+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help!! Residency Obligation question

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
without valid PR card, how can someone prove their status and eligibility to work in Canada? Expired documents cannot be proof and are never accepted anywhere. there are 2 key aspects that every employer would look for.. taxes and legal status. SIN number will satisfy only taxation part and I understand PRs have specific SIN, but SIN is not a photo identity and it also cannot tell if a person is currently having the same status or not.. Companies need to know if someone is in valid status and are authorized to work or not. I am not sure how can someone prove that if they don't have valid PR card.
What do you mean by that?

A person that is NOT a PR (those on a work permit, for example) have a SIN that starts with a specific number (9)

Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas).

Fun fact:

Social Insurance Numbers can be validated through a simple check digit process called the Luhn algorithm.

046 454 286 <--- A fictitious, but valid, SIN.
121 212 121 <--- Multiply every second digit by 2.

The result of the multiplication is:

0 8 6 8 5 8 2 16 6

Then, add all of the digits together (note that 16 is 1+6):

0 + 8 + 6 + 8 + 5 + 8 + 2 + 1+6 + 6 = 50

If the SIN is valid, this number will be evenly divisible by 10.

[source] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_insurance_number

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
What do you mean by that?

A person that is NOT a PR (those on a work permit, for example) have a SIN that starts with a specific number (9)

Social Insurance Numbers that begin with the number "9" are issued to temporary residents who are not Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents (e.g., foreign students, individuals on work visas).

Fun fact:

Social Insurance Numbers can be validated through a simple check digit process called the Luhn algorithm.

046 454 286 <--- A fictitious, but valid, SIN.
121 212 121 <--- Multiply every second digit by 2.

The result of the multiplication is:

0 8 6 8 5 8 2 16 6

Then, add all of the digits together (note that 16 is 1+6):

0 + 8 + 6 + 8 + 5 + 8 + 2 + 1+6 + 6 = 50

If the SIN is valid, this number will be evenly divisible by 10.

[source] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_insurance_number
so what if someone who was PR, but lost the status for not meeting RO? I presume their SIN status active, but not they are no longer in the status.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
so what if someone who was PR, but lost the status for not meeting RO? I presume their SIN status active, but not they are no longer in the status.
What if, what if?

The answer is not that there are conceivably exceptions or problems, but a) what is the employer required to do?, and b) what is the employer allowed to do (in terms of requesting info)?

Answer to a), from my looking into this, is get the SIN number from employee - except where the SIN begins with a 9.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/reports/employers.html

Or more simply: it is generally NOT the employer's responsibility to check the employee's right to work in Canada, if they have a SIN that doesn't start with 9. (If there is an issue, the CRA will contact the employer to ask for clarification/confirmation - it does happen sometimes). You'll also see on that page that they do have ways to check the SIN number. (I would assume that govt can cancel/suspend SIN validity for work if PR status has been revoked - but that's their problem, not the employer's, and actually pretty rare).

I do not fully know the answer to b), but there are limits to what they can ask for. They can certainly ask for other ID, but there's no rule that it must be PR documentation. Other ID could include things like driver's license, passport, whatever. And again, I'm not sure an employer can insist on a PR card.

[Note: this is not intended to be advice for employers. There are some issues that could cause problems, and I'm not a lawyer; an employer who intentionally employs someone and knows they are not entitled to work in Canada could have issues, for example. But that's a different matter than being required to present a PR card, and it's a long way from thinking they should check right to work to saying that they must request a PR card.]

Samrao100

Mar 13, 2022
Some of these replies are quite lengthy & elaborate, might read them in their entirety tomorrow; but anyway interesting , & jumping in here with my case … similar & also to the point that it involves calculating each & every day outside/ in Canada & also cutting it close (732 days when I applied & left from YYZ very same day for India on Jan 15 ‘23
Some might recall my post mid March 22 when I speculated about my chances of getting a (f purpose of land border entry) U.S. visa towards mid or end 22, leaving Canada short by 100 or more days RO to go see my 92 year old mom whom I’d left alone w an attendant all of 2022 (& half of ‘21). Anyway don’t have that problem now, lived all of 2022 & 1/2 Jan ‘23; reached India and applied also for a PRTD right away. Won’t lose any of the 732 days until end of Mar ‘23 even if I have to apply for another PRTD since I wasn’t in Canada in Jan or Feb ‘17; 5 years ago. Immediately received a reply from IRCC requesting mailing documents to provide proof of RO, which I have done but not sure where to mail to.

Anyway, I have proof of each an every trip outside Canada, not just entry, exit stamps on passport but also boarding passes, some not legible as photocopies but luckily the corresponding passport stamp is. Also tax return of 2021 & pay slips of 2022 & rent receipts & bank letters. So if this does go into Secondary review, I’m well prepared, hopefully (as to why it’s so close to 730) & could always assert the Covid factor as to not residing in 2020, & not wanting to leave such an aged parent by herself any longer who, is showing (Now) signs of dementia bcos of basically not interacting with the outside world (other than attendant) all of 2022. And hope that since I’m with her in person now, that some of these effects could be reduced or perhaps mitigated.

My query is, since the Secondary review seems imminent, would this be a request for more documents to be sent/ emailed or an In person ( or video) interview? And at a Consulate in India or at the IRCC office in Canada? And what time frame might I be looking at?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some of these replies are quite lengthy & elaborate, might read them in their entirety tomorrow; but anyway interesting , & jumping in here with my case … similar & also to the point that it involves calculating each & every day outside/ in Canada & also cutting it close (732 days when I applied & left from YYZ very same day for India on Jan 15 ‘23
Some might recall my post mid March 22 when I speculated about my chances of getting a (f purpose of land border entry) U.S. visa towards mid or end 22, leaving Canada short by 100 or more days RO to go see my 92 year old mom whom I’d left alone w an attendant all of 2022 (& half of ‘21). Anyway don’t have that problem now, lived all of 2022 & 1/2 Jan ‘23; reached India and applied also for a PRTD right away. Won’t lose any of the 732 days until end of Mar ‘23 even if I have to apply for another PRTD since I wasn’t in Canada in Jan or Feb ‘17; 5 years ago. Immediately received a reply from IRCC requesting mailing documents to provide proof of RO, which I have done but not sure where to mail to.

Anyway, I have proof of each an every trip outside Canada, not just entry, exit stamps on passport but also boarding passes, some not legible as photocopies but luckily the corresponding passport stamp is. Also tax return of 2021 & pay slips of 2022 & rent receipts & bank letters. So if this does go into Secondary review, I’m well prepared, hopefully (as to why it’s so close to 730) & could always assert the Covid factor as to not residing in 2020, & not wanting to leave such an aged parent by herself any longer who, is showing (Now) signs of dementia bcos of basically not interacting with the outside world (other than attendant) all of 2022. And hope that since I’m with her in person now, that some of these effects could be reduced or perhaps mitigated.

My query is, since the Secondary review seems imminent, would this be a request for more documents to be sent/ emailed or an In person ( or video) interview? And at a Consulate in India or at the IRCC office in Canada? And what time frame might I be looking at?
Can't you reply to IRCC asking them where to send your `mountain' of evidence?

Did you give consent for IRCC to get CBSA records of your exit/entry records? If you're being asked for R.O. proof, you may already be in secondary review.

Reactions: Samrao100

Samrao100

Mar 13, 2022
Can't you reply to IRCC asking them where to send your `mountain' of evidence?

Did you give consent for IRCC to get CBSA records of your exit/entry records? If you're being asked for R.O. proof, you may already be in secondary review.
Yes, to both questions.
Have sent the 'mountain ' of evidence physically to Bengaluru Consulate (was able to speak to a live agent only at the Delhi High Commission, same agent twice within 1/2 hour) , she said Bengaluru deals w PRTD, not Mumbai (am resident of Pune)& also replied to the IRCC email attaching 8 or so PDF files less than 25 MB total (cc'd to Delhi & Bengaluru also but didn't go thru to either general email bcos of size ) . Also filled a Webform & replied to IRCC asking where to mail. Waiting for various replies.

Yes, did give IRCC permission for accessing entry/exit records. From another response in this thread, I see that exit records r generally available only after Sep 21. And gave them my SIN # so they could access my tax filing records. Oh , that was in the PR application I remember, the PRTD one dont exactly remember but likely never said No

So , good to know, if they require more RO proof, that am already in Secondary review. Am ready for it, except that some Boarding passes that I physically mailed are not readable as photocopies.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Anyway, I have proof of each an every trip outside Canada, not just entry, exit stamps on passport but also boarding passes, some not legible as photocopies but luckily the corresponding passport stamp is. Also tax return of 2021 & pay slips of 2022 & rent receipts & bank letters. So if this does go into Secondary review, I’m well prepared . . .

There is little or no reason to anticipate that Secondary Review is imminent. Odds are you keep or lose PR status depending on what decision is made on the PR TD application you have already made, based on what you have submitted (assuming you have submitted the "proof of RO" requested). If there is a negative decision, denying the PR TD and thereby terminating your PR status, there is a right of appeal.

Current Status . . . . ??? . . . What's At Stake . . .

My understanding is you have made an application for a PR Travel Document. If so, that's not an application which goes to "Secondary Review," at least not in the sense that a PR card application goes to Secondary Review. The visa office processing the application may, in some cases, request additional information and documents (and it appears that in your case they already have), but they can proceed to make a decision based on what was submitted with the application without extending any additional opportunity to provide more supporting information or evidence. This would be a decision to either issue a PR TD, or deny the application. If the application is denied that is a decision, an official decision, TERMINATING PR status. To save PR status the PR would need to appeal this and be successful in that appeal.

Actual procedures in particular cases, in practice, can vary. And I am not much informed about the procedural mechanics involved in processing particular PR TD applications, since, as I understand it, the logistics of the process can be different depending on where the PR is located abroad and which Visa Office handles the application. Anyway, it appears that you have already navigated this far.

Odds are, if you have submitted additional evidence already in response to a request, the visa office will proceed to make a decision based on what you have provided. Again, that will be an up or down decision, and if the application for a PR TD is denied that is a decision terminating PR status. Subject to appeal.

Hopefully the information and evidence you submitted was sufficiently well organized the decision-making officer will readily discern what is proof of residence in Canada, and what it proves, versus what is evidence of H&C reasons for allowing you to keep your PR status if it is determined you have failed to prove you complied with the RO. And, based on one or the other, grant the application and issue a PR TD.

If you are issued a PR TD . . .

If you are issued a PR TD
, you are good to go, meaning good to come to Canada, and that also means your PR status is intact.

Whether it is a multiple-use TD, and how long it will be valid for, varies. I do not know how to predict which it will be. A single-use TD is typically valid for six months. Multiple-use TDs can be valid for six months, a year, or up to five years but only for as long as the PR's current passport is valid (that is, if this applies, the TD will expire the same date as the passport expires).

If the decision to issue a PR TD is based on H&C reasons, it will ordinarily be coded RC-1.

If your PR TD application is denied . . .

If your PR TD application is denied, again that constitutes an official decision terminating PR status. There is a right of appeal. To save your PR status you would need to appeal and be successful in the appeal.

This leads to some further observations in regards to the content of your query.

". . . even if I have to apply for another PRTD . . . "​

The context for this is not clear to me. But one thing you should be clear about, however, is if your current PR TD application is denied, that's it, your status will have been adjudicated, concluding you failed to comply with the RO, and you lose PR status (again, subject to appeal). There is no opportunity to apply again (unless you appeal and win).

If you are referring to the possibility of being issued a PR TD but not being able to return to Canada within the time it will be valid, I don't follow the dates you reference. Any PR TD issued now will be valid for at least months beyond March 2023. So if you have 732 days credit, now, and will begin losing some credit as of March 2023, if you fail to timely use a PR TD issued now, for the application you have already made, you will obviously be relying H&C relief if and when you "apply for another PRTD" later in the year or beyond.

Why I Am Responding: Some clarification regarding "proof of RO."

This is apart from navigating the logistics of submitting documents. This is about what is submitted. This is about what constitutes "proof of RO."

Note 1: For what constitutes proof of "residency" see the guide for the general PR TD application here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html#appendixa
Note 2: This is about evidence showing you were resident IN Canada, not about dates of travel.

BUT first, importantly, proof of meeting the RO and making a H&C case for keeping PR status despite failing to meet the RO are DISTINCT. And in the organization of materials the PR submits, these should be clearly separate. Which brings up handling and presenting a "mountain of evidence."

What many overlook is that submitting a "mountain of evidence" is often a mistake. And it is definitely a mistake to submit a "mountain of evidence" without carefully structuring the presentation and organizing the evidence in a fashion which highlights the best evidence clearly connected to the particular matters it documents, what it proves. The main problem is that a mountain of evidence is typically, to a large extent, overweight with a lot of irrelevant, barely relevant, or redundant evidence, and the sheer volume (unless very well organized and presented) risks overshadowing and obscuring the best evidence, the evidence which actually makes the case.

So, back to the guide (link is above) and what it instructs about proof of RO:

Well documented travel history MIGHT help. Will not hurt. But when a PR needs to provide "supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation" the guide for the PR TD application states:

You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
  • employment records or pay stubs;
  • bank statements;
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
  • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
  • rental agreements;
  • club memberships;
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
See any airline tickets or boarding passes listed here? It warrants remembering that travel history only directly proves two days of actual presence per trip. That's it. The day the PR enters Canada, that's one. The day the PR exits Canada, that's the second. Beyond that it is about whether all the available information supports an inference of presence other days . . . the big one, the inference almost everyone hangs their hat on, is an inference of presence in Canada the days after the day the PR arrives here.

That's not an automatic or guaranteed inference, and especially not when the PR is outside Canada without a valid PR card, in which event it is assumed the PR does NOT have valid PR status.

To get the benefit of the inference of presence in Canada for days following entry, that is the inference the PR was in Canada the days between a known date of entry and the next reported date of exit (no matter how well dates of entry and exit are documented), IRCC requires some evidence the PR was physically residing in Canada during those periods of time.

You say you have submitted such evidence. Pay slips and rent receipts and bank letters for example. And tax returns (noting that copies of the Notice of Assessment from CRA are better).

I sense you covered the more recent year and a half in Canada, which gets you close. Close enough? I cannot say, not anywhere near with confidence anyway. More evidence documenting your residence during this year and a half would not help much. It would be redundant (proof of what has already been proven).

Last edited:

Samrao100

Mar 13, 2022
There is little or no reason to anticipate that Secondary Review is imminent If you are issued a PR TD, you are good to go, meaning good to come to Canada, and that also means your PR status is intact.

ELABORATION regarding documents sent & also Boarding Passes Relevance

Yes, agree that sending over a "Mountain of Evidence " that too, thru a email with too many attachments would hurt, rather than help my case.

Boarding Passes: this was suggested to me in 2016, when I think I met personally with the Consul General in Bengaluru before I collected my passport stamped w PRTD that I needed in a hurry for a trip to Singapore that same evening & eventually for return back to Canada. He'd said it was difficult to scrutinize my travel history from the entry/exit stamps on my passport & Boarding passes would give a Clearer picture... at least regarding days of my entry/exit from Canada. So Yes, copies of all pages of my passport, In Conjunction with corresponding Boarding Passes would hopefully provide a clearer picture of my travel history

As to not attach too many documents : I've just attached my CRA tax return of 2021 & ... 4 pay slips of 2022 , one dated Jan, one of Aug I think, & 2 of Dec including the last time I worked , towards the Dec end... not having filed taxes as yet for 2022, otherwise would have attached my return or Notice of Assessment
- Monthly rental receipt for my stay in Dec 2022, & one for Oct 2021.

-Squash Club annual membership fee receipt: period May '22 to Apr '23

2 letters from my bank HSBC delivered to my apartment address.

My BC DL & BC Services Card ( issued in 2021 Sep, only after I'd gone thru a similar process with the provincial government to verify my Residency in BC ... 3 months is their required period)

My Vaccine card & vaccination certificates for my 2nd dose & 1st booster shot administered in 2021 & '22 respectively.

The only proof of my Residency in 2018 I attached was my Interim BC DL

Last edited:

Samrao100

Mar 13, 2022
[QUOTE="dpenabill, post: 10355701, member: 43134
There is little or no reason to anticipate that Secondary Review is imminent.

". . . even if I have to apply for another PRTD . . . "

Yes, so I’ve applied for a PR Card renewal (on 15 Jan ‘23, same day as I left from Pearson Airport) & a PRTD on 24Jan ‘23, a week after my return to India. For the former, Yes there is likelihood of a Secondary Review, & more so because no supporting documentation of RO was enclosed (paper application); just I filled out about 20 entries of so in the Travel History section of the pdf form IM 5444E, & mailed it along with the Checklist, Proof of Payment, photos & ID proofs.

“Applying for Another PRTD” , this is based on my observation in this forum of others who’ve made some major error in the application (like spelling out their name incorrectly) & want to ReApply using the PR Application portal where I think there is a provision of doing so multiple times… not that I was thinking of doing so… but these days … when there’s such a backlog… & the communication not v clear… such as Where to Mail (or email) the supporting documents… even the one live agent (the only one) I spoke to at the New Delhi High Commission advising… in the lack of clarity… reply to the original IRCC email reply & attach all necessary PDFs.. cc to Delhi & Bengaluru…AND Also physically mail documents to the Bengaluru CGeneral. So if there’s no reply at all, easiest thing is to reapply a PRTD Again before Mar 26, without losing any of the 732 days RO. But that’s only a Worst Case Scenario; & based on some of these discussions I WILL get some reply, Positive or Negative before that.

I have indeed submitted documents , mostly indicating my residence in Canada during 2021 & 2022, & not much during 2020 or 19 or 18; except one Interim DL issued to me in 18. Here, i have to emphasise, all my visits in the previous 3 years were short visits, ranging from 6 to maybe 20 days in duration (16 such trips so that 16*10 on average comes to 160 days Residence ie little more than 6 months) & feel that the Exit/Entry records + Boarding passes might suffice as proof

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, back to the guide (link is above) and what it instructs about proof of RO:

Well documented travel history MIGHT help. Will not hurt. But when a PR needs to provide "supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation" the guide for the PR TD application states:

You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
  • employment records or pay stubs;
  • bank statements;
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
  • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
  • rental agreements;
  • club memberships;
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
See any airline tickets or boarding passes listed here? It warrants remembering that travel history only directly proves two days of actual presence per trip. That's it. The day the PR enters Canada, that's one. The day the PR exits Canada, that's the second. Beyond that it is about whether all the available information supports an inference of presence other days . . . the big one, the inference almost everyone hangs their hat on, is an inference of presence in Canada the days after the day the PR arrives here.

That's not an automatic or guaranteed inference, and especially not when the PR is outside Canada without a valid PR card, in which event it is assumed the PR does NOT have valid PR status.
THIS!

Since @Samrao100 states that they have calculated having 732 days in Canada when submitting the PR Card renewal application on Jan 15, 2023, one week prior to submitting the PRTD...even though they are `cutting it close', the Guide states that they technically did not have to provide anything from Appendix A, since they have declared NOT being outside of Canada for more than 1095 days...only 1093 days, correct?

From IMM 5444:
Important:

If your total time spent outside Canada is less than 1095 days, you appear to meet the residency requirements.

Additional documents you may need to complete and submit, if they apply:

• Proof of residency requirement: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years, provide supporting documents as they apply to you based on the situations outlined in Appendix A: Residency Obligation.

As an aside, this is one of the biggest reasons why people applying to renew their cards within Canada get hung up on this section! Because the PRTD Guide (IMM 5445) and the PR Card application Guide (IMM 5445) each contain the following, yet the application itself (IMM 5444) is used for either, it's confusing to some people:

`Proof of residency requirement: if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five (5) years, provide supporting documents as they apply to you based on the situations outlined in Appendix A: Residency Obligation.'

Those that have met the R.O when applying to renew, still think that they have to include `proof' from Appendix A even if they have NOT been outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. Having said that, I can see where @Samrao100 would be wise to include whatever they have from Appendix A, should they choose to submit a second PRTD [well] before March 26th, because of `cutting it close'!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Overall:

Caution:
what application is being discussed matters. This discussion includes references to a PR card application, a PR TD application, and a "PR application." I assume the latter was intended to be about either a PR card application or the PR TD application, NOT the original PR application, the application to obtain a PR visa. Some of this stuff can be confusing enough without complicating things; it's important to sort what is relevant to what.

My previous post was specifically about the PR Travel Document application, which @Samrao100 reports was made Jan 24, 2023.

The outcome of that application, the PR TD application, will determine (adjudicate) @Samrao100's status. That's the imminent, most important transaction/application currently on the table. How that goes will largely dictate what follows.

If the PR TD application is denied, that will be a decision TERMINATING @Samrao100's PR status. Subject to appeal. See my previous post for more detail regarding outcome if PR TD application is approved, a PR TD granted.

It is NOT likely (indeed highly unlikely) there will be any decision on the PR card application until there has been a decision on the PR TD application. Even if there was, even if that application is approved before the PR TD application is decided, it appears it will be approved based on meeting the PR Residency Obligation as of the date of the application. That will leave Samrao100 open to different outcomes in any subsequent RO compliance examination depending on the numbers (days in Canada within previous five years as of the operative date of the RO compliance examination). Example: IRCC issues new PR card and then later this year Samrao100 returns to Canada from abroad, say early September 2023; there could be a RO compliance examination upon arrival here, and if so, it will be based on days in Canada September 2018 to September 2023.

Since @Samrao100 states that they have calculated having 732 days in Canada when submitting the PR Card renewal application on Jan 15, 2023, one week prior to submitting the PRTD...even though they are `cutting it close', the Guide states that they technically did not have to provide anything from Appendix A, since they have declared NOT being outside of Canada for more than 1095 days...only 1093 days, correct?
See my previous post for link to the guidelines/instructions for the PR Travel Document application. They require the applicant to provide supporting documents. Apart from that, @Samrao100 reports "proof of RO" was specifically requested.

Yes, so I’ve applied for a PR Card renewal (on 15 Jan ‘23, same day as I left from Pearson Airport) & a PRTD on 24Jan ‘23, a week after my return to India. For the former, Yes there is likelihood of a Secondary Review, & more so because no supporting documentation of RO was enclosed (paper application); just I filled out about 20 entries of so in the Travel History section of the pdf form IM 5444E, & mailed it along with the Checklist, Proof of Payment, photos & ID proofs.
As I noted in my previous post:

There is little or no reason to anticipate that Secondary Review is imminent. Odds are you keep or lose PR status depending on what decision is made on the PR TD application you have already made, based on what you have submitted (assuming you have submitted the "proof of RO" requested). If there is a negative decision, denying the PR TD and thereby terminating your PR status, there is a right of appeal.
Again, there is no reason to anticipate that Secondary Review is imminent. And as I then went on to elaborate, there is no secondary review for a PR TD application (in the sense of Secondary Review of a PR card application), which is what mostly (not entirely) controls your fate, which is what will have the most influence in determining your Canadian status.

I did not address the pending PR card application. That's not likely to be processed pending a decision on the PR TD application, and now that it is clear to IRCC you are outside Canada it is not likely to be processed until you return to Canada.

Regarding processing the PR card application: Note that IRCC typically does NOT ask for additional documents attendant a Secondary Review of a PR card application. If IRCC questions whether the PR met the RO, the application is not ordinarily referred to Secondary Review but, rather, is referred to a local IRCC office to investigate the PR's RO compliance and, if there is concern about RO compliance, conduct a formal Residency Determination, which would involve a request for additional supporting documents and an interview, a formal RO compliance examination, which would determine if a 44(1) Report is issued.

There are other procedural paths (yeah, IRCC is a bureaucracy, bound by the laws of nature to complicate things). CPC can prepare a 44(1) Report if the PR card application shows, on its face, the PR is not in RO compliance. There are some anecdotal reports that CPC has made a request for additional supporting documents BEFORE referring the application to a local office, and where the application then goes is based on what is submitted (options include application approved, application referred to local office to complete a Residency Determination, or application referred to Secondary Review).

***Note regarding "Secondary Review" terminology: despite the differences in procedure, many forum participants refer to both Secondary Review AND referrals to local office for investigation of RO compliance as Secondary Review. One big difference between the two is that the application referred to Secondary Review tends to go into a dark hole for at least several or many months, and the PR knows very little about what is happening other than the application is in Secondary Review. In contrast, if and when IRCC is proceeding with a formal Residency Determination, that process begins more quickly and proceeds more quickly.​

“Applying for Another PRTD” , this is based on my observation in this forum of others who’ve made some major error in the application (like spelling out their name incorrectly) & want to ReApply using the PR Application portal where I think there is a provision of doing so multiple times…
If your PR TD application is denied, as I said, THAT's IT . . . unless there is a successful appeal there is no opportunity to re-apply.

If there is no decision on the PR TD application for technical or clerical reasons, which would include scenarios involving the application being returned, or the PR, the client actually applying, is not established, that's a separate matter. But make no mistake, if the Visa Office proceeds to make a decision on the PR TD application you have made, again that is what will mostly (not entirely but mostly) control your fate. And if that application is denied, there will be no opportunity to re-apply (unless there is a successful appeal).

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Boarding Passes: this was suggested to me in 2016, when I think I met personally with the Consul General in Bengaluru before I collected my passport stamped w PRTD . . .

As to not attach too many documents . . .
It would be very difficult to evaluate the weight of your evidence. There are way too many variables. I doubt anyone can reliably forecast how this will go.

There are risks. You have been cutting-it-close, really close, and based on your comments about going through the process of applying for a PR TD in 2016, I'm guessing you'd not be surprised if officials approach your case with an elevated degree of scrutiny, if not overt skepticism or suspicion. It appears that you are well past the first five years of having PR status and you have not yet settled permanently in Canada, or at the least you have long continued to spend more time outside Canada than here. That does not breach the RO, but of course it makes an impression, not the sort of impression that helps.

The good news, as others have referenced at least indirectly, is that the CBSA travel history which the IRCC officials will probably access and consider, and give a lot of weight, should confirm your travel history dates. And those records are, generally, more reliability complete as well as accurate than six, seven years ago. So, for example, IRCC is relying far, far less these days on passport stamps. So as long as the travel dates you reported match those in your CBSA travel history (bolstering your credibility), it should not take a whole lot of evidence of your presence in Canada, in-between arrival and exit dates, to tip the scales enough to get the PR TD.

Beyond that; highlighting the QUALITY of evidence:

Among the many variables is the quality of this or that evidence. Not all pay stubs are equally convincing. Not all supporting documents carry the same weight relative to proving presence in Canada. Receipt showing payment of a squash club annual membership fee for the period May '22 to Apr '23, for example, clearly is not proof you are IN Canada this month. So how much weight does it carry as proof you were in Canada in September or November 2022? It is relevant. It is supporting evidence. It can help make the case. So a lot can depend on what other evidence you submitted, and the quality of that evidence, in conjunction with how the deciding officer perceives you and your information generally. Your credibility is almost certainly a big factor in how this goes for you.

BUT the MAIN THING: you have made a PR TD application and that is what is going to determine (again, mostly, not entirely) how things go.

. . . That Said . . .

Beyond that, assuming that the outcome of the PR TD application allows you to keep PR status: that will put you largely in control of how things go after that. The particulars in how the PR TD application is resolved could have a significant impact on what choices you have, what your options are and what factors to consider in making decisions.

It cannot be said for certain, but if you get a PR TD and you return to Canada, your PR card application will likely be OK. It might end up in Secondary Review, but as long as you are staying in Canada that would only mean (most likely, not for certain) the worst case scenario is having to wait a long while to get a new card and perhaps having to do an in-person pick-up. REMEMBER: a new PR card will not restart the RO clock. If you leave Canada, even with a brand new PR card, you still need to be in RO compliance, meaning you need to have been IN Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years. OTHERWISE you would be relying on H&C relief (or casual, lenient screening at the PoE) the next time you return to Canada.

The ONLY SAFE approach (assuming you get a PR TD) is to return to Canada and STAY for a considerable time, at the very least STAY long enough to be in RO compliance AND long enough to remain in RO compliance when returning to Canada after any further travel abroad.

It appears you may want to spend more time abroad with your ailing parent. It would be a good idea to consult, in a paid-for, in-depth consultation, with a reputable immigration lawyer to help you make decisions about relying on H&C relief.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
See my previous post for link to the guidelines/instructions for the PR Travel Document application. They require the applicant to provide supporting documents.
Again, that only adds to the confusion, because the instructions for the actual PRTD/PR Card application (IMM 5444) show that Appendix A documents are only needed if the PR has been outside of Canada for 1095 days or more.

I do agree with what Ms. Roth penned in her Residency Appeals paper, describing `Active vs. Passive Evidence' of residency. A credit/debit card statement showing `activity' by the PR's shopping habits in Canada would be much more valuable than the squash club annual membership example you gave in a previous post.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
In regards to the @Samrao100 situation, and the PR TD application in particular, the supporting documents for "proof of RO" should have been included with the application, but additionally @Samrao100 received notice to submit this "proof of RO" anyway. I quoted the applicable part of Appendix A describing what to submit. There should be NO confusion about this.

There should also be NO confusion about the difference in what supporting documents need to be submitted with a PR TD application that are not necessarily required when making a PR card application.

For a PR TD application, supporting documents which show "residency" in Canada are required. In addition to the applicable instructions for a PR TD application, IMM 5529, also see the document checklist (IMM 5644) which, in the section titled "Applying for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD):" specifically provides for including (in addition to other documents to include) "Copies of supporting documents that show you meet the residency obligation. See Residency obligation section of the Instruction Guide (IMM 5529)."

So . . .
dpenabill said:
See my previous post for link to the guidelines/instructions for the PR Travel Document application. They require the applicant to provide supporting documents.
Again, that only adds to the confusion, because the instructions for the actual PRTD/PR Card application (IMM 5444) show that Appendix A documents are only needed if the PR has been outside of Canada for 1095 days or more.
I am not sure what is tripping you up about this. So I don't know how much detail to get into explaining things. I know you are trying to be helpful and are focused on sorting out how things actually work.

But sorry, no, the instructions for making a PR TD application clearly require the PR to submit supporting documents as described in Appendix A in the applicable guide. And, again, the applicable guide, for a PR TD application, is IMM 5529.

Perhaps this identifies what you have missed:
Because the PRTD Guide (IMM 5445) and the PR Card application Guide (IMM 5445) each contain the following . . .
NO, there are separate guides/instructions for PR TD applications (IMM 5529) and PR card applications (IMM 5445).

PR TD application instructions: Again, the guide for the PR TD application is IMM 5529. It is titled: "Guide 5529 - Applying for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)" and, again, is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html NOTE/CAUTION: there are also country specific requirements, so additional documents may need to be included. Follow link to get checklist and forms on the IRCC's how-to-apply page AFTER selecting the country the application will be made from. How-to-apply page is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html

PR card application instructions: The guide/instructions for a PR card application is IMM 5445. It is titled "Guide IMM 5445 - Applying for a permanent resident card (PR card)" and is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

Checklist Reminder: there is also a separate, specific list of documents to include with the application, when applying for a PR TD, in the document checklist, that is IMM 5644. This checklist is used for both a PR TD application and PR card applications, some parts applying to both applications, some parts applying to just one or the other. For PR TD applications it lists RO-compliance related supporting documents, for example.