+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pregnancy and Child birth costs Montreal Quebec.

Kaur Rajinder

Nov 14, 2019
Hiii .I am international student and I am pregnant. My health insurance is getting expire before my delivery.so they told me I am not eligible for benefits. I just took home pregnancy test and it is positive. To confirm that I am pregnant t have to visit a doctor but
No one doctor want to attend me before deposit.
Jewish hospital wants 15000$.
Now I have no idea where I can go and how I can I meet a doctor.
Please help me.

Kaur Rajinder

Nov 14, 2019
hi, i gave birth here in montreal on april 2012 at no costs, while under a temporary resident visa. I actually had a midwife and gave birth at a birthing center along plamondon. When I got pregnant, my health card from calgary was expired, and i didn't have health card from quebec yet, so I went to a gyne for first check up (confirmation of my pregnancy), they charged me $100, and he said the following check ups are going to be the same. Luckily, I found Maison Bleue along plamondon, they offer free routinary check ups, the only thing I had to pay was my laboratory tests and ultrasound (which i decided not to have one). There's only 1 lab test i did, blood test ($120).

here are the option they gave me for giving birth:

jewish: you have to deposit $10,000.00,
lasalle hospital: around $2,000.00
birthing center: $850, luckily, they waived my bill,
at birthing center no epidural, all natural, It was very good experience for me, so if you're not on a high risk and have no health card yet maybe it is god for you :).
Can you tell me the maison bleue full address (building number) and gyne for first checkup .
Please I am in stress

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you tell me the maison bleue full address (building number) and gyne for first checkup .
Please I am in stress
You would only be able to see a midwife if you are able to find one with availability to give free services. If you want to giv3 birth at a hospital you will have to pay if you don’t have health insurance or provincial health coverage.

Satpal

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
INDIA
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( NDVO )
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Expecting on June 2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
VISA ISSUED...
DREAM DAY
LANDED..........
HOPEFULLY SOME DAY
Please I am in stress
Hi Rajinder Sat sri akal,

My wife is also pregnant, we are in Montreal now, can u please contact me in direct msg.. need some urgent information

Satpal

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
INDIA
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( NDVO )
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Expecting on June 2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
NA
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
VISA ISSUED...
DREAM DAY
LANDED..........
HOPEFULLY SOME DAY
What is your status and her status in Canada?
Hi Canuck,

I am German National holding Holiday worker visa and My wife is an international student ( she got pregnant before opting Allianz health insurance for students so unfortunately she will not be covered under insurance plan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck,

I am German National holding Holiday worker visa and My wife is an international student ( she got pregnant before opting Allianz health insurance for students so unfortunately she will not be covered under insurance plan
Can you afford to pay for her pregnancy expenses? When is your IEC done? Her studies completed?

Luis11

Jan 14, 2020
Hi, I also am in a similar situation. My husband is Canadian but I am not and I am 36 weeks pregnant. I have a visitor record and I will get the permanent residency next year. I am allowed to stay in Canada until 2021. Still i cannot get RAMQ. I called La Maison Bleue and they told me, they could not help me at all. I called the hospitals to find out prices, and they treated me like I would want to commit a crime because I have no RAMQ as if it was my fault that Québec does not consider me and my husband a family. So they even did not assure me that I can pay the hospital bill afterwards and only talked about a deposit and assumed our baby would also not be Canadian, even if he is going to be. So they treated me like a was a birthing tourist, even if I am already living in Québec and even considered a resident for tax purposes. I then contacted all the birthing homes near by and only one said, they could put me on the waiting list. When I was 6 months pregnant, they told me, I have to pay 11.000$ in order to have a delivery with a midwife! Which is more expensive than La Salle Hospital (ca. 7000$). So now I am confused because according to you it's 850$. Did they lie to me? Or have prices increased that much since 2012? I do not trust any hospitals or doctors here, because without RAMQ they only see you as $$ and treat me as if I am a birth tourist or some illegal immigrant or someone who should not have the right to be here. Therefore I am not sure what to do. I wanted a midwife and to give birth at home. But Québec robbed me of that opportunity, but then they spend millions of tax dollars in order for innocent babys to be killed in their mothers wombs! And my husband is forced to pay for those abortions! Pure evil.
Hello we are almost in the same situation right now. I’m currently in my 38 weeks. I’m pretty sure you gave birth already? So how did you cope with this? In which hospital did you gave birth and how much it cost you?
Thank you

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
:)
Hello we are almost in the same situation right now. I’m currently in my 38 weeks. I’m pretty sure you gave birth already? So how did you cope with this? In which hospital did you gave birth and how much it cost you?
Thank you
Hello,
thsnk you for your message.

Yes, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy thank God. This was in October last year.

Hospital: Lasalle
Amount for two days: 5,154$
Doctor's fee: 600$

We chose this hospital because it has a private room and is the cheapest in Montréal as far as I know.
The room is the same during all the stsy.
They are very pro breastfeeding.
The only two negative things were that a nurse did the Kristeller maneuver which is not recommended by the OMS and that she did not do the blood test correctly of taking blood of the heel of the baby. She forgot to heat the foot. Because of that he had to be sent for observation and I could not feed him for about 8h.
So check that if they do this test they heat the foot before taking out blood of the heel of the baby.
This could happen at any hospital, so I would still recommend it because over all the nurses were nice and helpful and the doctor did a good job.

Be aware that the doctors fee needs to be paid right away after delivery in cash if you do not give a deposit (also in cash) to the hospital of minimum 3000$.
The epidural always needs to be paid cash, because unless it is a cesarian section, it is not considered necessary and the anesthesiologist will probably refuse to give it.
I had a natural birth without epidural.
The doctor asked in our case for 600$, but she said she could ask for 3000$. She was upset that we did not have the money in cash. The thing is we did not know that we had to pay the doctor right away after delivery. The hospitals I called to inquire about the payment never mentioned that.
We thought the doctor fee would be included in the final bill.

My parents paid at the end this bill as a gift for our son.
They are in Europe and they paid via an app called Sqare with credit card as suggested by the doctor.

No doctor came after that to see me to make a check up. Only the nurses did.
I don't know if it was because I don't have the RAMQ or because they forgot or because they wanted to make us a favour by not charging us the doctor's fee. The nurses did a good job and calmed me, since I had several stitches.

A few days later at home we got the bills by mail.
We got a bill for our son, even if he was insured under the RAMQ of my husband. (He now has his own RAMQ).
We went to the hospital and the accounting department cancelled that bill.

We have now set up a payment plan of a fixed amount per month that we chose.
Payments are made by credit card. We chose the date we want the payments to be charged. It was possible to change that date.
Direct debit at this hospital was not possible. But this depends on the hospital I guess.
Every month I receive a bill with the updated amount.

I suggest you check out The Dispensaire Dietique of Montréal if you are interested in breastfeeding. They offer support for free.

https://www.dispensaire.ca/

I wish you all the best for your delivery. You are close by.
If you have any follow up questions feel free to ask.
I am happy if our experience can be of any help to others in similar situations.

Have a nice day and may God bless you and your family.

Reactions: jadelgado

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
:)

Hello,
thsnk you for your message.

Yes, I gave birth to a healthy baby boy thank God. This was in October last year.

Hospital: Lasalle
Amount for two days: 5,154$
Doctor's fee: 600$

We chose this hospital because it has a private room and is the cheapest in Montréal as far as I know.
The room is the same during all the stsy.
They are very pro breastfeeding.
The only two negative things were that a nurse did the Kristeller maneuver which is not recommended by the OMS and that she did not do the blood test correctly of taking blood of the heel of the baby. She forgot to heat the foot. Because of that he had to be sent for observation and I could not feed him for about 8h.
So check that if they do this test they heat the foot before taking out blood of the heel of the baby.
This could happen at any hospital, so I would still recommend it because over all the nurses were nice and helpful and the doctor did a good job.

Be aware that the doctors fee needs to be paid right away after delivery in cash if you do not give a deposit (also in cash) to the hospital of minimum 3000$.
The epidural always needs to be paid cash, because unless it is a cesarian section, it is not considered necessary and the anesthesiologist will probably refuse to give it.
I had a natural birth without epidural.
The doctor asked in our case for 600$, but she said she could ask for 3000$. She was upset that we did not have the money in cash. The thing is we did not know that we had to pay the doctor right away after delivery. The hospitals I called to inquire about the payment never mentioned that.
We thought the doctor fee would be included in the final bill.

My parents paid at the end this bill as a gift for our son.
They are in Europe and they paid via an app called Sqare with credit card as suggested by the doctor.

No doctor came after that to see me to make a check up. Only the nurses did.
I don't know if it was because I don't have the RAMQ or because they forgot or because they wanted to make us a favour by not charging us the doctor's fee. The nurses did a good job and calmed me, since I had several stitches.

A few days later at home we got the bills by mail.
We got a bill for our son, even if he was insured under the RAMQ of my husband. (He now has his own RAMQ).
We went to the hospital and the accounting department cancelled that bill.

We have now set up a payment plan of a fixed amount per month that we chose.
Payments are made by credit card. We chose the date we want the payments to be charged. It was possible to change that date.
Direct debit at this hospital was not possible. But this depends on the hospital I guess.
Every month I receive a bill with the updated amount.

I suggest you check out The Dispensaire Dietique of Montréal if you are interested in breastfeeding. They offer support for free.

https://www.dispensaire.ca/

I wish you all the best for your delivery. You are close by.
If you have any follow up questions feel free to ask.
I am happy if our experience can be of any help to others in similar situations.

Have a nice day and may God bless you and your family.
Congratulations on your healthy baby. You would have had to pay to see a doctor a second time and given that you didn’t have the money prepared they likely assumed you didn’t want to pay/could not afford to pay for another visit. For all your complaining you were actually treated very well. The doctor was very nice and reduced his/her fee by 1/6th and you were allowed to pay monthly likely because your husband is Canadian. Most hospitals would require prepayment of around a 10k deposit unless you are having a c-section. Not sure what you are talking about when it comes to the heal prick but heating up the foot isn’t necessary. It just increases the circulation so makes it easier to get blood. Perhaps your child had low blood sugar and that’s why he was taken for observation.