+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* PGWP EXTENSION UPON PASSPORT RENEWAL (AS PER NOTE)

myquestions

May 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

Last week, I got approval for open work permit extension. Below is some information, hope it helps.

I applied via mail as directed by a CIC agent. My application took ~112 days to process. I got an email from CIC after 112 days, nothing before that. I tried to link my application before but it didn't work since I didn't have application number.

It's best to send only those documents that are mentioned in the checklist, do not send additional documents, may confuse the officer.

Below is the list of documents I sent:
1. Letter (formal below)
2. imm5710 with barcode- Application to change conditions, extent my stay or remain in Canada as a worker.
NOTE: for question 3 in this for, open permit applicants need to check - apply for a work permit with the same employer. (you will still get an open work permit, so nothing to worry!)
3. Old Passport - all pages scanned (including all visas)
4. New Passort
5. Fee receipt ($255)

Letter Format:

To,

Case Processing Centre in Edmonton

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada

c/o Work permits/Same employer, Station 202

9700 Jasper Avenue NW, Suite 55

Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

xxxx xx, 2019

Subject: Extension of Post Graduate Work Permit

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is xxxx xxx xxxx and I am currently on Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) xxxxxxx (work permit number), which expires on xxxxxx xxx, 2019. I am xxxx national and my passport number is xxxxxx.

I completed two years post secondary diploma in xxxxx from xxxxx College in (month and year). My study permit ID was “xxxxxx”. At the time when I applied for Post Graduate Work Permit, in (month and year), my passport only had xxx months left to expiry date. I was granted PGWP for xxxx months ending on xxxxxx, 2019.

My xxxx (your nationality) passport has been reissued for xxxx years, new passport number is xxxx and it expires in xxxxxx (month date and year).

I request you to consider my application for extension of my Post Graduation Work Permit for the remaining period taking into account duration of my two years post graduation diploma program.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

ABC DEF

I sent the documents by FedEx and they deliver within a day or 2.

Send the documents to:

CASE PROCESSING CENTRE IN EDMONTON

IMMIGRATION REFUGEES AND CITIZENSHIP CANADA

C/O WORK PERMITS/SAME EMPLOYER, STATION 202

9700 JASPER AVENUE NW, SUITE 55

EDMONTON, AB T5J 4C3

NOTE: It's Station 202 (make sure this is well noted on your package).

Let me know if you have any questions,

Reactions: Jdunchik

myquestions

May 10, 2019
I applied via paper on May 16 and got the application approved. Mine was open work permit. Keep checking your email. I didn't hear from the government for 4 months and one fine day I got their email.

myquestions

May 10, 2019
Anyone? do they return back my application or consider it and also in the paper-based application do I get an application number on my email?
I suggest wait for them to get back to you. As far as the documents are right, checklist shouldn't be an issue. If you send them another mail, it'll be in the queue and won't be checked until they arrive at that date. The best bet would be to call IRCC and see what they have to say.

myquestions

May 10, 2019
Hi I want to apply my Post graduation work permit extension online but when I check the document list it does not have the option to submit the Explanation letter. So how can I submit that. Please help.
I was told my CIC agent that for open work permit extension, I got to do a paper application

dabdulha

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone... I have some questions regarding the paper application for extending my PGWP due to passport expiry.

- what should I mention in the current status in Canada? Student or worker?
-Current employment. If i'm not currently employed, should i leave it blank and would this affect issuing my PGWP?

Thanks

dabdulha

Oct 21, 2019
Does your post graduate work permit says that you can extend the remaining time of your eligibility

"
If your passport expires before your PGWP should
Make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time you should be eligible for. If your passport expires earlier:

• we’ll only issue you a PGWP that’s valid until your passport expires
  • we’ll tell you if you need to extend it to get the full validity
You can only extend a PGWP if we tell you to. If this happens, you have to apply on paper to extend your PGWP so that it’ll be valid for the full length it should be."

Bajinggirl

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2014
File Transfer...
16-12-2014
Med's Request
17-12-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2014
Interview........
NBI Clearance Requested 17-02-2015
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-04-2015
Me too but they sound hesitant. Although on the IRCC website it strictly mentioned that extending the PGWP should be by paper
Hi guys,

FYI

I applied online for extension of my PGWP on July 10. I requested for its withdrawal (reason was that I am afraid it will be refused because I applied online instead of paper) on August 13. I submitted application for a new work permit (closed work permit) using my SINP nomination on August 19. But then today (October 30), I got my online PGWP extension application approved. Validity completed a 3-year work permit granted to me overall.

First, they can approve ONLINE pgwp extension application. But yes maybe, it depends on whoever handles your case.
Second, they may not honor a request for withdrawal of an application. It was with a heavy heart that I requested for its withdrawal anyway.
I cannot complain with the result. I am gladdened by it.

VipulKapadia

Nov 20, 2016
My PGWP extension was fairly quicker than I expected. i made a paper application

Applied Sept 09
Shipped via Canada Post. received confirmation of delivery on Sept, 12.
Based on the timelines shared by another members, i was hoping to get some update in November. However, i directly received approval on November 15.

sasghar1992

Aug 7, 2018
Hello All,

Just wanted to share my experience. Applied for my sister's PGWP extension. File received via Canada Post on August 28th to CIC. No update since. Got an approval email with a permit number and updated validity on November 16th 2019. Permit to be mailed to us within 6 weeks it said.

Happy to help anyone else.

Good luck!

Piyush5767

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
I have received my work permit approval letter on November 16th, I have applied via paper process but it will take less than 3 months to get an approved letter from them.

Timeframe
Applied(Document received by IRCC): September 3rd
Approval Email Received: November 16th

torres1992

Aug 12, 2019
I got it approved
Sharing my timeline
Applied 13 May
Linked : 24 July
Reviewed :10 Sept
Approved : 11 Sept

Hi Navpreet0817,

Congrats on your work permit extension application.

Would you mind share what type of work permit extension you applying for? and where you sent your applicaiton to?

1. Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

OR

2.Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
c/o Work permits/New employer, Station 555
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

torres1992

Aug 12, 2019
My PGWP extension was fairly quicker than I expected. i made a paper application

Applied Sept 09
Shipped via Canada Post. received confirmation of delivery on Sept, 12.
Based on the timelines shared by another members, i was hoping to get some update in November. However, i directly received approval on November 15.

Hi VipulKapadia,

Congrats on your work permit extension application.

Would you mind share where you sent your applicaiton to?

1. Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3

OR

2.Case Processing Centre in Edmonton
c/o Work permits/New employer, Station 555
Edmonton, AB T5J 4C3