that we did not have the money in cash. The thing is we did not know that we had to pay the doctor right away after delivery. The hospitals I called to inquire about the payment never mentioned that.
We thought the doctor fee would be included in the final bill.

My parents paid at the end this bill as a gift for our son.
They are in Europe and they paid via an app called Sqare with credit card as suggested by the doctor.

No doctor came after that to see me to make a check up. Only the nurses did.
I don't know if it was because I don't have the RAMQ or because they forgot or because they wanted to make us a favour by not charging us the doctor's fee. The nurses did a good job and calmed me, since I had several stitches.

A few days later at home we got the bills by mail.
We got a bill for our son, even if he was insured under the RAMQ of my husband. (He now has his own RAMQ).
We went to the hospital and the accounting department cancelled that bill.

We have now set up a payment plan of a fixed amount per month that we chose.
Payments are made by credit card. We chose the date we want the payments to be charged. It was possible to change that date.
Direct debit at this hospital was not possible. But this depends on the hospital I guess.
Every month I receive a bill with the updated amount.

I suggest you check out The Dispensaire Dietique of Montréal if you are interested in breastfeeding. They offer support for free.

https://www.dispensaire.ca/

I wish you all the best for your delivery. You are close by.
If you have any follow up questions feel free to ask.
I am happy if our experience can be of any help to others in similar situations.

Have a nice day and may God bless you and your family.

Atecami please I am trying to contact you

CorinnaW

Oct 15, 2020
Congratulations on your healthy baby. You would have had to pay to see a doctor a second time and given that you didn’t have the money prepared they likely assumed you didn’t want to pay/could not afford to pay for another visit. For all your complaining you were actually treated very well. The doctor was very nice and reduced his/her fee by 1/6th and you were allowed to pay monthly likely because your husband is Canadian. Most hospitals would require prepayment of around a 10k deposit unless you are having a c-section. Not sure what you are talking about when it comes to the heal prick but heating up the foot isn’t necessary. It just increases the circulation so makes it easier to get blood. Perhaps your child had low blood sugar and that’s why he was taken for observation.

:)

Hello,
thsnk you for your message.

Yes, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy thank God. This was in October last year.

Hospital: Lasalle
Amount for two days: 5,154$
Doctor's fee: 600$

We chose this hospital because it has a private room and is the cheapest in Montréal as far as I know.
The room is the same during all the stsy.
They are very pro breastfeeding.
The only two negative things were that a nurse did the Kristeller maneuver which is not recommended by the OMS and that she did not do the blood test correctly of taking blood of the heel of the baby. She forgot to heat the foot. Because of that he had to be sent for observation and I could not feed him for about 8h.
So check that if they do this test they heat the foot before taking out blood of the heel of the baby.
This could happen at any hospital, so I would still recommend it because over all the nurses were nice and helpful and the doctor did a good job.

Be aware that the doctors fee needs to be paid right away after delivery in cash if you do not give a deposit (also in cash) to the hospital of minimum 3000$.
The epidural always needs to be paid cash, because unless it is a cesarian section, it is not considered necessary and the anesthesiologist will probably refuse to give it.
I had a natural birth without epidural.
The doctor asked in our case for 600$, but she said she could ask for 3000$. She was upset that we did not have the money in cash. The thing is we did not know that we had to pay the doctor right away after delivery. The hospitals I called to inquire about the payment never mentioned that.
We thought the doctor fee would be included in the final bill.

My parents paid at the end this bill as a gift for our son.
They are in Europe and they paid via an app called Sqare with credit card as suggested by the doctor.

No doctor came after that to see me to make a check up. Only the nurses did.
I don't know if it was because I don't have the RAMQ or because they forgot or because they wanted to make us a favour by not charging us the doctor's fee. The nurses did a good job and calmed me, since I had several stitches.

A few days later at home we got the bills by mail.
We got a bill for our son, even if he was insured under the RAMQ of my husband. (He now has his own RAMQ).
We went to the hospital and the accounting department cancelled that bill.

We have now set up a payment plan of a fixed amount per month that we chose.
Payments are made by credit card. We chose the date we want the payments to be charged. It was possible to change that date.
Direct debit at this hospital was not possible. But this depends on the hospital I guess.
Every month I receive a bill with the updated amount.

I suggest you check out The Dispensaire Dietique of Montréal if you are interested in breastfeeding. They offer support for free.

https://www.dispensaire.ca/

I wish you all the best for your delivery. You are close by.
If you have any follow up questions feel free to ask.
I am happy if our experience can be of any help to others in similar situations.

Have a nice day and may God bless you and your family.

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed response!!!
So happy for you and your family, all went well and your parents helped out. Around 5.000 $ seems to be okay, I just heard and read of much higher numbers and of course it depends on many factors.

It is our second child, the first one we´ve had back in Europe in my homecountry, where I also met my Canadian boyfriend. In the end on some point we decided to come here to Canada, and we´re living in Quebec as well - in Sherbrooke. I did my immigration papers long ago, and they opened the file already but don´t know how much longer it will take also because of COVID. Will have to figure that out.

I was just curious if there was anything else, but I also saw that a private insurance won´t work, when already pregnant. And my travel insurance just expired.

We will somehow manage it, and thank you a lot for letting me know about the direct payment in the hospital, especially if you don´t put a deposit ahead.

For the feet, I remember they had it to do twice at my baby, because the first time didn´t work so well, it hurts as a mother to see that, but it was quickly over and all was good.

Thank you also for the breastfeeding informations, luckily with this I didn´t have any problems, and took me long time to get my first child off the breast ;-).

All the best to you and your family, and thank you being so open, even when some comments are a bit rude.

DesertRoseKSA

Jan 4, 2021
Thank you all for your help! I'm thinking going through my work insurance is the safest bet.
Hi @rampikesuperstar,

I'm in somewhat similar situation and could take your help.

We are now 6 weeks pregnant and will be landing in Toronto on 10th Feb (fingers crossed). Can you please advice which Insurance cover did you go for here? I'm looking to buy similar one for us as well to cover for routine checkups and test from Mid-Feb onwards while we wait for OHIP.

Also, not sure if someone can shed light on what it would cost if don't have insurance and will need to go and see private doctors? Just trying to prepare myself for worst case scenarios.

I'm the primary candidate and my husband is coming with me to Canada for good. Unfortunately we are leaving our jobs here in KSA to start a new journey in Toronto. Therefore, having an extended insurance from both of our existing employers is not an option. I'm looking to buy a private one which covers for maternity.

Any inputs, information and experience here will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Vjktk

May 18, 2015
well regular delivery cost 5 to 6 k and if C section then 10 to 12 k but pregnancy related charges are covered under health insurance by RAMQ in waiting period.
i suggest you approach RAMQ and apply for health insurance(if ur eligible ),they will issue the letter with no ABC0000 etc which is enough to avail free checkup and pregnancy related expenses.

click on below link for ramq health card.

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/eligibility.aspx

btw its very hard to find gyno in Montreal specially when ur 45+ week so i suggest you visit st mary family clinic and they might help you.
if some family dr ready to accept ur case then they will give you letter and you can register urself in st mary hospital.

plz let me know if you need further info,my wife delivered in st mary Montreal last year.
I am moving to canada with my wife in her 28th week of pregnancy . Ramq wait period is 60 days , just incase if i receive the card before delivery and still waiting will my expenses be covered for delivery?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am moving to canada with my wife in her 28th week of pregnancy . Ramq wait period is 60 days , just incase if i receive the card before delivery and still waiting will my expenses be covered for delivery?
You replied a ten year post and there's no activity of this poster for the past 6 months. Why don't continue what @canuck78 had posted in one or more of your previous postings?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
RAMQ wait period is up to 3 months not 60 days. The day you qualify and apply you should be covered. You will need to bring a letter from your employer stating your work start date and that is it permanent full-time employment. When is your first day of work? Babies don’t only come at 40 weeks. I am a 36 week baby. Assume you may start work on January 8 so your RAMQ will start April 1. That is extremely tight timing. Whether you get coverage will depend on whether your wife has the baby before her due date or after basically.