+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv Positive applying for student visa

bullet123

Oct 6, 2021
I think only people applying for university (that has a bigger coverage) or colleges from Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, new Brunswick and Prince Edward that offers universal coverage of antiretrovirals for all of their residents living with HIV have good chances of study visa approval.

Unless I see in this forum someone declaring they were approved for another province, I will remain thinking this way. So far, I didn't see anyone approved for Ontario here that's the destination of most of foreign students.
Hi Gusmcr
I just want to ask if I need to declare my heath status in my SOP ??
Do I need to write that i am HIV positive and already undetectable??

Gusmcr

Sep 22, 2021
I don't think you have to state that for the university/college. You just have to declare to the physician and the Immigration application forms, because there's a question there about it, and you can't lie because they will find out anyway with the exams.

And I just noticed this thread was created under "express entry" but the subject is hiv and studies.

bullet123

Oct 6, 2021
I don't think you have to state that for the university/college. You just have to declare to the physician and the Immigration application forms, because there's a question there about it, and you can't lie because they will find out anyway with the exams.

And I just noticed this thread was created under "express entry" but the subject is hiv and studies.
Hi
Not in the University/college.
Statement of Purpose to be read by the visa officer.
Do i need to to tell the visa officer about it ??

Gusmcr

Sep 22, 2021
There is an option in the visa form about health they ask, do you have any chronic desease? If you mark no, during the medical exams they will discover, you will have to say to the doctor how long you are +, medications you are taking, how long undetectable and they will transmit all that to Cic. It's better to be honest and not take the risk to be denied due to misrepresentation. If you put your own information describing how you are planning to keep your treatment while in Canada, you can add a report from your personal doctor describing your health condition and also give this report to the cic physician.

Since as student you are temporary resident you can get the medication through mail sent by your family, or you can say you are willing to pay from your pocket, but you have to show enough money for that. None of the private insurance from colleges will pay those medications. Only provincial insurance from provinces who covers it. (about 5 provinces). If you are going to provinces like BC, QC, etc just say how much the average cost for your meds, and that the provincial insurance will cover them.

daydreamer09

Nov 3, 2021
@iamsanjuan @pjexpress @potenceee

Hi brothers! I'm also from the Philippines and I'm planning to study in Canada in 2022 but I'm already processing most of my papers now. Mayroon na ba sa inyo nakapag-start ng application?

Hello guys, same here with your situation and also From philippines rin. Traget ko rin to start my application next year January. I hope na maging maayos yung application process natin at magrant tayo ng visa. Please keep us updated po sa mga nakagrant ng visa under our situation po. TB-Free here, but advised me to have my medication for TB kahit wala akong TB and was just diagnosed HIV+ this year.

bullet123

Oct 6, 2021
@iamsanjuan @pjexpress @potenceee

Hi brothers! I'm also from the Philippines and I'm planning to study in Canada in 2022 but I'm already processing most of my papers now. Mayroon na ba sa inyo nakapag-start ng application?
Hi po
Ano na po progress ng application nyo?
For me I am still waiting for my LOA from school. Planning to lodge application on Feb or March

Southernboy

Nov 11, 2021
I would like to share my medical experience (that us is still in progress) so that you can have a headstart. I advise that you do your medical as early as possible cause it might take 3 to 6 months to complete. As someone living with HIV we are required to do sputum culture and the result can take more than 2 months. And we are also required 2 sets of chest xray with interval of 3 months.

Before you book your medical get all your docs from the treatment hub like your latest CD4, Viral Load and Medical Certificate. You have to attach these docs to your application. If you have been treated for TB or Syphilis you also have to bring records of that. If not, then no need. There are cases where we might test false positive in syphilis, like me, so they had to do another test to confirm that it's negative.

You will also be asked for extra tests like Hepa B and Hepa C. Which is going to be an extra payment on top of the medical package.

We also have to be evaluated by their in house Infectious Disease doctor and Pulmonologist cause it requires their clearance.

All in all the process is quite easy but he prepared to return to the center multiple times, especially for the sputum culture which is done for 3 consecutive days. I have done my medical Oct and my 2nd xray is scheduled end of January. My medical will only be completed once my 2nd xray is clear and my sputom culture comes out negative.

If you wonder what will be done if you are positive with the sputum culture. You will have to take medication for 6 months. So I am praying hard it will be negative. My other 2 sputum tests (smear) already came out negative so I hope the sputum culture will come out negative as well.

bullet123

Oct 6, 2021
I would like to share my medical experience (that us is still in progress) so that you can have a headstart. I advise that you do your medical as early as possible cause it might take 3 to 6 months to complete. As someone living with HIV we are required to do sputum culture and the result can take more than 2 months. And we are also required 2 sets of chest xray with interval of 3 months.

Before you book your medical get all your docs from the treatment hub like your latest CD4, Viral Load and Medical Certificate. You have to attach these docs to your application. If you have been treated for TB or Syphilis you also have to bring records of that. If not, then no need. There are cases where we might test false positive in syphilis, like me, so they had to do another test to confirm that it's negative.

You will also be asked for extra tests like Hepa B and Hepa C. Which is going to be an extra payment on top of the medical package.

We also have to be evaluated by their in house Infectious Disease doctor and Pulmonologist cause it requires their clearance.

All in all the process is quite easy but he prepared to return to the center multiple times, especially for the sputum culture which is done for 3 consecutive days. I have done my medical Oct and my 2nd xray is scheduled end of January. My medical will only be completed once my 2nd xray is clear and my sputom culture comes out negative.

If you wonder what will be done if you are positive with the sputum culture. You will have to take medication for 6 months. So I am praying hard it will be negative. My other 2 sputum tests (smear) already came out negative so I hope the sputum culture will come out negative as well.
Hi may i ask are you from the Philippines too?? And what Medical Center you attended ??

qtbh1995

Dec 10, 2021
Hello guys. I also intend to study in Canada as well. I have been undetectable for 2 years now. However, my bachelor GPA is quite low (2.4 on 4 scale) so it is hard for me get into a master degree of a top university. I intended to study a bachelor a post grad program. My bachelor degree was business information system. I want to study to become a hardware engineer (computer engineering) but there are several issues. If I want continue to study master degree, my GPA is not enough. If I want to study a bachelor degree, I there are chances my visa application may not be solid enough. If I want to take a post grad program, my chance of getting visa would be reduced as Gipps said I have to be admitted to a top university.
What should I do? Can you guys please tell me what colleges I can apply to? Please help me! Thank you guys

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys. I also intend to study in Canada as well. I have been undetectable for 2 years now. However, my bachelor GPA is quite low (2.4 on 4 scale) so it is hard for me get into a master degree of a top university. I intended to study a bachelor a post grad program. My bachelor degree was business information system. I want to study to become a hardware engineer (computer engineering) but there are several issues. If I want continue to study master degree, my GPA is not enough. If I want to study a bachelor degree, I there are chances my visa application may not be solid enough. If I want to take a post grad program, my chance of getting visa would be reduced as Gipps said I have to be admitted to a top university. What should I do? Please help me! Thank you guys
You should post tot he International Students section of the forum.

yolo696

Aug 5, 2021

Hello, any follow up on this?

jamasia080296

Mar 10, 2022
Hi Guys, I am young man who got positive in hiv as young as 23 yrs old, I know that this got to me at an earlier stage but I know my life wont stop here. I dream to study in canada thats i applied for student visa. I already paid 100,000 in peso just for applying a visa in a visa center and figure out that I may get denied because of medical exam. i dont want to disaapoint my family because we invested a big amount of money. Right now Im still waiting for my ITA and i cant help myself to get worried. Im just a young man who wish to have a brighter future despite of my condition. If anyone had the same issue with me and got approved please help me to understand.
Have you approve?