+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and Child birth costs Montreal Quebec.

Karo_Jhel

Apr 30, 2016
lyn28 said:
hi, i gave birth here in montreal on april 2012 at no costs, while under a temporary resident visa. I actually had a midwife and gave birth at a birthing center along plamondon. When I got pregnant, my health card from calgary was expired, and i didn't have health card from quebec yet, so I went to a gyne for first check up (confirmation of my pregnancy), they charged me $100, and he said the following check ups are going to be the same. Luckily, I found Maison Bleue along plamondon, they offer free routinary check ups, the only thing I had to pay was my laboratory tests and ultrasound (which i decided not to have one). There's only 1 lab test i did, blood test ($120).

here are the option they gave me for giving birth:

jewish: you have to deposit $10,000.00,
lasalle hospital: around $2,000.00
birthing center: $850, luckily, they waived my bill,
at birthing center no epidural, all natural, It was very good experience for me, so if you're not on a high risk and have no health card yet maybe it is god for you :).

Hi lyn...I am in the same situation right now as you had from this post... I am presently in Alberta and they gave me a huge quotes from 30 weeks until delivery...so i just wanna ask if the Maison bleue still offering what you had...it would be really a good help if i could have that...i am 19 weeks and i already had some of my test from a refugee clinic here in Edmonton...sadly they will stop seeing me on my 30 weeks...the cheapest OB that i found was 120/visit only for 15 mins and it will add up if you will take more than that...the delivery is different charge too....the cheapest hospital is 4000/day for the mom and 1700/day for baby....no machine or anesthetics or any medical interference...if you needed one it will add up to the bill...so i am hoping of finding any help right now....

by the way i am pilipino also...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your baby will be Canadian and should actually be covered by health care right away even if you aren't. I remember one woman in Ontario saying that she found some midwives who helped her deliver the baby at home and she ended up not having any costs.

Tati1911

Mar 13, 2017
Leon said:
Your baby will be Canadian and should actually be covered by health care right away even if you aren't. I remember one woman in Ontario saying that she found some midwives who helped her deliver the baby at home and she ended up not having any costs.
If the mother is a visitor, the child retains the status of the mother until 18 years. My SIL gave birth in edmonton 2 years ago and had to pay for her stay and her baby's stay. The child gets the canadaian passport as well as the UCI but retains the mother's status

irfan1983

Jul 11, 2019
hi, i gave birth here in montreal on april 2012 at no costs, while under a temporary resident visa. I actually had a midwife and gave birth at a birthing center along plamondon. When I got pregnant, my health card from calgary was expired, and i didn't have health card from quebec yet, so I went to a gyne for first check up (confirmation of my pregnancy), they charged me $100, and he said the following check ups are going to be the same. Luckily, I found Maison Bleue along plamondon, they offer free routinary check ups, the only thing I had to pay was my laboratory tests and ultrasound (which i decided not to have one). There's only 1 lab test i did, blood test ($120).

at birthing center no epidural, all natural, It was very good experience for me, so if you're not on a high risk and have no health card yet maybe it is god for you :).
Hello I need your advice my wife health card is expired and she is expecting a baby next month we are on temporary resident permit ( work permit) which is expired as well I send for renewal with out valid work permit our medical card will not renew at the moment very critical situation we all worry about this.hospitalization expenses too height we can’t afford what would you advice me I will waiting your response.Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I need your advice my wife health card is expired and she is expecting a baby next month we are on temporary resident permit ( work permit) which is expired as well I send for renewal with out valid work permit our medical card will not renew at the moment very critical situation we all worry about this.hospitalization expenses too height we can’t afford what would you advice me I will waiting your response.Thanks
If you don’t have health coverage and can’t afford to pay pay you should have returned home to have the baby. If she is under 36 weeks (check with airline becomes it may be under 35 weeks) she should return home to have the baby

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you don’t have health coverage and can’t afford to pay pay you should have returned home to have the baby. If she is under 36 weeks (check with airline becomes it may be under 35 weeks) she should return home to have the baby
You have been asking the same question for but the answer doesn’t change. You’re wife could have returned home by this point.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Do not stay for the child birth if you already know that you cannot afford hospitalization expenses.

There is no other possible solution. Go back to home country where you may have healthcare coverage for the child birth.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why’d you leave it so late ? If you stay and are not covered , you’ll be on the hook for what could be a substantial bill
And btw, the hospitals want their money
As soon as she realized she was pregnant, plans should of been made on what you were going to do, and if she’s due in August the window to fly home , is closing or has already closed

Last edited:

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........

Hi, I also am in a similar situation. My husband is Canadian but I am not and I am 36 weeks pregnant. I have a visitor record and I will get the permanent residency next year. I am allowed to stay in Canada until 2021. Still i cannot get RAMQ. I called La Maison Bleue and they told me, they could not help me at all. I called the hospitals to find out prices, and they treated me like I would want to commit a crime because I have no RAMQ as if it was my fault that Québec does not consider me and my husband a family. So they even did not assure me that I can pay the hospital bill afterwards and only talked about a deposit and assumed our baby would also not be Canadian, even if he is going to be. So they treated me like a was a birthing tourist, even if I am already living in Québec and even considered a resident for tax purposes. I then contacted all the birthing homes near by and only one said, they could put me on the waiting list. When I was 6 months pregnant, they told me, I have to pay 11.000$ in order to have a delivery with a midwife! Which is more expensive than La Salle Hospital (ca. 7000$). So now I am confused because according to you it's 850$. Did they lie to me? Or have prices increased that much since 2012? I do not trust any hospitals or doctors here, because without RAMQ they only see you as $$ and treat me as if I am a birth tourist or some illegal immigrant or someone who should not have the right to be here. Therefore I am not sure what to do. I wanted a midwife and to give birth at home. But Québec robbed me of that opportunity, but then they spend millions of tax dollars in order for innocent babys to be killed in their mothers wombs! And my husband is forced to pay for those abortions! Pure evil.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I also am in a similar situation. My husband is Canadian but I am not and I am 36 weeks pregnant. I have a visitor record and I will get the permanent residency next year. I am allowed to stay in Canada until 2021. Still i cannot get RAMQ. I called La Maison Bleue and they told me, they could not help me at all. I called the hospitals to find out prices, and they treated me like I would want to commit a crime because I have no RAMQ as if it was my fault that Québec does not consider me and my husband a family. So they even did not assure me that I can pay the hospital bill afterwards and only talked about a deposit and assumed our baby would also not be Canadian, even if he is going to be. So they treated me like a was a birthing tourist, even if I am already living in Québec and even considered a resident for tax purposes. I then contacted all the birthing homes near by and only one said, they could put me on the waiting list. When I was 6 months pregnant, they told me, I have to pay 11.000$ in order to have a delivery with a midwife! Which is more expensive than La Salle Hospital (ca. 7000$). So now I am confused because according to you it's 850$. Did they lie to me? Or have prices increased that much since 2012? I do not trust any hospitals or doctors here, because without RAMQ they only see you as $$ and treat me as if I am a birth tourist or some illegal immigrant or someone who should not have the right to be here. Therefore I am not sure what to do. I wanted a midwife and to give birth at home. But Québec robbed me of that opportunity, but then they spend millions of tax dollars in order for innocent babys to be killed in their mothers wombs! And my husband is forced to pay for those abortions! Pure evil.
Just want to correct you. You are not a resident for tax purposes just a visitor. Quebec does consider you a family and your husband will have to declare himself as married on his taxes and will be able to file for CCB. You are a visitor. Quebec, and most of Canada, does not award healthcare to spouses who don’t have PR unless they have been working/studying (have visas). You wouldn’t have qualified for an abortion as well. Where have you been receiving prenatal care? You should have the baby where he/she practices. Around 10k seems to be the going rate for a vaginal birth with epidural and around 24 hours in hospital. Many women do not look into health coverage before getting pregnant which is a big mistake. Too late now but you may have had health coverage at home which could have been a good option.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The o/p brought up that she was pregnant back in March/2019, close to 6 MONTHS AGO, which would have given her AMPLE time, and the opportunity to have made the decision whether or not to go back to her country of origin (some where in Europe) to give birth, or check to see if she was covered by whatever medical plans they have over there. She elected not too, her choice. Quebec did not rob you of anything......

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/best-hospital-to-give-birth-in-montréal-area.615706/

"Is there no health insurance that could cover me in Canada?
Can I change province and be covered?
My husband is canadian after all...
In other countries the wife is automatically covered in the insurance of the husband..."

Reactions: canuck78

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
Just want to correct you. You are not a resident for tax purposes just a visitor. Quebec does consider you a family and your husband will have to declare himself as married on his taxes and will be able to file for CCB. You are a visitor. Quebec, and most of Canada, does not award healthcare to spouses who don’t have PR unless they have been working/studying (have visas). You wouldn’t have qualified for an abortion as well. Where have you been receiving prenatal care? You should have the baby where he/she practices. Around 10k seems to be the going rate for a vaginal birth with epidural and around 24 hours in hospital. Many women do not look into health coverage before getting pregnant which is a big mistake. Too late now but you may have had health coverage at home which could have been a good option.
Ok, maybe for Québec I am not considered a resident for tax purposes, but I have spoken many times by phone with the Canada Revenue Agency and they have confirmed several times that I am indeed a resident for tax purposes. I have even gotten two own tax returns separately from my husband's. And I had to file a tax return and declare my earnings for the year 2018. Also I have residential ties here, which CRA also confirmed. I am not considered a resident for all other purposes maybe, but 100% I am considered a resident for tax purposes by the Canadian Revenue Agency.

I do not want to give birth in the hospital that my doctor is associated with. I do not like their approach. Yes, it's around 10k, but I have found a better one for 7k with a more natural approach to child birth. Still expensive. I am not interested in any epidural. I would never have gotten an abortion. That is murder. I was just saying my husband as a Canadian citizen is forced to pay for other women's abortions, but then has no rights as father of his own child, because he has to pay for him to be born, just because I am not considered a resident for immigratory purposes, while in the tecnical meaning of the word resident, I am already one. But I know you don't see it this way and I do not want to argue. It is my opinion as a European and a family oriented have another mindset. I think no Canadian man who marries a foreign woman and she comes here and gets pregnant and she is legal here and they start the process of getting the PR should have to pay for his baby to be born. Because it is not fair towards my husband. That's all I am saying. While the government of Canada i.e. tax payers spend 5 million dollars per year for babys to be killed. In my opinion that is pure evil.

And regarding insurance, it's not that easy either, because you need to pay for the insurance up front, and cannot pay on a monthly basis.
I would not blame pregnant women who do not get insurance, but I say the system is bad and should support pregnant womrn married to Canadian men who are going to become dads and should not put an unnecessary burden on those families. If other countries can do that, Canada could as well. If they don't want to, well what a pitt then. We accept it, even if we disagree with the way it is.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok, maybe for Québec I am not considered a resident for tax purposes, but I have spoken many times by phone with the Canada Revenue Agency and they have confirmed several times that I am indeed a resident for tax purposes. I have even gotten two own tax returns separately from my husband's. And I had to file a tax return and declare my earnings for the year 2018. Also I have residential ties here, which CRA also confirmed. I am not considered a resident for all other purposes maybe, but 100% I am considered a resident for tax purposes by the Canadian Revenue Agency.

I do not want to give birth in the hospital that my doctor is associated with. I do not like their approach. Yes, it's around 10k, but I have found a better one for 7k with a more natural approach to child birth. Still expensive. I am not interested in any epidural. I would never have gotten an abortion. That is murder. I was just saying my husband as a Canadian citizen is forced to pay for other women's abortions, but then has no rights as father of his own child, because he has to pay for him to be born, just because I am not considered a resident for immigratory purposes, while in the tecnical meaning of the word resident, I am already one. But I know you don't see it this way and I do not want to argue. It is my opinion as a European and a family oriented have another mindset. I think no Canadian man who marries a foreign woman and she comes here and gets pregnant and she is legal here and they start the process of getting the PR should have to pay for his baby to be born. Because it is not fair towards my husband. That's all I am saying. While the government of Canada i.e. tax payers spend 5 million dollars per year for babys to be killed. In my opinion that is pure evil.

And regarding insurance, it's not that easy either, because you need to pay for the insurance up front, and cannot pay on a monthly basis.
I would not blame pregnant women who do not get insurance, but I say the system is bad and should support pregnant womrn married to Canadian men who are going to become dads and should not put an unnecessary burden on those families. If other countries can do that, Canada could as well. If they don't want to, well what a pitt then. We accept it, even if we disagree with the way it is.
If you have never worked in Canada, since I see no mention of a work permit, how are you currently a resident for tax purposes? You are a visitor. If you have a work permit and were working you’d have access to healthcare. You shouldn’t have a SIN which would also rule you out as a resident for tax purposes. Your husband is certainly a tax resident who must declare himself as married but that doesn’t change your status. CRA line is consistently wrong or they may have misunderstood what you were asking.

You have never had a baby so I wouldn’t discount any form of pain relief including an epidural. Labours do not always go as planned. An abortion is a medical procedure that is available to women for various reasons. Some are medically necessary and some are voluntary. As I have probably explained before your child will be given free healthcare at birth because your husband is a Canadian so Canada does support families of Canadians. They also allow sponsorship while ignoring things like expensive medical issues. If your husband was a visitor like you the baby would not receive healthcare at birth even though the baby would be given Canadian citizenship. Birth tourists can end up with very expensive NICU bills. Canada views everyone as individuals so everyone has to qualify for their own healthcare, meet their own residency requirements, etc. Not everyone is married who has a baby so in most provinces you have to get PR or be studying/working to qualify.

Hopefully your birth will go smoothly so your bill will be more affordable. At 36 weeks the baby could come tonight so I would be making arrangement and putting down deposits. Why did you see a doctor associated with the hospital that you didn’t want the whole purpose of doctors having their patients attend the hospital that they are associated with is for you to be familiar with one of the doctors in the practice that is on call that night and for the hospital to be staffed adequately based on the patients of the doctors associated with that hospital.

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
Hopefully your birth will go smoothly so your bill will be more affordable.
Thank you very much.
I wish you all the best. May God bless you and your family.

Oct 8, 2019
Hello

My name is Shima Lohrasbi.

I'm going to give birth to my second child in Canada.

My first child is three years old.

And now I'm three months pregnant.

My first childbirth was cesarean section and all the tests and ultrasound I did so far are all normal.

Please guide me and answer me with Email: lohrasb.pharmed@gmail.com

Thanks,

Shima Lohrasbi