+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Anybody know how long the interviews take?

My interview is scheduled for 9:30 am in Toronto.
I'm curious if I should check out of the hotel before the interview or after, since I'm assuming bags are not allowed into the consulate?

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
Anybody know how long the interviews take?

I'm curious if I should check out of the hotel before the interview or after, since I'm assuming bags are not allowed into the consulate?
Usually, 30-45mins. But, during Covid, due to less staff it may take 1-1.30 hours max. that's what i heard from one of my friend. in Toronto, there is Chinese store near to embassy where we can phone, personal items etc for minimal charge. nt sure if he still open now. What date is your interview?

greatbuzzaman

Jul 15, 2020
Based on my experience , you need to be physically present in Canada to send the documents since you send them via Canada Post and receive via them. There's no specific date mentioned to send in the docs- Once you pay the fees. they generate the required labels. Also technically you need to be having a PR to get that option. Since you have not activated yours yet -i am not too sure if you become eligible - you can always check with the consulate for more clarity
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes true, I was planning to land first as a PR and apply from there but unfortunately my employer is not allowing to work from out of country. So I might have to try AVR for now and book an appointment for whichever date I am getting and hope I could get an earlier date than that to reschedule.

I'm having appt on Oct 1st.
please do share your experience how the intervew goes.. @sriinn @jups @gmaple07 @dry.00 @greatbuzzaman
Yours will be earlier than mine so I would wait for you to share your experience, good luck!

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Some hotels offer bell service and they can store your luggage even after checkout.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Seems thats why many are getting qualified.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/announcements
Expansion of Interview Waiver Eligibility
17 March, 2021

Secretary Blinken, in consultation with the Department of Homeland Security, has temporarily expanded the ability of consular officers to waive the in-person interview requirement for individuals applying for a nonimmigrant visa in the same classification. Previously, only those applicants whose nonimmigrant visa expired within 24 months were eligible for an interview waiver. The Secretary has temporarily extended the expiration period to 48 months. This policy is in effect until December 31, 2021. This change will allow consular officers to continue processing certain nonimmigrant visa applications while limiting the number of applicants who must appear at a consular section, thereby reducing the risk of COVID-19 transmission to other applicants and consular staff. Travelers are encouraged to review the website of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for detailed information on what services are currently available as well as eligibility information and instructions on applying for a visa without an interview.

KanchKarthik

Sep 8, 2021
@sriinn @jups @gmaple07 @dry.00 @greatbuzzaman and @Takita: My Visa appointment in Toronto for Oct 4, 2021, 7:25am was re-scheduled. I got an email saying that it will be re-scheduled, but the website is still reflecting the old date. This is for new H1B and I have been in Canada from March 2020 for this one. Are you guys still good with your appointments? Trying to gauge if everyone's appointments are re-scheduled or only a few. Not sure what the reason is.

Also if yours is a renewal, you might want to call them. I called them and they screened me for a Visa Interview Waiver to mail in the documents. This is if you are applying for the same visa. I didnt qualify because this is my first H1B.

They are also asking questions that would waive you from the Interview process.
  1. X is a citizen of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, or Syria
  2. X legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents.
  3. The previous visa that X is renewing was issued when Kanchana Karthikeyan was 14 years of age or older.
  4. X is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed.
  5. X is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.
  6. The visa that X is renewing has the word "clearance," "blanket," or "waiver" printed on it.
If any question (other than the first one) above is answered as a "No" you do not qualify.

Last edited:

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks for the answer, everyone.
I got an email last night that my Oct 4 Toronto interview will be rescheduled.
It still shows that i have the Oct 4 appointment, but who knows what the new date will be....

Reactions: KanchKarthik

KanchKarthik

Sep 8, 2021
@dry.00 : Did you see any changes in your portal on the appointment? I found a few comments in other sites, suggesting to wait for the appointment to reschedule. Some of them had their appointments re-scheduled to the same day different time.

Just feeling awesome that I found someone who has an interview the same day at the same Consulate. If you dont mind me asking, is your appt for a new H1B or a different visa type? Regular or Expedited?

https://www.immihelp.com/experiences/post/did-any-receive-an-email-from-canadian-consulate-saying-the-august-visa-appoint-will-be-rescheduled-does-this-mean-it-is-cancelled-or-they-will-reschedule-it-for-me-544593/

Last edited:

KanchKarthik

Sep 8, 2021
@dry.00 : Did you see any changes in your portal on the appointment? I found a few comments in other sites, suggesting to wait for the appointment to reschedule. Some of them had their appointments re-scheduled to the same day different time.

Just feeling awesome that I found someone who has an interview the same day at the same Consulate. If you dont mind me asking, is your appt for a new H1B or a different visa type? Regular or Expedited?

https://www.immihelp.com/experiences/post/did-any-receive-an-email-from-canadian-consulate-saying-the-august-visa-appoint-will-be-rescheduled-does-this-mean-it-is-cancelled-or-they-will-reschedule-it-for-me-544593/
Appointment got cancelled. Rescheduled for May 19, 2022 at Toronto. Will be exploring the expedited request option.

Last edited:

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
@sriinn @jups @gmaple07 @dry.00 @greatbuzzaman and @Takita: My Visa appointment in Toronto for Oct 4, 2021, 7:25am was re-scheduled. I got an email saying that it will be re-scheduled, but the website is still reflecting the old date. This is for new H1B and I have been in Canada from March 2020 for this one. Are you guys still good with your appointments? Trying to gauge if everyone's appointments are re-scheduled or only a few. Not sure what the reason is.

Also if yours is a renewal, you might want to call them. I called them and they screened me for a Visa Interview Waiver to mail in the documents. This is if you are applying for the same visa. I didnt qualify because this is my first H1B.

They are also asking questions that would waive you from the Interview process.
  1. X is a citizen of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, or Syria
  2. X legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents.
  3. The previous visa that X is renewing was issued when Kanchana Karthikeyan was 14 years of age or older.
  4. X is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed.
  5. X is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.
  6. The visa that X is renewing has the word "clearance," "blanket," or "waiver" printed on it.
If any question (other than the first one) above is answered as a "No" you do not qualify.
Mine is not changed or no update. still Sep 21st. in my profile, questions 3, 4,and 5 updated as No even though they are NO. I requested them to update over email and they responded back to me stating that i need to cancel my current appointment to make any changes. I thought of informing during the interview.

KanchKarthik

Sep 8, 2021
Mine is not changed or no update. still Sep 21st. in my profile, questions 3, 4,and 5 updated as No even though they are NO. I requested them to update over email and they responded back to me stating that i need to cancel my current appointment to make any changes. I thought of informing during the interview.
@sriinn : No the person will update it from their side and it will reflect in your profile immediately. If you are re-applying for the same visa, you should be eligible to mail the documents in. You do not need to submit the application again. Call 437-887-1448 for Toronto Consulate Support.

Reactions: sriinn

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018

I got an email a few hours ago saying that it's been rescheduled to Oct 8.
Not bad. I don't have to wait another year