+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help pr card renewal

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
If you mean that the old cards expired, nothing to worry about. You've both been in Canada without leaving since 2017, assuming you've not been living in a cave (i.e. there is some minimal record of living here), there should be no issue at all. If you feel the need, you can include a short letter of explanation that you hadn't renewed old PR card because ... you never left and had no need.
Yes we have been living permanently. What do you mean by “there is some minimal record of living here?

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
If you mean that the old cards expired, nothing to worry about. You've both been in Canada without leaving since 2017, assuming you've not been living in a cave (i.e. there is some minimal record of living here), there should be no issue at all. If you feel the need, you can include a short letter of explanation that you hadn't renewed old PR card because ... you never left and had no need.
You mean that we have proof that canada is our home and residence? We have our travel documents have only 4 stamps in 2 pages the rest of 43 pages are empty no stamp at all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You mean that we have proof that canada is our home and residence? We have our travel documents have only 4 stamps in 2 pages the rest of 43 pages are empty no stamp at all.
I'd urge you to take a look at the PR card renewal forms. They ask some questions about how much you've been in Canada. They ask for some evidence (not much, two pieces) of residency in Canada - eg notice of assessment from taxes, other documents. Basically if you have jobs and are paying taxes, rent or own a place, have a bank account, pay utilities, you'll have MORE than enough evidence.

Since you'll have plenty of evidence and no recent exit/entry records, it'll look like what it is - that you've just been living in Canada, doing your thing.

[If you were living in a cave and had no contact with official Canada, you might have more difficulty.]

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
I'd urge you to take a look at the PR card renewal forms. They ask some questions about how much you've been in Canada. They ask for some evidence (not much, two pieces) of residency in Canada - eg notice of assessment from taxes, other documents. Basically if you have jobs and are paying taxes, rent or own a place, have a bank account, pay utilities, you'll have MORE than enough evidence.

Since you'll have plenty of evidence and no recent exit/entry records, it'll look like what it is - that you've just been living in Canada, doing your thing.

[If you were living in a cave and had no contact with official Canada, you might have more difficulty.]
Ohh okey thanks. I am just going nuts for couple of days (scared) because of that expiry date thing. We have not doing anything wrong or did anything. We are living just a normal family just like every other family out there.
But thank you soo much probably just paranoid about this problem.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ohh okey thanks. I am just going nuts for couple of days (scared) because of that expiry date thing. We have not doing anything wrong or did anything. We are living just a normal family just like every other family out there.
But thank you soo much probably just paranoid about this problem.
The expired PR card is an absolutely zero problem. Breathe deeply and move on.

odonacer

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Hi everyone just need help/advice
I have forgotten to renew our pr cards and now they are all expired.
My PR card validity was from (2017-2022 and only absence is 52 days) and this is the 2nd time I have renewed my pr card. I have been resident since 2011. It has expired since 2022 (2years ago)
My wife pr card validity was from (2014-2019 only absense 101days) she has been resident since 2014. It expired 2019 (4years ago).

since 2017 we never left the country and we are inside canada. Can we renew our cards without any question or problem? Or can we just apply for citizenship? Which is better?
Hello
I have similar issue with my PR card so I'm looking for these cases as mine and how they were resolved.
One question that I have now is about PR card expiry date and life in Canada during this time, for example how can you apply for a new job, or show the card to a police officer if needed and the card is expired - what will be in this case?
I mean, currently I reside in another country and I plan to move to Canada, but I have my card already expired. Assume I'd be able to move through border service officer successfully, but then what? Will I be able to apply for a job with expired card?
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello
I have similar issue with my PR card so I'm looking for these cases as mine and how they were resolved.
One question that I have now is about PR card expiry date and life in Canada during this time, for example how can you apply for a new job, or show the card to a police officer if needed and the card is expired - what will be in this case?
I mean, currently I reside in another country and I plan to move to Canada, but I have my card already expired. Assume I'd be able to move through border service officer successfully, but then what? Will I be able to apply for a job with expired card?
Thanks
You do not have a similar issue with OP. You are living outside of Canada with an expired PR card. OP is living inside Canada and rarely travel. OP and his spouse meet their RO.
Do you meet your RO? If so, you can apply for PRTD and use that to return to Canada.

I have no idea why you think employer or police will ask for a PR card. There are more common identifications in Canada (SIN card for work and driver's license/provincial ID for day to day ID).

odonacer

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
You do not have a similar issue with OP. You are living outside of Canada with an expired PR card. OP is living inside Canada and rarely travel. OP and his spouse meet their RO.
Do you meet your RO? If so, you can apply for PRTD and use that to return to Canada.

I have no idea why you think employer or police will ask for a PR card. There are more common identifications in Canada (SIN card for work and driver's license/provincial ID for day to day ID).
Hello and thanks for your answer.
Regarding similar cases - of course, they are not identical, but similar in the way that I have a valid visitor visa and I can use it to flight to Canada. And if or when I will move to Canada I have two options - 1. to tell border officer about my PR card/status (then in 99% I'll get the order of removal), or 2. do not tell about my PR and exit airport as a visitor, which has a PR card, expired, but still a card. And expired card does not mean expired or canceled PR status. So, I could live in Canada more than 2 years and then try to apply for a PR card renewal. But, what to do if I'd be asked to show my card to some official? That was the main question.
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello and thanks for your answer.
Regarding similar cases - of course, they are not identical, but similar in the way that I have a valid visitor visa and I can use it to flight to Canada. And if or when I will move to Canada I have two options - 1. to tell border officer about my PR card/status (then in 99% I'll get the order of removal), or 2. do not tell about my PR and exit airport as a visitor, which has a PR card, expired, but still a card. And expired card does not mean expired or canceled PR status. So, I could live in Canada more than 2 years and then try to apply for a PR card renewal. But, what to do if I'd be asked to show my card to some official? That was the main question.
Thanks
How can you be a PR and also have a valid visitor visa to enter Canada?
Are you an American? Then you could travel to Canada without a valid PR card.
Or do you have valid visitor visa to US? You could cross the land border with expire PR card from US. That's about the only way I know how a PR can cross the border without a valid PR card or PRTD. Provided if you do not get reported for not meeting your RO, you could live in Canada for 2 years and apply for renewal. If you do get reported, days staying in Canada after that won't count towards your RO. You have option to appeal and provide H&C proof.

The big difference between you and PO is meeting or not meeting RO. (and current in Canada vs currently outside)

odonacer

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
How can you be a PR and also have a valid visitor visa to enter Canada?
Are you an American? Then you could travel to Canada without a valid PR card.
Or do you have valid visitor visa to US? You could cross the land border with expire PR card from US. That's about the only way I know how a PR can cross the border without a valid PR card or PRTD. Provided if you do not get reported for not meeting your RO, you could live in Canada for 2 years and apply for renewal. If you do get reported, days staying in Canada after that won't count towards your RO. You have option to appeal and provide H&C proof.

The big difference between you and PO is meeting or not meeting RO. (and current in Canada vs currently outside)
Most likely IRCC issued Visitor visa for me by mistake, because under this CUAET program almost all applicants got their visas very quickly. Country at war, you know.
After a few months I got email from CIC with recommendation to renounce my PR status.

Again, regarding similarities - if I'll move to Canada now and will live there for 3+ years I will met my RO.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Most likely IRCC issued Visitor visa for me by mistake, because under this CUAET program almost all applicants got their visas very quickly. Country at war, you know.
After a few months I got email from CIC with recommendation to renounce my PR status.

Again, regarding similarities - if I'll move to Canada now and will live there for 3+ years I will met my RO.
I am not familiar with the CUAET program and don't know if you can travel to Canada without renouncing your PR status.
If you can move to Canada without renouncing or being reported, sure you could try to renew after 2 years.

Reactions: odonacer

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
The expired PR card is an absolutely zero problem. Breathe deeply and move on.
Hi again,
I just found out that my passport was expired as well. 1 year expired
As i read the application form for citizenship you need to put explanation if there is any gaps. Will this gap cause a red flag? Even i have never traveled for so many years last travel was 2017.
Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi again,
I just found out that my passport was expired as well. 1 year expired
As i read the application form for citizenship you need to put explanation if there is any gaps. Will this gap cause a red flag? Even i have never traveled for so many years last travel was 2017.
Thanks
Just short letter of explanation.

Reactions: YVR123 and Pitaklan

Pitaklan

Mar 21, 2024
Toronto
Just short letter of explanation.
Hi again
Just another follow up my passport was expired will this affect in anyway my pr status? And as i asked earlier for citizenship will it raises a red flag because of the gap? Or the process might just be delayed or prolong for processing?