+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

PGWWPP

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi,

I was able to link my application today.

application received :Oct 24
Linked: Jan 29
awaiting the final decision.

Hope others receive good news soon as well.

FLINT90

Apr 23, 2018
Hi,

I was able to link my application today.

application received :Oct 24
Linked: Jan 29
awaiting the final decision.

Hope others receive good news soon as well.
Did you receive any email from them before you linked? I'm worried because they received my application October 23 and I didnt receive any acknowledgment email. I have not been able to link my application as well

PGWWPP

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Did you receive any email from them before you linked? I'm worried because they received my application October 23 and I didnt receive any acknowledgment email. I have not been able to link my application as well
Hello,

No I didn't receive an email. I was checking the website everyday and finally on the 29th it found my application with my UCI and family name, and passport number.

I hope you will be able to link it one of these days.

FLINT90

Apr 23, 2018
Hello,

No I didn't receive an email. I was checking the website everyday and finally on the 29th it found my application with my UCI and family name, and passport number.

I hope you will be able to link it one of these days.
I tried it yesterday and I was able to link my application. They are still processing it. Thanks for your feedback

Reactions: PGWWPP

PGWWPP

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hello all,

I finally received the approval yesterday, and it was a very good news for me after the long wait time and as there was a problem with my mail to CIC which I was worried they might have not received my documents. The tracking of my mail had been frozen in out for delivery and never updated. Canada post wasn't able to verify CIC has received the documents. Anyway, now I'm relieved. I hope you all receive the good news.

Application received: Oct 24
linked: Jan 29
approved: Feb 15.

By the way this was a lesson learned to use Fedex next time.

Ghuman7

Mar 4, 2019
Hi all,

Applied PGWP extention online. Doing it the same way as first time and added an explanation regarding my passport expiry. Took 3 months to process the application and received the approval today. Thanks all for the info.

NoorNoha

Star Member
May 17, 2018
Hi all,

Applied PGWP extention online. Doing it the same way as first time and added an explanation regarding my passport expiry. Took 3 months to process the application and received the approval today. Thanks all for the info.

Hi Ghuman, Congratulation:)

Can you please share with us what did write for letter of explanation ?

Thank you in advance

myquestions

May 10, 2019

vuk1408

May 22, 2019
Hi guys, I ran into the same problem as you, my passport expires in July 2019 together with my PGWP (received PGWP only for 1 year and 6 months due to passport expiration after completing 4 year PhD program in Canada).

I am aware that there is possibility to apply for PGWP renewal through paper-based process (due to passport expiration date) but is this online method for extension that some guys are referring legit or not?

In the online application in that automatic eligibility questionnaire on CIC website the only path for applying for the PGWP is to put current status in Canada as a Student. In IMM5710 I will put worker and write letter of explanation.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

sasghar1992

Aug 7, 2018
Hello guys,

I had a question similar to all of yours for my sister. She graduated last year in Sept 2018; got a post grad work permit till Feb 2020 because that is when the passport is expiring. The program was a 2 year diploma with co-op; assuming this should have got at least 2 years or three years work permit. Anyways, we are getting her passport extended by the end of August this year. She will also be travelling and out of country between Jan 17th and March 8th 2020. This means I need to get her post grad permit extended sooner because if it takes 4 months, I can only apply for TRV after that.

Based on this situation, as soon as we have the new passport, do you think going to the border will work or recommended so early before the current post grad work permit expires? If this is not a good option, should I simply apply online like the original application for the post grad work permit with an explanation letter?

This is rather pressing. Appreciate you guys helping as always!

Cheers!

carmenVP

Jul 31, 2019
Hi!
I had the same problem and I have another problem.
I am trying to apply to extend my PGWP. I filled the form imm5710 but it was an error saying "Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form"
Does anyone know what that means?
Do I have to say I am a worker and the lenght of my permit ?

Thank you

carmenVP

Jul 31, 2019
Hi there,
Check with your embassy/the high commission of your home country in Canada so yoy can get the passport renewed.
Your embassy will ususally charge a fee but they should be ableto process this within 2 weeks or less

If you have completed this step, check the cic website: to extend work permit
yes you will be required to pay a fee: $155
but if you want it to be open and not limited to the same employer, pay $100 extra.

Now here's the tricky bit:
Do the Questionnaire on the cic page ad try to submit your application online( this is faster)
if you get through successfully, please let us know what steps you took.
If not, apply via the paper route to the office in Vegreville, Alberta:
pls see relevant info below

To all people, who are in same situation. Following is the process explained that helped me get my PGWP for remaining 2 Years.

1. Write a Request Letter (Very Important)-
I used this template when applying for extension.

2. Make sure, you pay the PGWP application fee as well as $100 additional fees before you send your application.

3. You have to send your documents to "Unit 555" not Unit 202.

4. Overall Processing time for my entire application was 4 months.

5. Application Kit:

a. Document Checklist: Required

1. Tick following options under ALL APPLICANTS: IMM5710, IMM5556.
2. Tick following options under WORK PERMIT: Passport, Current Immigration Document.

b. IMM5710: Required

Answers for some important questions:

1. I am applying for one or more of the following:
* An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
2. Under "Details of Intended Work in Canada" Section,
Select What type of work permit are you applying for: Post Graduation Work Permit
Leave all other sections blank.
3. Under "Employment" section,
Mention your current work experience in first box. It's enough.
4. Under "Background Information",
Select "Yes" for "Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?".
Add following line in box "*d)".
APPLIED FOR POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ON "Old PGWP Date". PERMIT ISSUED WITH VALIDITY UPTO "PGWP Expiry Date".

c. Attach photocopy of first page, last page of your Passport, PGWP and Official Receipt.

6. Use the fastest possible delivery service, I used Canada Post from Toronto. They charged me $55 and took 3 days to deliver the package to Vegreville.

Pls let us know how your processing goes if you have any loopholes in the process.
Thanks

What did you answer in question 7. Status?

carmenVP

Jul 31, 2019
For some reason, I am not able to apply online. I keep getting this error message "Your status expiry date in the answer you provided previously does not correspond to the Restoration in your form. Modify your answers or the value in your form". I have looked at all of my dates and they look right and corresponds.

Is anyone experiencing related issues? Thanks for your responses.

How did you solved this?
I have the same problem

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
After doing thorough online research and speaking to CIC agent, I submitted an online application for PGWP Extension due to passport expiry. I submitted my application on July 6, 2016 and received a positive response on July 21, 2016 receiving the pending 2 years + of the 3 years.

So all you need to do to apply is:
Fill out the questionnaire in the same manner as you would have done it for the initial PGWP application.
Add a letter of explanation with your current work permit, old passport and other educational documents.
Also attach your new passport and fill up the IMM form in the similar fashion.
Only in the section "Have you previously applied to remain in Canada", you need to write an explanation mentioning Work Permit was issued till passport expiry, have renewed my passport for further extensions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi I am worried about my work permit extension. I have less than four months period to apply for work permit extension. Is there any way where I can get my Work permit earlier than 4 months. Can I apply Online ? If yes how, please help me.
I tried to fill it online but I think I did some kind of mistake while filling the questionnaire there was a question that what is your current status in CANADA and I chose "Worker" so i think here I have to choose student? Please help me :(