+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hiv Positive applying for student visa

Southernboy

Nov 11, 2021
I would like to share my medical experience (that us is still in progress) so that you can have a headstart. I advise that you do your medical as early as possible cause it might take 3 to 6 months to complete. As someone living with HIV we are required to do sputum culture and the result can take more than 2 months. And we are also required 2 sets of chest xray with interval of 3 months.

Before you book your medical get all your docs from the treatment hub like your latest CD4, Viral Load and Medical Certificate. You have to attach these docs to your application. If you have been treated for TB or Syphilis you also have to bring records of that. If not, then no need. There are cases where we might test false positive in syphilis, like me, so they had to do another test to confirm that it's negative.

You will also be asked for extra tests like Hepa B and Hepa C. Which is going to be an extra payment on top of the medical package.

We also have to be evaluated by their in house Infectious Disease doctor and Pulmonologist cause it requires their clearance.

All in all the process is quite easy but he prepared to return to the center multiple times, especially for the sputum culture which is done for 3 consecutive days. I have done my medical Oct and my 2nd xray is scheduled end of January. My medical will only be completed once my 2nd xray is clear and my sputom culture comes out negative.

If you wonder what will be done if you are positive with the sputum culture. You will have to take medication for 6 months. So I am praying hard it will be negative. My other 2 sputum tests (smear) already came out negative so I hope the sputum culture will come out negative as well.

Hello everyone. I'm sorry for not being able to follow up on this. I would like to let you know that my visa application got approved. My medical was completed after my sputum test result came out negative. I also got clearance from St Lukes infectious disease doctor and signed some form that they had to send to Immigration (which is already part of the SOP for PLHIV). My visa was just released this week, I'm supposed to fly to Canada this May but because of personal matters I will be taking my first term online while in the Philippines and will just fly by the end of term in August. If you have any questions feel free to reply. I will be happy to help you with anything you'd like to know about this.

Best of luck to everyone and don't let this hinder you from achieving greater things in life.

jamasia080296

Mar 10, 2022
Hello everyone. I'm sorry for not being able to follow up on this. I would like to let you know that my visa application got approved. My medical was completed after my sputum test result came out negative. I also got clearance from St Lukes infectious disease doctor and signed some form that they had to send to Immigration (which is already part of the SOP for PLHIV). My visa was just released this week, I'm supposed to fly to Canada this May but because of personal matters I will be taking my first term online while in the Philippines and will just fly by the end of term in August. If you have any questions feel free to reply. I will be happy to help you with anything you'd like to know about this.

Best of luck to everyone and don't let this hinder you from achieving greater things in life.
I am so happy that you got your visa. I just found out that i am hiv positive when i had my medical last january i was so sad that i am gonna make it canada. But hearing your story that you have visa even you are hiv positive its such relief.

I have a question. Do u have to be undetectable in order for you to get the visa? I currently taking arv and my hub here in my city will give me certificate and clearance for me to go abroad which canada. I had sputum test and xray test in my hub and luckily they are all negative

Southernboy

Nov 11, 2021
I am so happy that you got your visa. I just found out that i am hiv positive when i had my medical last january i was so sad that i am gonna make it canada. But hearing your story that you have visa even you are hiv positive its such relief.

I have a question. Do u have to be undetectable in order for you to get the visa? I currently taking arv and my hub here in my city will give me certificate and clearance for me to go abroad which canada. I had sputum test and xray test in my hub and luckily they are all negative
It's challenging at first but it's good that you have found out about your status and started your meds right away. I don't think that you have to be undetectable to get the visa, cause during your medical they won't even test your CD4 count or viral load. Best of luck and if you have further questions just let me know. Good to know your sputum is negative, regardless during your medical I believe they will ask you to undergo another sputum culture.

The clearance will also come from the infectious disease doctor from the Canada Panel Physician. But I think you can show the clearance from your hub to the CA panel not sure though if it will have any bearing.

jamasia080296

Mar 10, 2022

It's challenging at first but it's good that you have found out about your status and started your meds right away. I don't think that you have to be undetectable to get the visa, cause during your medical they won't even test your CD4 count or viral load. Best of luck and if you have further questions just let me know. Good to know your sputum is negative, regardless during your medical I believe they will ask you to undergo another sputum culture.

The clearance will also come from the infectious disease doctor from the Canada Panel Physician. But I think you can show the clearance from your hub to the CA panel not sure though if it will have any bearing.
Good to know about that . I thought you need to be undetectable before you get your visa. You had your medical in St lukes? Im still confused about all the requirements specially from that panel physician from canada. But i will ask you soon i hope you are not busy. Because i had my medical in Nationwide health system and they will send me all the requirements that i need to comply. Congrats btw hope to meet you soon in CANADA

Southernboy

Nov 11, 2021
Good to know about that . I thought you need to be undetectable before you get your visa. You had your medical in St lukes? Im still confused about all the requirements specially from that panel physician from canada. But i will ask you soon i hope you are not busy. Because i had my medical in Nationwide health system and they will send me all the requirements that i need to comply. Congrats btw hope to meet you soon in CANADA
The CA panel did not ask me any other requirements apart from what I mentioned on my previous post, if I missed anything here are the requirements on top of the usual medical test for CA:

-Sputum Culture
-Hepa A and C Test
-Repeat HIV and Syphilis test
-Confirmatory Document from DOH
-Signed IMM form for HIV counselling with CA Panel

That's all I can remember. Initially I was informed I might repeat xray, but they did not ask for it anymore in the end.

Yes I had my Medical at St lukes

Jahnvi_16

Mar 28, 2022
Hello Guys, I am an HIV positive for a year and now undetectable. I am willing to move to Canada on a student visa In India no one has idea about it, if anyone can help me if I can move to Canada or not? if yes then if anyone can help me with the medical process how it goes and what all documents are required.

Jahnvi_16

Mar 28, 2022
Yes I got the approval in 2 weeks. I am in Canada now. I have condition on my visa that I should reach to TB hospital in my province for a surveillance. If things are, okie you will get the approval, even though a bit late.
I also need help with the same , with the medical process thing can you please help

lloyd_tenzo

Oct 18, 2019
Amrit_92, I got the visa without any problems.
They run the blood tests to check your CD4 and viral load. If these are okie, there should be no problem. I wasn't even asked to show expenses for my medicines, as told by few lawyers and doctors. Although I had mentioned this in my SOP that the medical and medicines will be taken care by my family.
I have brought 3 months supply of ARV. After three months, my MSP kicks in and the ARVs will be covered by that free of charge. (this is for British Columbia). I had applied the visa using my admission letter from Concordia University which is in Montreal, Quebec. Quebec doesn't cover the whole cost of ARVs, but there are many resources where you can get it for free. I have few contacts there. I can help you with that if u are planning to go to Quebec.
From this experience I have realized that, HIV isn't a big deal with Canada, if your CD4 count is good and Viral load is undetectable.
They do make an issue with TB. So better do the Gamma Interferon test for TB because an HIV positive person will definitely be prescribed that.
Also, please inform your doctor about your status so that there are no delays and the additional tests for CD4 and viral load be done quickly.
Any question. Let me know.

Hi Gipps,

May I ask how was the life transition then during your first few months in Canada considering your health status. What were the things that you did that you think we should also do when we get there especially with our status? Did you had a hard time looking for a job and will they require medical once you land one?

Also, do you happen to know any hiv organization that we can connect to in Ontario especially on medication matters?

Btw, I got my student visa approval and will be attending school in Toronto. Hope to hear from you real soon. Thanks!

Kk28

Apr 23, 2022
Hi, I am from the Philippines and planning to apply for student permit this year. Just want to check if there is anybody PLHIV here preferably from the Philippines who are able to secure Student Permit. Just want to share exchange information.
Hi, I am also from the Phil planning to go to Canada to study. What is your status now? Did u manage to go to Canada? Thanks

Kk28

Apr 23, 2022
Hello,
Hi Gipps,

May I ask how was the life transition then during your first few months in Canada considering your health status. What were the things that you did that you think we should also do when we get there especially with our status? Did you had a hard time looking for a job and will they require medical once you land one?

Also, do you happen to know any hiv organization that we can connect to in Ontario especially on medication matters?

Btw, I got my student visa approval and will be attending school in Toronto. Hope to hear from you real soon. Thanks!
Hello Bro, I am planning also to go to Canada to study. Did u manage to go to Canada?

Kk28

Apr 23, 2022
Yes sure! Target ko this January 2022 na class and got my Loa narin from school after paying the tuition fee. Sana okay lang medicalz
Hi Bro, Im also planning to study to Canada(PLHIV). Did you manage to go to Canada? If Yes po, how did you make it?

Southernboy

Nov 11, 2021
Woah! Nice bro. How about your medication bro? Is it covered by an insurance or you need to pay by your own?
You have to be mindful of the Province you will be going to as a student. Not all provinces' health insurance are the same, hence not all provinces' health insurance will cover for HIV medication.

British Columbia, Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Prince Edward Island offer universal coverage of antiretrovirals for all of their residents living with HIV. These are the province and territories you want to choose. New Brunswick has waived co-pay collection so if you study there you can also get your meds for free.

If you will choose Toronto (Ontario) you will have to pay for your medicines. Unless you qualify for Trillium Benefit (which covers only a couple of 2 in 2 HIV drugs Dovato and Juluca)., Though if your regimen in Philippines is 3 in 1 like Lamivudine, Tenifovir, Efavirenz, your doctor may not allow you to take Dovato or Juluca. So you will have to co-pay your meds if you are in Ontario