+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how can avoid the high cost of delivering a baby in canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That will be like forever
You have posted often worrying about the cost of living and having to find job that pays enough while having to study and pass your dental licensing exams. Not sure how having a baby right away will make your life easier. Waiting for 2 years so you have settled in Canada, you have jobs, maybe a car, you have some savings and you are on your way to being a dentist sounds logical. Also your wife qualifying for maternity benefits require her to work for 600 hours or she will receive no money. Clearly your choice but would price out the cost of things like diapers, formula if you need it, stroller, etc. It is expensive.

Reactions: Wolverine17

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have posted often worrying about the cost of living and having to find job that pays enough while having to study and pass your dental licensing exams. Not sure how having a baby right away will make your life easier. Waiting for 2 years so you have settled in Canada, you have jobs, maybe a car, you have some savings and you are on your way to being a dentist sounds logical. Also your wife qualifying for maternity benefits require her to work for 600 hours or she will receive no money. Clearly your choice but would price out the cost of things like diapers, formula if you need it, stroller, etc. It is expensive.
But one don't have to use disposable diapers. Perhaps one could find second hand stroller etc for free in neighborhood. Also, why makes you so sure in 2 years, he has jobs and maybe car, savings? From time to time, I've seen post that someone experience didn't work out and had to return to places such as the Middle East for living.

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017
Can you please tell me what did you do in this situation...pls need advice

hi guys
my wife and I are moving permanently to Canada , as immigrant to the province of Ontario, my wife is pregnant and her due date is towards the end of march 2018, will be landing at the end of December 2017, as I know the government health insurance will take 3 months to be active , I looked through many insurance companies but they don't cover already pregnant women, so is there is a way to avoid the expensive delivery fee in hospitals, i heard about midwifes anyone know how much they will cost and do they deliver at hospitals or clinic, or if you any insurance company that will cover such condition even if it is a bit expensive than the others,please if anyone been through the same situation or have any information that could help me let me know your advise is most appreciated.
thanks all

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017

Wow. This is huge fees. 7k to 11k CAD is a lot really for normal delivery.

I have a similar travel situation to land in Ontario and same time constraints for baby delivery date.
If I can't get insurance cover , At what point will I have to pay the medical bills? upfront or after delivery?

Or will the hospital reject to undertake the baby delivery if payment is not done upfront?

What other options are possible? Kindly advise ..

1. Are there other options of contacting a private doctor directly ?
2. Which province provides immediate delivery coverage for new permanent residents? I would mind to remain in such province honestly ..
3. I need ideas on delivery cost in other provinces to weigh up options...

Thanks guys

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017
Please can you guide me in this

Hi there,
We had a baby born few days back at credit valley. We have no OHiP coverage due to less than 3 months phenomenon and costs are as follows:

CAD 4,500 are taken as advance cash by the Obs/Gyne clinic at building 2000 next to credit valley hospital. This includes physician responsible for delivery, first doctor appointment at clinic, admin charges and the charges for Anesthesia if required at delivery.

Hospital charges were appx 3300 CAD per day i.e. if you enter hospital for Labor Assessement, baby is born in birthing suite appx 12 hrs from forst arrival at hospital and then 1 days stay after delivery. You will be charged for two dats. For PR card holders,this fee is appx 1300 CAD per day.

Baby is covered after birth however any costs towards tests etc are to be paid incl. any doctors which will

QUOTE="djmony, post: 6535939, member: 714728"]hi guys
my wife and I are moving permanently to Canada , as immigrant to the province of Ontario, my wife is pregnant and her due date is towards the end of march 2018, will be landing at the end of December 2017, as I know the government health insurance will take 3 months to be active , I looked through many insurance companies but they don't cover already pregnant women, so is there is a way to avoid the expensive delivery fee in hospitals, i heard about midwifes anyone know how much they will cost and do they deliver at hospitals or clinic, or if you any insurance company that will cover such condition even if it is a bit expensive than the others,please if anyone been through the same situation or have any information that could help me let me know your advise is most appreciated.
thanks all
Hi[/QUOTE]

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New permanent residents residing in Alberta have immediate health coverage if they live there at least 6 months. This is something to considered.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please can you guide me in this

Hi
[/QUOTE]

You keep on posting when you have been advised what your options are already. There is no insurance that will cover the cost of delivery. Why would they when it is going to happen. If you want to move to Ontario you are going to have to pay for delivery. Most hospitals require you to pay or at least put down a deposit before admission. You can arrange with the hospital and arrange to pay the physician for their services and doctors visits. As I mentioned before you have the option of settling in another province who may have healthcare on arrival. You will not be able to deliver and then move to Ontario. There are residency requirements to receive healthcare and provinces like Alberta will want you to show that you have settled in the province since they are aware that people arrive in Alberta to give birth.

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017
I was asking more information about people who dealt with similar situation like gynac number, hospital details. If anyone did itvin quebec how did they go about it.

This would help me contact the right person/hospital in canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was asking more information about people who dealt with similar situation like gynac number, hospital details. If anyone did itvin quebec how did they go about it.

This would help me contact the right person/hospital in canada.
You would need to select what hospital is convenient for you and then contact the directly. You would also need to find an obstetrician working in that area with privileges at the hospital you want to deliver at and call and see if they are willing to take private patients. Fees charged vary between hospitals and doctors. @Fairmint is someone recently paid for a private birth.

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017
So can I enter from ontario(by land) and move to quebec/alberta..? If yes, how will my insurance start from day 1..do I need to inform cic or register somewhere in quebec/alberta?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So can I enter from ontario(by land) and move to quebec/alberta..? If yes, how will my insurance start from day 1..do I need to inform cic or register somewhere in quebec/alberta?
Not sure why you would enter Ontario by land and then move to Quebec or Alberta and not move there directly but yes you can. Arriving with a heavily pregnant wife anticipate you may face questions about actually settling in the province like whether you have rented a place to live, whether you have employment, whether you speak French, etc. The governments aren’t stupid they realize that people are trying to avoid paying for a delivery. If you aren’t actually planning on remaining in Quebec or Alberta it will actually cost you more to pay for accommodation for 6+ months, not work and then move than actually paying for a delivery in the first place.

KUSUM86

Dec 11, 2019
Hi there,
We had a baby born few days back at credit valley. We have no OHiP coverage due to less than 3 months phenomenon and costs are as follows:

CAD 4,500 are taken as advance cash by the Obs/Gyne clinic at building 2000 next to credit valley hospital. This includes physician responsible for delivery, first doctor appointment at clinic, admin charges and the charges for Anesthesia if required at delivery.

Hospital charges were appx 3300 CAD per day i.e. if you enter hospital for Labor Assessement, baby is born in birthing suite appx 12 hrs from forst arrival at hospital and then 1 days stay after delivery. You will be charged for two dats. For PR card holders,this fee is appx 1300 CAD per day.

Baby is covered after birth however any costs towards tests etc are to be paid incl. any doctors which will

QUOTE="djmony, post: 6535939, member: 714728"]hi guys
thanks all
Hi[/QUOTE]

KUSUM86

Dec 11, 2019
Hi, I am in similar situation holding PR and returning to Canada when 34-36 weeks pregnant.
I have below questions if anyone can help:
  • I will be 34-36 weeks pregnant while returning to Canada. Will I face any problem at immigration/borders?
  • You mention about credit valley hospital, at which week they accepted you because they mentioned I am going to be too late?
  • Can you give me more information on doctor which you met and the process?
  • Will the newborn get the health coverage immediately in case of any complications.

It will be very helpful if you can help me on the above queries as I really worried about doctors accepting so close to due date. Thanks

Regards,
Kusum

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
[/QUOTE]
At 34-36 weeks if you are flying assume you have checked requirements with the airline such as fit to fly letter from doctor.

As a PR assuming you have met the residency obligation you would have no issues entering the country whether pregnant or not given as a PR you are entitled to enter although if found to not have met the RO you could of course be reported leading to PR being revoked subject to appeal.