+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help pr card renewal

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Hi everyone just need help/advice
I have forgotten to renew our pr cards and now they are all expired.
My PR card validity was from (2017-2022 and only absence is 52 days) and this is the 2nd time I have renewed my pr card. I have been resident since 2011. It has expired since 2022 (2years ago)
My wife pr card validity was from (2014-2019 only absense 101days) she has been resident since 2014. It expired 2019 (4years ago).

since 2017 we never left the country and we are inside canada. Can we renew our cards without any question or problem? Or can we just apply for citizenship? Which is better?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone just need help/advice
I have forgotten to renew our pr cards and now they are all expired.
My PR card validity was from (2017-2022 and only absence is 52 days) and this is the 2nd time I have renewed my pr card. I have been resident since 2011. It has expired since 2022 (2years ago)
My wife pr card validity was from (2014-2019 only absense 101days) she has been resident since 2014. It expired 2019 (4years ago).

since 2017 we never left the country and we are inside canada. Can we renew our cards without any question or problem? Or can we just apply for citizenship? Which is better?
You can reside in Canada without valid PR card. PR cards are used to travel back to Canada once you travel outside.
You can apply to renew it as long as you meet RO (and it sounds like both of you meet RO).
You can also apply for citizenship but I haven't keep track of citizenship wait time now. If you think you may need to travel while waiting, you can apply for PR card and apply for citizenship. There is no conflict to apply for both.

Reactions: Pitaklan

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
You can reside in Canada without valid PR card. PR cards are used to travel back to Canada once you travel outside.
You can apply to renew it as long as you meet RO (and it sounds like both of you meet RO).
You can also apply for citizenship but I haven't keep track of citizenship wait time now. If you think you may need to travel while waiting, you can apply for PR card and apply for citizenship. There is no conflict to apply for both.
Thank you we are planning to apply both just in case. Its just that i am more concern of the card is expired and it was a long time expired and thinking they might give us a hard time. This was also due to covid and we had difficult time during those times as my wife was pregnant 3 consecutive years covid times.

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you we are planning to apply both just in case. Its just that i am more concern of the card is expired and it was a long time expired and thinking they might give us a hard time. This was also due to covid and we had difficult time during those times as my wife was pregnant 3 consecutive years covid times.
Shouldn't be an issue.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Can i actually apply the citizenship first then renewal of pr card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can i do the citizenship first and then pr?
You can submit the citizenship app first and then the PR card renewal if you like, yes.

I'd suggest doing the PR card one first because it seems some of these - esp simple ones where the PRs have been in Canada and well over the minimum residency obligation - get approved very quickly.

But entirely up to you and you can do them simultaneously or in whatever order you like.

Reactions: YVR123 and Pitaklan

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Apply in whatever order you like, although I'd suggest the pR card renewal first. No need to wait for the new PR card to arrive though.
Thanks actually the logic is that to save some sort of cash. We are not going anywhere as everyone knows its very expensive now adays to travel.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
PR card renewal costs only $50.
Hi again
Just wanted a follow up question. If we didnt renew our pr card what would be implications. And if we did how do they use the 5 year rolling period for example my wifes pr card valid from 2014-2019 absence is 101 days. It has been expired for 4 years. Are they going to use 2014-2019 or from 2019-2025? Also i keep reading notes online and seeing this
“As a permanent resident, you have certain obligations which you must meet or your status as a permanent resident will be considered invalid”.
what are other obligations other than residing in canada for 730 days? Is renewing PR CARD on time part of that obligation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If we didnt renew our pr card what would be implications.
You would have a PR card and be able to travel easily, use it as identification / demonstrate you are a PR, and having been through that process may possibly make citizenship go smoother (minor things like they ask you to show/return your PR card - possible to get around it but a bit smoother with it). But it's not required and not a big deal if you don't.

And if we did how do they use the 5 year rolling period for example my wifes pr card valid from 2014-2019 absence is 101 days. It has been expired for 4 years. Are they going to use 2014-2019 or from 2019-2025? Also i keep reading notes online and seeing this
“As a permanent resident, you have certain obligations which you must meet or your status as a permanent resident will be considered invalid”.
what are other obligations other than residing in canada for 730 days? Is renewing PR CARD on time part of that obligation?
1) You misunderstand the RO, it's a rolling obligation - any day on which you are examined, they look back five years. Apply today, and they use March 2019-2024 (well, actually, they may do it on the day they open it, but no difference). But if you apply now, they won't be going back and looking at previous periods at all (well, possibly out of curiosity that you didn't renew before, but it seems you are obviously and transparently in Canada and have been for many years). You have nothing to worry about.

2) Other responsibilities are things like don't be a criminal, etc. They may check that stuff but don't worry about it.

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
You would have a PR card and be able to travel easily, use it as identification / demonstrate you are a PR, and having been through that process may possibly make citizenship go smoother (minor things like they ask you to show/return your PR card - possible to get around it but a bit smoother with it). But it's not required and not a big deal if you don't.

1) You misunderstand the RO, it's a rolling obligation - any day on which you are examined, they look back five years. Apply today, and they use March 2019-2024 (well, actually, they may do it on the day they open it, but no difference). But if you apply now, they won't be going back and looking at previous periods at all (well, possibly out of curiosity that you didn't renew before, but it seems you are obviously and transparently in Canada and have been for many years). You have nothing to worry about.

2) Other responsibilities are things like don't be a criminal, etc. They may check that stuff but don't worry about it.
Thank you will follow thru your advice apply both. Just worried about the expiry date thats all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you will follow thru your advice apply both. Just worried about the expiry date thats all.
If you mean that the old cards expired, nothing to worry about. You've both been in Canada without leaving since 2017, assuming you've not been living in a cave (i.e. there is some minimal record of living here), there should be no issue at all. If you feel the need, you can include a short letter of explanation that you hadn't renewed old PR card because ... you never left and had no need.