+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help needed urgently

Gerryaaa

Nov 6, 2012
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation.

I am an international grad student with a post grad work visa. I did my medical exam back in May and my application is currently being processed in the Ottawa office (does this mean anything?)

My biggest issue now is I jus got laid off n received my ROE (record of employment).

My dilemma is whether I should notify AINP of my employment termination now or wait until I secure another position. I'm scared if I notify AINP now they will cancel my application but if I wait until I secure another job, there will be a period of unemployment between my old and new job which may raise questions. AINP website specifies that changes to status of employment should be notified immediately. I want to b honest but I'm scared my application will be canceled =(

Has anyone encountered this situAtion or similar or heard/read of results of contacting AINP after termination?

Also, due to limited job postings related to my major of study, does anyone know how specific/related the job in your "field of study" should be?

I appreciate any feedback or experience, cannot go through this alone; please help!

Gerry

huh001

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Hey Leon,

I spoke PNP today again and they said i should inform CIC as well rite way. could you please advise would it be a good thing to do ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe you should ask the PNP again if it is really necessary for you to contact CIC about this. See, I do not think CIC will stop processing your application unless the PNP withdraws your nomination so I don't really see what is the point in telling them. Ultimately, the PNP will decide, as far as I know anyway.

huh001

Star Member
Jan 13, 2012
Thanks Leon ! i spoke to PNP again and they said i don't really need to inform them yet.but i sent them a fax explaining everything ..lets see what happens now ...Fingers Crossed !

They said they will comeback to me on this one within a month.

May God help me here

Taariqq

Oct 5, 2012
Hi Leon,

You seem like a knowledgeable person, so I thought I'd ask you a question about SINP student application and pgwp situation.
I will be attending an 8 month program at SIAST, starting fall 2013. That will leave me with an 8 month pgwp. I gain work experience for 6 months and then I start my application for SINP approval. BUT, what if I don't get the nomination within the remaining 2 months of my pgwp? What do I do then? I will have to keep my status legal. What are my options? I've seen the terms 'implied status' and 'LMO' being floated around when people discussing this situation, but have yet to read a definite solution.

I'd greatly appreciate your input in this matter as that would help me decide on whether I want to come to Canada even or just forget about this whole idea of student SINP immigration.

Sincerely,
Taariqq

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taariqq said:
I will be attending an 8 month program at SIAST, starting fall 2013. That will leave me with an 8 month pgwp. I gain work experience for 6 months and then I start my application for SINP approval. BUT, what if I don't get the nomination within the remaining 2 months of my pgwp? What do I do then? I will have to keep my status legal. What are my options? I've seen the terms 'implied status' and 'LMO' being floated around when people discussing this situation, but have yet to read a definite solution.
If your course is advertised as a one year course, one academic year, 2 semesters, you may get a 12 month work permit instead of an 8 month permit.

Also, looking at http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/student they say that all hours worked count towards your 960 hours so you should try to find on-campus employment in your institution as soon as you can because you don't need a permit for that and as soon as you are able to, after 6 months of studies, you should apply for an off campus work permit which will allow you to work up to 20 hrs. a week along with your studies and will allow you to start working full time as soon as you graduate while you wait for your post-grad permit. The sooner you get your 960 hrs., the sooner you can apply.

If you manage to find an employer who wants to keep you and gives you the job offer for SINP, you can ask them to apply for your LMO in order for you to get a regular work permit once your work permit expires. If you get your nomination first, you will not need an LMO to apply for a work permit. However, it is true that even with a 1 year work permit, you don't have a lot of time if something goes wrong. It would be safer for you to take a 2 year course because then you will get a 3 year work permit.

Gerryaaa

Nov 6, 2012
Leon, would u be able to provide some input for me as well? I am still losing sleep over this and would appreciate any advice or sharing of any experience you have

Gerryaaa said:
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation.

I am an international grad student with a post grad work visa. I did my medical exam back in May and my application is currently being processed in the Ottawa office (does this mean anything?)

My biggest issue now is I jus got laid off n received my ROE (record of employment).

My dilemma is whether I should notify AINP of my employment termination now or wait until I secure another position. I'm scared if I notify AINP now they will cancel my application but if I wait until I secure another job, there will be a period of unemployment between my old and new job which may raise questions. AINP website specifies that changes to status of employment should be notified immediately. I want to b honest but I'm scared my application will be canceled =(

Has anyone encountered this situAtion or similar or heard/read of results of contacting AINP after termination?

Also, due to limited job postings related to my major of study, does anyone know how specific/related the job in your "field of study" should be?

I appreciate any feedback or experience, cannot go through this alone; please help!

Gerry

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gerryaaa said:
Leon, would u be able to provide some input for me as well? I am still losing sleep over this and would appreciate any advice or sharing of any experience you have
It is a difficult situation. If you don't tell AINP and they find out, they may hold it against you. If you tell them, they may cancel your application.

As far as I know, your employment does not have to be in your field of study. It needs to be skilled though.

Taariqq

Oct 5, 2012
Leon said:
If you manage to find an employer who wants to keep you and gives you the job offer for SINP, you can ask them to apply for your LMO in order for you to get a regular work permit once your work permit expires. If you get your nomination first, you will not need an LMO to apply for a work permit. However, it is true that even with a 1 year work permit, you don't have a lot of time if something goes wrong. It would be safer for you to take a 2 year course because then you will get a 3 year work permit.
Greayyyt Leon!

The LMO thing does work in my case. Fantastic.
I have a cousin who owns a couple of Mac's convenience stores and he is willing to sponsor me. I think I will ask him to file for LMO way before my pgwp expires.
Going for a 2-year program is not an option because of the cost associated with it. You are correct, it should be a 1-year certificate program and therefore a 1-year pgwp.
Great catch on the SINP website about 'all hours worked' are counted. I had missed that. Even though it would be tough with the studies to try to work, but I think I will give it a try. BTW, do you know if over-time worked can be counted towards the 960 hours or does it have to be 960 straight hours? I can work at the store 7-days a week.
Another question, dosen't LMO require advertising in the newspaper, implying that the employer could not find a citizen to do the job? .... that could make things tough for a convenience store job!

Leon, I can not tell you how much at ease your reply has put my heart and my mind. I have been asking this question for some time, even with the people who come to the forum with exact same situation, but you are the first one that took the time to respond. They just sort of disappear or do not discuss it further, perhaps assuming that everyone knows. Perhaps they all take the LMO route.

I am grateful to say the least. Are you a consultant with the firm?
I notice the ratings line in member profile. Can I rate your reply? How does that work?

Once again, God bless and take care. May God guide us all to the right path.

Gerryaaa

Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for the quick response Leon!

From your knowledge, do you know if federal govt will check for employment status between the medical check stage and the "please send in ur passport stage"? If I can understand the process more I'm hoping it'll put me more at ease.

I'm also in the final stages of the hiring process at another job, if i get the offer and I notify AINP of the change in position there will be an unexplained period of time between my old job n my new job. Any advice here?

Again, thanks Leon, really appreciate your insight

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taariqq said:
Greayyyt Leon!

The LMO thing does work in my case. Fantastic.
I have a cousin who owns a couple of Mac's convenience stores and he is willing to sponsor me. I think I will ask him to file for LMO way before my pgwp expires.
Going for a 2-year program is not an option because of the cost associated with it. You are correct, it should be a 1-year certificate program and therefore a 1-year pgwp.
Great catch on the SINP website about 'all hours worked' are counted. I had missed that. Even though it would be tough with the studies to try to work, but I think I will give it a try. BTW, do you know if over-time worked can be counted towards the 960 hours or does it have to be 960 straight hours? I can work at the store 7-days a week.
Another question, dosen't LMO require advertising in the newspaper, implying that the employer could not find a citizen to do the job? .... that could make things tough for a convenience store job!

Leon, I can not tell you how much at ease your reply has put my heart and my mind. I have been asking this question for some time, even with the people who come to the forum with exact same situation, but you are the first one that took the time to respond. They just sort of disappear or do not discuss it further, perhaps assuming that everyone knows. Perhaps they all take the LMO route.

I am grateful to say the least. Are you a consultant with the firm?
I notice the ratings line in member profile. Can I rate your reply? How does that work?

Once again, God bless and take care. May God guide us all to the right path.
So you have a cousin who is an employer and lives in SK. Why does he not just sponsor you under family stream right away? Have you looked into that?

You can find the advertising requirements for an LMO here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/lmodir/lmodir-14.shtml

The SINP website here: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/student says "worked for at least 6 months" so you can not do 960 hrs. in 4 months and apply then. However, if you get your off campus permit a month before you graduate, you could start working then, even if it is only a few hrs. a week so after you graduate, you have another 5 months to complete the 960 hrs. and then you will really have worked for 6 months and will have 960 hrs. Also note on that website that if your job is a C or D skill, you will need an IELTS to prove that your English is good enough.

I am not a consultant. As far as I know, no posters are paid to be here. I believe you can rate posters after you have reached a certain number of posts yourself. Then you will see links for "good" and "poor" appear underneath where it says ratings.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gerryaaa said:
Thanks for the quick response Leon!

From your knowledge, do you know if federal govt will check for employment status between the medical check stage and the "please send in ur passport stage"? If I can understand the process more I'm hoping it'll put me more at ease.

I'm also in the final stages of the hiring process at another job, if i get the offer and I notify AINP of the change in position there will be an unexplained period of time between my old job n my new job. Any advice here?

Again, thanks Leon, really appreciate your insight
I do not know if they check again. I think if you tell AINP about your new job, you can just say that you have been very busy looking for a new job and it didn't even enter your mind that you were supposed to notify them earlier.

Taariqq

Oct 5, 2012
Leon said:
So you have a cousin who is an employer and lives in SK. Why does he not just sponsor you under family stream right away? Have you looked into that?

You can find the advertising requirements for an LMO here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/lmodir/lmodir-14.shtml

The SINP website here: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/student says "worked for at least 6 months" so you can not do 960 hrs. in 4 months and apply then. However, if you get your off campus permit a month before you graduate, you could start working then, even if it is only a few hrs. a week so after you graduate, you have another 5 months to complete the 960 hrs. and then you will really have worked for 6 months and will have 960 hrs. Also note on that website that if your job is a C or D skill, you will need an IELTS to prove that your English is good enough.

I am not a consultant. As far as I know, no posters are paid to be here. I believe you can rate posters after you have reached a certain number of posts yourself. Then you will see links for "good" and "poor" appear underneath where it says ratings.
Leon,

Re: Family stream. If I remember correctly, after the rule changes on May 1st 2012, it has become difficult to sponsor family members. They need to have a job offer from a sask employer, and that too, in their field. I worked for 6 years as a microbiologist, until 2000, and haven't been in the lab since. (I am 45) So it would be difficult to get a job offer, if not impossible.

You are correct on your advice. I think I will at least apply for the off-campus wp after six months of study and knock off a month from the six-month requirement. I just might also take your advice on on-campus jobs ... that would help tremendously. Imagine if I could knock off 3 1/2 months before I even graduated! Too bad I won't be able to work at my cousin's store. Stores are in Saskatoon and I will be at SIAST Regina.

btw, I just read up on it. Nova Scotia has a similar program and requires only 3 months of job total! Only thing is they say 'preferably' the job will be in your field of study.
Are there any other provinces with programs that allow you to file for PR after only 1-year of study?

Gracias as usual.

Taariqq

Oct 5, 2012
Leon said:
Thanks for the link. Also, IELTS should be a breeze. I have graduated from an American university .... University of Massachusetts at Boston. I spent 16 years in and around Boston, before being deported on Oct 4, 2005, for having over-stayed my H1-B visa, ... but that's another story :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Taariqq said:
Re: Family stream. If I remember correctly, after the rule changes on May 1st 2012, it has become difficult to sponsor family members. They need to have a job offer from a sask employer, and that too, in their field. I worked for 6 years as a microbiologist, until 2000, and haven't been in the lab since. (I am 45) So it would be difficult to get a job offer, if not impossible.

Are there any other provinces with programs that allow you to file for PR after only 1-year of study?
It actually says that your job offer must be skilled and you must have at least 1 year experience in the past 10 in this "intended occupation" of yours. A job offer from your cousin would therefore not work for family stream unless he can offer you a position as a shift manager and you have some such experience in the past 10 years, see http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/family-referral

I do not know each and every PNP. You have to look at them all separately to find out. As far as I know, there is no website comparing them. After all, they want you to pick the province first where you want to settle, not pick the best PNP to get your PR and then live where you want to. One problem with applying in NS and having a cousin in SK is that NS may be suspicious that you have stronger ties to SK and therefore will not stay. Besides, to get your job after your program will also be harder in NS because unemployment there is higher.

Taariqq said:
Thanks for the link. Also, IELTS should be a breeze. I have graduated from an American university .... University of Massachusetts at Boston. I spent 16 years in and around Boston, before being deported on Oct 4, 2005, for having over-stayed my H1-B visa, ... but that's another story :)
Overstay history in the US and deportation could make it very difficult for you to get a study permit in Canada. If this turns out to be a problem, you could try to see if you can get sponsored for PR directly before you even enter Canada. This may be possible with a skilled job offer and employee sponsorship. That is, instead of your cousin sponsoring you under family stream, he sponsors you as a worker in his store. However, the experience as a store manager may become a problem there. Another method you could try, if you do not qualify for PNP, look at the skilled worker program with an AEO. I believe that they are not quite as strict about having work experience in your AEO job offer.