+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

rougem

May 22, 2018
My husband got his police check renewal in one week in Havana. In his hometown it was 6-8 weeks to wait. You need to have the contract, the receipt and the police check. Minrex stamp is indeed necessary..
Thanks Snluvr, really appreciate youre response!

Has anyone sent the photocopies without the MINREX stamp? I understand why a marriage cert, police check, and birth cert would be legalized with MINREX but true certified copies are usually done with a notary or lawyer in Canada.

I am awaiting more responses (no offence to Snluvr, really thank you for letting me know how you proceeded) I really want to hear from more people. THANK YOU!

Reactions: Victor Manuel
May 3, 2018
Hi,

I am finalizing my application (should sent it out at the end of next week).

I do have a color photocopy of my husband's carné, but I can't seem to find the form where it says it needs to be included???

Personally, I just have a regular photocopy of the passport and carné, I guess I didn't realize the real meaning of true certified copies.

rougem

May 22, 2018
Hi,

I am finalizing my application (should sent it out at the end of next week).

I do have a color photocopy of my husband's carné, but I can't seem to find the form where it says it needs to be included???

Personally, I just have a regular photocopy of the passport and carné, I guess I didn't realize the real meaning of true certified copies.
Hey yea, it seems like they HAVE to have an affidavit attached (not sure about the MINREX still, because what if by chance got true certified copies here in canada by a notary...)

But the from that says to include them are on the checklist... I believe page 4 the first section under supporting documents for the persons sponsored... I think its called identity documents.

I read some where on this forum as well that the passport and documents are not considered "documents", and that phtocopies are fine... Please help someone. Thank you!

rougem

May 22, 2018
Hey yea, it seems like they HAVE to have an affidavit attached (not sure about the MINREX still, because what if by chance got true certified copies here in canada by a notary...)

But the from that says to include them are on the checklist... I believe page 4 the first section under supporting documents for the persons sponsored... I think its called identity documents.

I read some where on this forum as well that the passport and documents are not considered "documents", and that phtocopies are fine... Please help someone. Thank you!

Passport and carne are not considered documents* sounds werid but i think im going to send just a photocopy with an affidavit from cuba y sellos, then get this translated... Unless more people can tell me otherwise. Thanks!

May 3, 2018
Hi,

You mean page 6 of IMM5533?
It says you need copies of national identity cards if it is listed in the country specific requirements, and for Cuba there are no requirements except for providing original documents.

As for the passport, my notary, located in Montreal and specialized in Cuba immigration, told me that the passport was not considered a document, so you don't need to provide the original.

The affidavit is produced by the certified translator here.

My notary said I need to have translated my husband's birth certificate, his police certificate and our marriage certificate. Nothing more. We were both never married and have no children.

May 3, 2018
From my understanding, the certified copy has to be produced while you are in the possession of both the original and the photocopy, so maybe that's more easily done in Cuba? Here is what it involves : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#certified_photocopy

And the affidavit is produced by the certified translator (in Canada).

Anyway, I am seeing my notary on Monday and I will ask him what he thinks about the passport photocopy that is not certified. Remind me if I forget to tell you what he said. =)

rougem

May 22, 2018
From my understanding, the certified copy has to be produced while you are in the possession of both the original and the photocopy, so maybe that's more easily done in Cuba? Here is what it involves : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#certified_photocopy

Anyway, I am seeing my notary on Monday and I will ask him what he thinks about the passport photocopy that is not certified. Remind me if I forget to tell you what he said. =)

Actually on my form it is page 4 of 6, said instructs to provide atleast 3 of the 4 (birth cert, passport, id, and/or family booklet).... Quebec may be differemt from Ontario (Im in Toronto).

But anyways, everything you said my friend makes perfect sense! Expect the affidavit part actually

1. Even providing/letting go of originals like major IDs (i.e. passports and carne) for an extended period of time (even if safe to send) is unheard of, FOR sure copies are gucci... Unless im wrong to say that

2. Regarding the affidavit, yes, there will be an affidavit for the affidavit created in Cuba, where they have originals and copies to make a certified copy... But, a affidavit from our translators is just an affidavit of accuracy of translation (honestly, i think that can fly too)

Im very interested to hear what youre notary says. Please do keep me posted, will shot you a message if necessary. SUPER THANKS =D!!! I hope the process has not been so pain staking.

rougem

May 22, 2018

My big question is if certified means with MINREX... If you could ask this on your visit that would be awesome as well. Will let you knkw if i hear anything as well regarding this topic.

Oscarita

Apr 8, 2018
Visa received yesterday, airflight booked!!!! Many many best wishes to all going through process, keep up the supportive spirits! It all comes to an end eventually and you all get to be reunited!

Reactions: Esar

Oscarita

Apr 8, 2018

sworn affidavit is sufficient

Snluvr

Apr 12, 2018
Visa received yesterday, airflight booked!!!! Many many best wishes to all going through process, keep up the supportive spirits! It all comes to an end eventually and you all get to be reunited!
Congratulations to you guys Oscarita!! I just booked my husband’s flight too. So exciting. The process is stressful at times but ours took 11 months so within the target timeframe. Stay positive everyone and soon you will be united.

Reactions: Oscarita
May 3, 2018
Actually on my form it is page 4 of 6, said instructs to provide atleast 3 of the 4 (birth cert, passport, id, and/or family booklet).... Quebec may be differemt from Ontario (Im in Toronto).

But anyways, everything you said my friend makes perfect sense! Expect the affidavit part actually

1. Even providing/letting go of originals like major IDs (i.e. passports and carne) for an extended period of time (even if safe to send) is unheard of, FOR sure copies are gucci... Unless im wrong to say that

2. Regarding the affidavit, yes, there will be an affidavit for the affidavit created in Cuba, where they have originals and copies to make a certified copy... But, a affidavit from our translators is just an affidavit of accuracy of translation (honestly, i think that can fly too)

Im very interested to hear what youre notary says. Please do keep me posted, will shot you a message if necessary. SUPER THANKS =D!!! I hope the process has not been so pain staking.
Hi Rougem,
Would you mind telling me on what form they ask for the carné? I just want to make sure I didn't skip anything. The process has not been that painstaking so far, just many hours and many hard to understand forms/guides, hahaha.

rougem

May 22, 2018
Hi Rougem,
Would you mind telling me on what form they ask for the carné? I just want to make sure I didn't skip anything. The process has not been that painstaking so far, just many hours and many hard to understand forms/guides, hahaha.
Dont mind at all! Yea i hate scrolling through the thread/forum.

I was trying send you a pic but i couldnt figure it out. Its part B, supporting docs of the sponsored person number 1 identity documents. Its asks for photocopies of the following (sorry not 3 of thr 4, there are 5 options and you only need to send whats applicable) - passport, status in canada, birth cert, copies of national id cards, and/or family booklet.

Ill find the link... Lol i dont know why i didnt think of that

rougem

May 22, 2018
Hi Rougem,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp?_ga=2.40847906.1202385761.1527352489-117680750.1527352489

Fill this in accordinly, to get the checklist that i got, its on page 4 for me... For page 6 i have proof of relation, medical, and small photos