+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help to fill IMM5524E(PRTD) -- I received my COPR, I did not spent even a day in Canada

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I had applied for PR CEC-inland and received COPR today. I am a temporary resident of Canada on work permit. I came back for a vacation before COVID-19 but could not return back to Canada because of travel restrictions. My work permit has been expired and I received my COPR. In order to travel back to Canada, I need a permanent resident travel document.

There is a requirement to prove the residency obligation but I have not spent even a day in Canada after getting COPR. What should I fill in IMM5524E form in following points?

15 - Time spent in Canada - This is for the time I spent in Canada since I became PR but I have not spent a day. should I leave this blank??
19- Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds - Should I leave this blank or should provide some explanation that why I am out of Canada?

To prove my temporary residance in Canada I have many documents, eg. bank statement, CRA notice of assessment, Mobile Bill, Gas bill. Should I submit these with my PRTD application?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Thanks
Sumit

Reactions: sahib 123

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
It is mentioned in my COPR that "If you are already out of Canada, you need to obtain a permanent resident travel document... follow the instruction on a given link".

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I had applied for PR CEC-inland and received COPR today. I am a temporary resident of Canada on work permit. I came back for a vacation before COVID-19 but could not return back to Canada because of travel restrictions. My work permit has been expired and I received my COPR. In order to travel back to Canada, I need a permanent resident travel document.

There is a requirement to prove the residency obligation but I have not spent even a day in Canada after getting COPR. What should I fill in IMM5524E form in following points?

15 - Time spent in Canada - This is for the time I spent in Canada since I became PR but I have not spent a day. should I leave this blank??
19- Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds - Should I leave this blank or should provide some explanation that why I am out of Canada?

To prove my temporary residance in Canada I have many documents, eg. bank statement, CRA notice of assessment, Mobile Bill, Gas bill. Should I submit these with my PRTD application?

Thanks
Sumit
Where were you when you got your COPR? If you were outside Canada, then you are NOT a PR yet. The COPR usually says "not a valid travel document" but does NOT state to apply for a PRTD.

Reactions: asaeed100

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Where were you when you got your COPR? If you were outside Canada, then you are NOT a PR yet. The COPR usually says "not a valid travel document" but does NOT state to apply for a PRTD.
I am in India because of Covid-19 and could not return back to Canada as planned.
A lot has changed about the processing of inland PR because of COVID-19. Usually, I should receive a PPR before COPR but I did not receive PPR request instead directly COPR. Here I am adding the snippet of my COPR which states that I am a permanent resident of Canada and instruct to apply for PRTD.

Code:
Dear XXX,
I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now
complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration,
Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are
a permanent resident of Canada .........
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card (or if you are already outside of
Canada), you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visaoffice. Otherwise, you will not be able to board a commercial vehicle (plane, train, bus or
boat) to come back to Canada. Please visit our website for more information.

I hope it clarifies now.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am in India because of Covid-19 and could not return back to Canada as planned.
A lot has changed about the processing of inland PR because of COVID-19. Usually, I should receive a PPR before COPR but I did not receive PPR request instead directly COPR. Here I am adding the snippet of my COPR which states that I am a permanent resident of Canada and instruct to apply for PRTD.

Code:
Dear XXX,
I am pleased to advise you that your application for permanent residence in Canada is now
complete. Congratulations! You are now a permanent resident of Canada!
This letter constitutes an official document issued by the Department of Immigration,
Refugees and Citizenship Canada. You can provide a copy of this letter to prove that you are
a permanent resident of Canada .........
If you leave Canada without a permanent resident card (or if you are already outside of
Canada), you will have to apply for a permanent resident travel document through a visaoffice. Otherwise, you will not be able to board a commercial vehicle (plane, train, bus or
boat) to come back to Canada. Please visit our website for more information.

I hope it clarifies now.
Okay, I get it now. I just noticed you applied INLAND. This is a different COPR and has only been implemented since Covid. Usually, you would have needed to activate your PR at the border.

I would fill out the PRTD application accurately and include an explanation letter stating that you received approval of PR while outside Canada and so you have not been in Canada since your PR was granted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should have sent in a webform indicating you were no longer in Canada since you now have a special inland landing due to covid. Either you'll get a PRTD or you'll get a new COPR to land.

Reactions: niravrocky

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
You should have sent in a webform indicating you were no longer in Canada since you now have a special inland landing due to covid. Either you'll get a PRTD or you'll get a new COPR to land.
I thought I would be able to travel back as my WP is still valid till mid-June but as per the current situation, it seems that international travel is not going to open until the end of June.

Var33

Jun 4, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Sumit
Did u submit your PRTD? What is the estimated timeline to receive the approval and the travel docs?
I am also in the same situation - CEC inland, received COPR yesterday.
Came for vacation to India and stuck here now due to COVID. I have my Work Permit till next year but not sure if I can still travel on that after this PR approval.

Reactions: sahib 123

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Did u submit your PRTD? What is the estimated timeline to receive the approval and the travel docs?
I am also in the same situation - CEC inland, received COPR yesterday.
Came for vacation to India and stuck here now due to COVID. I have my Work Permit till next year but not sure if I can still travel on that after this PR approval.
not yet, I am preparing the documents and will submit in 10-12 days. IRCC can't estimate processing time these days because of COVID-19.

Var33

Jun 4, 2020
not yet, I am preparing the documents and will submit in 10-12 days. IRCC can't estimate processing time these days because of COVID-19.
Ok.Thanks for the reply. Have have one more doubt.. Can u plz let me know from where u got the information that we can apply for PRTD without spending anytime as PR in Canada(since we r in India right now) Did u call IRCC and they told u this?

I am confused regarding this coz I called them yesterday to ask the same but the agent said u can’t apply for PRTD since u are not PR yet and have not landed so u need to go through the usual process of PPR and after entry visa stamping only u can fly. And since VAC in India is closed so we need to wait. But the CoPR letter clearly says that we have PR status now but the agent didn’t seem to have any knowledge of any change in this process which was surprising, Plus we have not got any PPR request just direct CoPR letter.

He also said we can not travel on my current Work Permit. Dont know why he said this coz according to him we r not PR yet.

I have also raised a webform to clear my doubt but not sure by when will get a reply.
I just hope upon applying, PRTD is approved without any issue coz no one seems to know anything about this new process.

Reactions: sumitkamboj88

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Ok.Thanks for the reply. Have have one more doubt.. Can u plz let me know from where u got the information that we can apply for PRTD without spending anytime as PR in Canada(since we r in India right now) Did u call IRCC and they told u this?

I am confused regarding this coz I called them yesterday to ask the same but the agent said u can’t apply for PRTD since u are not PR yet and have not landed so u need to go through the usual process of PPR and after entry visa stamping only u can fly. And since VAC in India is closed so we need to wait. But the CoPR letter clearly says that we have PR status now but the agent didn’t seem to have any knowledge of any change in this process which was surprising, Plus we have not got any PPR request just direct CoPR letter.

He also said we can not travel on my current Work Permit. Dont know why he said this coz according to him we r not PR yet.

I have also raised a webform to clear my doubt but not sure by when will get a reply.
I just hope upon applying, PRTD has approved without any issue coz no one seems to know anything about this new process.
it is mentioned in my COPR that apply for PRTD if you are already out of Canada. Usually, IRCC sends PPR request to the applicant to get visa stamped and to receive COPR(this COPR does not mention that you are permanent resident, the applicant need to do a landing ) but the COPR I received is different than the COPR were being issued before. IRCC implemented this COPR because of COVID-19. My COPR clearly states that I am a permanent resident of Canada now and can avail the permanent resident benefits. At the end it also states that apply for PRTD if you are out of Canada.

I did not talk to agent, I am only following the instructions mentioned by the officer in my COPR letter.

Also, please let me know when you receive the response to the web form query you have raised.

lloyd153

May 31, 2019
It clearly stated that I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada. You do not need to flagpole.

I have sent off to get my Permanent Residency Card however it looks as though they have stopped processing these, and there is serious delay (113 days). This means I will not get my PR Card for some time.

Unfortunately at the end of this month I need to fly abroad for family matters. If I leave Canada then I would not be able to re-enter as I do not have my PR card, which means I could try to get a PRTD - however it's not clear as to how long it would take to approve this which is another stress.

Would my BOWP still be activated or did that become invalid once I was confirmed a Permanent Resident of Canada?

sumitkamboj88

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
It clearly stated that I am now a Permanent Resident of Canada. You do not need to flagpole.

I have sent off to get my Permanent Residency Card however it looks as though they have stopped processing these, and there is serious delay (113 days). This means I will not get my PR Card for some time.

Unfortunately at the end of this month I need to fly abroad for family matters. If I leave Canada then I would not be able to re-enter as I do not have my PR card, which means I could try to get a PRTD - however it's not clear as to how long it would take to approve this which is another stress.

Would my BOWP still be activated or did that become invalid once I was confirmed a Permanent Resident of Canada?
I don't know the answer to your question but thanks for sharing your experience. I heard that COPR holder can enter Canada via land(from US) with any other identity issued by any Canadian province/territory.