+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Has your sponsor visited you" question

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
Question 24: "Has your sponsor visited you during the period of your relationship"?

I would click "No", since we didn´t "visit" each other. We were living in the same town and saw each other regularly. So clicking" No" is correct, isn´t it?

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
no... saying no *might* imply you hadn't met in person before the wedding or at all...

say yes

where you can specify or describe your relationship, do so...

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i will just add, the goal of the immigration forms is not to answer the questions as literally as possible, it's to provide the right evidence and responses that will ensure the immigration officer who is reviewing it understands, and accepts your relationship as genuine and ongoing.

answer questions accordingly and in a manner that will ensure your application is as strong as your relationship.

hope that helps

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
I am not sure if I agree with you chelley.
In my eyes waikiki is right about saying "no". If two people live at the same place, why would they visit each other? I am sure CIC is smart enough to figure out that 2 people always living at the same spot don't need to visit each other. This question is tailored for people living in different countries in my opinion (eg arranged marriages where one part lives eg in India, the other one in Canada). In those cases it is important to show evidence that the two visited each other for a number of times, to prove that their relationship is genuine.

waikiki - you can just make a small remark in the box below - say that there was no need to visit since you live in the same town/city.
That's what we did.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i don't know... visiting doesn't necessarily mean travel... when you go to someone's house, you go to visit them, regardless of where they live (across the street or across the world)... saying no here could possibly needlessly put you in a pile of applicaitons that need to be screened for further detail rather in the "faster" track pile... they ask these segmenting quesitons for a reason, if they just wanted to know your relationship story, they'd ask that alone...

i'd never answer no to a question that could otherwise be read "have you ever seen each other"

but that's just me...

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
I see your point chelley. I think we just disagree on why Immigration put that specific question there. Whereas I think it applies primarily to couples having long-distance relationships, you think that it is a general question.

I doubt that an application is put on a different stack just because somebody says they didn't visit each other because they lived at the same place/location (ours didn't). There is even no way to prove that you visited each other's house let's say 3 times/week. Visits from one country to the other can be proven though (plane tickets etc).

Anyway, it's just a matter of interpretation/guessing why the question is asked. At the end everybody needs to make their own decisions about how to answer them.

Heckler

Mar 14, 2011
Bristol, Uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-10
Passport Req..
11-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-11
LANDED..........
02-04-11
I answered no but then explained the reason why (in our case it was because my wife had 2 young children to look after making it prohibitively expensive for her to visit, it was more convenient for me to visit her) & the numbers & frequencies at which I'd visited her.
I had trouble with a lot of the questions in that was as they seem to be aimed at all the meetings being OUTSIDE of Canada, were as all my wife & I's meetings had been within Canada.
Answer the question truthfully but then turn it around & provide evidence thats similar to what they ask for but fits your situation more.
It worked for me at least

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks everyone. I thought about each of your opinions and read again the question and explanation. I think I will say "No" and explain that we come from the same town. Also, if I put" Yes", they ask for "number, dates and length of visits and if we stayed at the same location". In my eyes, that implies that the person visiting me "traveled", also, I wouldn´t be able to truthfully answer that, since i don´t have exact numbers and dates of when we saw each other.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
As long as you explain your situation clearly, 'no' should be fine. Just 'no' might raise red flags, but 'no' plus adding the explanation that you live in the same city and saw each other every day or whatever, should be fine.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
waikiki said:
Thanks everyone. I thought about each of your opinions and read again the question and explanation. I think I will say "No" and explain that we come from the same town. Also, if I put" Yes", they ask for "number, dates and length of visits and if we stayed at the same location". In my eyes, that implies that the person visiting me "traveled", also, I wouldn´t be able to truthfully answer that, since i don´t have exact numbers and dates of when we saw each other.
Saying "no" could lead to an unfortunate misunderstanding. I advise you to say "yes", then explain that you live in the same town etc etc. CIC is concerned about marriages of convenience in which the partners don't even meet much, if at all -- they just get married and apply for the visa. So if you say you did not visit, that might lead a hurried VO to red-flag your application. The VOs don't have a lot of time for each application, and so assuming they will take the time to figure out that your special "no" is not a real "no" could backfire.

It is safer to say "yes", then explain. That way the VO knows the truth, and even if he/she could quibble and say you should techncally have answered "no", it won't matter: they will know the truth.

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
May 6, 2011 ( CSE EMAIL )
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2011 ( Received May 28 )
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
waikiki said:
Question 24: "Has your sponsor visited you during the period of your relationship"?

I would click "No", since we didn´t "visit" each other. We were living in the same town and saw each other regularly. So clicking" No" is correct, isn´t it?
Sorry, is this inland or outland?

when are where did you first meet?

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
waikiki said:
outland, 10 years ago.
So..10 years ago your sponsor should have visted to meet you in your home country ? right
or was he a canadian citizen living in your country?

waikiki

Jan 22, 2011
none of us had to travel in order to see each other, we are a "normal" couple who met each other like most people do.

fprince

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
நியூ டெல்லி, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 22, 2010
File Transfer...
Jan 4, 2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 21, 2011
waikiki said:
none of us had to travel in order to see each other, we are a "normal" couple who met each other like most people do.
There are so many people who travel to meet their partner when it is an arranged marriage...and from your comment i guess you term them as "abnormal"?