+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help to fill IMM5524E(PRTD) -- I received my COPR, I did not spent even a day in Canada

Var33

Jun 4, 2020
it is mentioned in my COPR that apply for PRTD if you are already out of Canada. Usually, IRCC sends PPR request to the applicant to get visa stamped and to receive COPR(this COPR does not mention that you are permanent resident, the applicant need to do a landing ) but the COPR I received is different than the COPR were being issued before. IRCC implemented this COPR because of COVID-19. My COPR clearly states that I am a permanent resident of Canada now and can avail the permanent resident benefits. At the end it also states that apply for PRTD if you are out of Canada.

I did not talk to agent, I am only following the instructions mentioned by the officer in my COPR letter.

Also, please let me know when you receive the response to the web form query you have raised.
Yes, that’s the exact COPR letter which I and my family has received. And it also says to apply for PRTD if u leave Canada.
This is the letter:
“I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card, you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visa office. “

Since we are already outside Canada I guess we will also have to apply for the same.
Sure will keep u posted on the webform reply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, that’s the exact COPR letter which I and my family has received. And it also says to apply for PRTD if u leave Canada.
This is the letter:
“I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card, you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visa office. “

Since we are already outside Canada I guess we will also have to apply for the same.
Sure will keep u posted on the webform reply.
You received special landing documents for inland applicants. You had not advised CIC that you had left Canada. You will need yo contact CIC and figure out whether you what to do. Your current special COPR May be withdrawn and you may need to go through the PPR, COPR normal process. When you contact CIC make sure to explain that you are actually out of Canada but seem to have received theeciql COPR emails that inland applicants are receiving and ask how you should move forward.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It clearly stated that I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada. You do not need to flagpole.

I have sent off to get my Permanent Residency Card however it looks as though they have stopped processing these, and there is serious delay (113 days). This means I will not get my PR Card for some time.

Unfortunately at the end of this month I need to fly abroad for family matters. If I leave Canada then I would not be able to re-enter as I do not have my PR card, which means I could try to get a PRTD - however it's not clear as to how long it would take to approve this which is another stress.

Would my BOWP still be activated or did that become invalid once I was confirmed a Permanent Resident of Canada?
You would need to risk being stuck out of Canada and will need to PR card or to try and enter via the US land border.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
it is mentioned in my COPR that apply for PRTD if you are already out of Canada. Usually, IRCC sends PPR request to the applicant to get visa stamped and to receive COPR(this COPR does not mention that you are permanent resident, the applicant need to do a landing ) but the COPR I received is different than the COPR were being issued before. IRCC implemented this COPR because of COVID-19. My COPR clearly states that I am a permanent resident of Canada now and can avail the permanent resident benefits. At the end it also states that apply for PRTD if you are out of Canada.

I did not talk to agent, I am only following the instructions mentioned by the officer in my COPR letter.

Also, please let me know when you receive the response to the web form query you have raised.
The big issue is that you were granted the special COPR and granted immediate PR because CIC thought you were in Canada and applying inland. The instructions to apply for PRTD is for if you leave Canada in the future and have not received your PR card yet. You should really be contacting CIC and explaining that you received the PR email but you are not actually in Canada. You would no5 have received the email had CIC been aware you were outside Canada.

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
The big issue is that you were granted the special COPR and granted immediate PR because CIC thought you were in Canada and applying inland. The instructions to apply for PRTD is for if you leave Canada in the future and have not received your PR card yet. You should really be contacting CIC and explaining that you received the PR email but you are not actually in Canada. You would no5 have received the email had CIC been aware you were outside Canada.
A lot of people stuck out of Canada because of COVID-19. they are not staying out of Canada by their wish. IRCC also considering this scenario valid that there will be people already out of Canada that is why they also say in COPR that "if you are already out of Canada to apply for travel document". I don't see any issue here.

Reactions: melito and Var33

Var33

Jun 4, 2020
You received special landing documents for inland applicants. You had not advised CIC that you had left Canada. You will need yo contact CIC and figure out whether you what to do. Your current special COPR May be withdrawn and you may need to go through the PPR, COPR normal process. When you contact CIC make sure to explain that you are actually out of Canada but seem to have received theeciql COPR emails that inland applicants are receiving and ask how you should move forward.
I came to my home country for 3 week vacation and got stuck due to COVID travel restrictions. I have already raised a webform and explained the whole situation. Waiting for their reply.
And in case, I am not a PR yet due to not being in Canada, instead of going through PPR process, I can travel on my Work Permit which is valid till next year and then do the rest of the process from Canada.

Sandhya.S

Star Member
May 22, 2020
It clearly stated that I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada. You do not need to flagpole.

I have sent off to get my Permanent Residency Card however it looks as though they have stopped processing these, and there is serious delay (113 days). This means I will not get my PR Card for some time.

Unfortunately at the end of this month I need to fly abroad for family matters. If I leave Canada then I would not be able to re-enter as I do not have my PR card, which means I could try to get a PRTD - however it's not clear as to how long it would take to approve this which is another stress.

Would my BOWP still be activated or did that become invalid once I was confirmed a Permanent Resident of Canada?
BWOP is invalid after you become PR. So that cannot be used for any purpose. I would suggest you to stay in Canada until the pandemic situation eases up. It would be very difficult to return once you come here.

Sandhya.S

Star Member
May 22, 2020
I came to my home country for 3 week vacation and got stuck due to COVID travel restrictions. I have already raised a webform and explained the whole situation. Waiting for their reply.
And in case, I am not a PR yet due to not being in Canada, instead of going through PPR process, I can travel on my Work Permit which is valid till next year and then do the rest of the process from Canada.
BWOP is invalid now as you are PR.

gta88

Jun 30, 2018

if you became a PR and have already applied for PR card, then unfortunately BOWP status won't work here to the best of my knowledge. Experts can correct me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A lot of people stuck out of Canada because of COVID-19. they are not staying out of Canada by their wish. IRCC also considering this scenario valid that there will be people already out of Canada that is why they also say in COPR that "if you are already out of Canada to apply for travel document". I don't see any issue here.
There is certain processing doneif someone if applying outland or inland. Applying for a PRTD may take longer than if you had updated your profile and said you were no longer in Canada and now travelling abroad.

Nov 30, 2019
Hi @sumitkamboj88 , any updates at your end, did you get your PRTD for travel.
I am in a similar situation, any help from you will be very beneficial. Please reply!

I received my CoPR in September recently but wont be having my PR card anytime soon and am currently in Canada.
I need to travel URGENTLY to India in the coming week, just want to know if PRTD will be enough to travel back to Canada from India

and any issues in applying for PRTD, please share your insights and information.

Any help/info. is appreciated. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am in a similar situation, any help from you will be very beneficial. Please reply!

I received my CoPR in September recently but wont be having my PR card anytime soon and am currently in Canada.
I need to travel URGENTLY to India in the coming week, just want to know if PRTD will be enough to travel back to Canada from India

and any issues in applying for PRTD, please share your insights and information.

Yes you’ll need a PRTD but it could take some time to receive one.

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019

I received approval on PRTD application in 18 days but visa stamp on passport is still pending because VACs are closed in India. Applying PRTD is easy but advising on the timeline is quite challenging in these COVID days.

kishan9k

May 4, 2019
hello all,
I am currently in canada on my open workpermit which is vaild until next year. and i apply for permanent residence n March 2020. My application must be in the final stage right now and expecting COPR any time soon.
However, due to undeniable circumstances, i have to travel to home country for 3-4 weeks.

My query is should i inform CIC before my travel date about this journey as i am not sure what should i show them in order to enter in canada if i will receive my COPR before my journey or while i am out of canada. I am aware that WP will not be valid if i receive my COPR during that time. DID anyone faced the same situation before and how long it takes now a days for PRTD process?? any insights @canuck78 @sumitkamboj88

Any help is appreciated. thank you all