Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
how long drop box takes? i mean from the day we send the pasport to receive them back?
They can only process from the day they received. So from the day it receives will the same as the day you give interview.
Depending on the consulate location, it varies from 1-2 weeks for interview/dropbox, should not be much difference between those 2.

Takita

May 12, 2021
@sriinn @jups @gmaple07 @dry.00 @greatbuzzaman and @Takita: My Visa appointment in Toronto for Oct 4, 2021, 7:25am was re-scheduled. I got an email saying that it will be re-scheduled, but the website is still reflecting the old date. This is for new H1B and I have been in Canada from March 2020 for this one. Are you guys still good with your appointments? Trying to gauge if everyone's appointments are re-scheduled or only a few. Not sure what the reason is.

Also if yours is a renewal, you might want to call them. I called them and they screened me for a Visa Interview Waiver to mail in the documents. This is if you are applying for the same visa. I didnt qualify because this is my first H1B.

They are also asking questions that would waive you from the Interview process.
  1. X is a citizen of Cuba, Iran, Sudan, or Syria
  2. X legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents.
  3. The previous visa that X is renewing was issued when Kanchana Karthikeyan was 14 years of age or older.
  4. X is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed.
  5. X is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.
  6. The visa that X is renewing has the word "clearance," "blanket," or "waiver" printed on it.
If any question (other than the first one) above is answered as a "No" you do not qualify.
@KanchKarthik my answers to ALL 5 above except "1" would be "YES", but still they didn't give dropbox option to me. The reason I was assuming was due to work permit NOT PR status. Is this the number 437-887-1448 to call and update answers to above questions to get dropbox option to send the docs?

No cancellation/reschedule appt for me yet. it's still showing Oct 1st.

Update - After reviewing my applicant details responses to 3,4,5,6 answered as NO need to be updated to YES which caused to not eligible for interview waiver. So called 437-887-1448, but they can't update without cancelling appointment and can't guarantee if the system will make me eligible for dropbox after cancelling appt and making necessary changes. Technically I don't need the appt if I'm eligible for dropbox after changes but didn't want to take chances after waiting sooooo long to get the appt. So they suggested to send email to canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net to update without cancelling appt. Sent email waiting for the response.

Please update if anyone did differently to update responses without cancelling appt.

Last edited:

sriinn

Star Member
May 28, 2020
They can only process from the day they received. So from the day it receives will the same as the day you give interview.
Depending on the consulate location, it varies from 1-2 weeks for interview/dropbox, should not be much difference between those 2.
ok, thank you for the info.

visitvivek

Sep 13, 2021
Now it makes sense, I was wondering why I didn't get this option despite of having previous stamping in Canada. Dropbox option is only for PR/Citizens NOT for work permit holders. Since I'm on work permit that's why it didn't show dropbox option for me at this time.
The question on the Visa Appointment Booking site says - "Does X legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents "
So the folks working on WP are eligible for DropBox. I myself am on WP, still I was able to send the docs to the Toronto Consulate.
You need to have a Canadian residential address, and you should be able to provide that address proof to the Post Office where your Passport will be delivered for pickup. Just having PR won't make a difference. You should be residing in Canada instead of travelling from US to Canada just for visa stamping purpose.

Takita

May 12, 2021
The question on the Visa Appointment Booking site says - "Does X legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents "
So the folks working on WP are eligible for DropBox. I myself am on WP, still I was able to send the docs to the Toronto Consulate.
You need to have a Canadian residential address, and you should be able to provide that address proof to the Post Office where your Passport will be delivered for pickup. Just having PR won't make a difference. You should be residing in Canada instead of travelling from US to Canada just for visa stamping purpose.
I found the issue on my account. Initially when I created my account and booked in appt in Jan for Aug date I was residing in US but it was Cancelled in Jul so I rebooked and I was legally residing on WP in Canada in Jul.

I did change the below field when rebooking from Canada.
TAKITA legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residentsYes

I overlooked at the below applicant details while rebooking which caused dropbox not eligible in my case.

The previous visa that TAKITA is renewing was issued when TAKITA was 14 years of age or older.No YES
TAKITA is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed.No YES
TAKITA is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.No YES
The visa that TAKITA is renewing has the word "clearance," "blanket," or "waiver" printed on it.No YES

These should be YES in my case when rebooking as I was legally residing in Canada.

So reached out to Consulate to update the above details to YES without cancelling current appt.

Then I can see YES to below
Special Programs
Renewal interview waivedNo

Do you know any other way to approach to correct those fields without cancelling appt so I can use dropbox feature which I'm eligible for?

Reactions: jups

jups

Jun 3, 2021
My visa along with family is approved.

Here are somethings that might be helpful for those who are looking for appointments, specially multiple appointments.

I initially had my visa for whole family(3 people) booked at Toronto for May 2022. Filed expedition request while got rejected. I started noticing single appointments being available once a while at various locations. So created one more appointment this time for each family member individually. First got one appointment at Calgary in December, 2021 and 2 appointments in Feb 2022. I kept checking for new dates. During long weekend(labour day) managed to get one appointment on September 13., then on Wednesday managed to get one more appointment for September 13. Then requested expedition for my son quoting both of us have appointments on Sept 13. Thats approved making it possible to attend all 3 appointments on same day.

Visa interview was pretty smooth. Total process took less than 30 mins.

Reactions: harirajmohan

Takita

May 12, 2021
My visa along with family is approved.

Here are somethings that might be helpful for those who are looking for appointments, specially multiple appointments.

I initially had my visa for whole family(3 people) booked at Toronto for May 2022. Filed expedition request while got rejected. I started noticing single appointments being available once a while at various locations. So created one more appointment this time for each family member individually. First got one appointment at Calgary in December, 2021 and 2 appointments in Feb 2022. I kept checking for new dates. During long weekend(labour day) managed to get one appointment on September 13., then on Wednesday managed to get one more appointment for September 13. Then requested expedition for my son quoting both of us have appointments on Sept 13. Thats approved making it possible to attend all 3 appointments on same day.

Visa interview was pretty smooth. Total process took less than 30 mins.
@jups mind sharing what questions were asked or any documents asked to show?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jups

Jun 3, 2021
@jups mind sharing what questions were asked or any documents asked to show?

Thanks!
No documents were requested.

Questions:
1) Is it your first H1?
2) Seems like you are working in US since ling time? Were you on L1?
3) You already have immigration petition by your company?
4) What is your highest qualification
5) How long have you been working for the same company?

My wife:
1) How long have you been married?
2) What is your qualification

No question for my son(minor) as we left him at hotel.

Reactions: Takita

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I'm travelling daily for work to Michigan.
You think it's worth the risk of bureaucratic hold up to get the H-1b stamp?
Then again, I don't know if there will be less risk during non-COVID times....
I'm a Canadian PR, but not a Canadian citizen..
I would say , just send an email to them stating that you would like to use the option of sending the documents . As you have paid fee long back but no option of dropbox then, but now who are registering recently they are getting this "send docuemnts" option and see if they can reset it for you. Is that even doable in your scenario as it might take a week or two. If you are travelling daily then this isnt a good option.

Reactions: Takita

Takita

May 12, 2021
I would say , just send an email to them stating that you would like to use the option of sending the documents . As you have paid fee long back but no option of dropbox then, but now who are registering recently they are getting this "send docuemnts" option and see if they can reset it for you. Is that even doable in your scenario as it might take a week or two. If you are travelling daily then this isnt a good option.
they are not changing/resetting answers without cancelling appt first and can't guarantee dropbox option will show up after cancelling appt and changing answers.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
they are not changing/resetting answers without cancelling appt first and can't guarantee dropbox option will show up after cancelling appt and changing answers.
Then the only way to try is opening up a new account and start from the beginning by paying the fee again. will have to let go off the old application fee.

Takita

May 12, 2021
@sriinn : No the person will update it from their side and it will reflect in your profile immediately. If you are re-applying for the same visa, you should be eligible to mail the documents in. You do not need to submit the application again. Call 437-887-1448 for Toronto Consulate Support.
@KanchKarthik I tried calling 437-887-1448 to update answers in my profile which were wrongly updated before to show up dropbox option, but the response was first appt needs to be cancelled before they change their responses and can't guarantee dropbox option after changing reponses. They suggested to reach out to technical team to update responses without cancelling appt so reached out to canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net, but again received response this afternoon that they can't change without cancelling appt first.

How did you able to change the responses without cancelling appt to get dropbox option?

Does anyone know the timeline receiving passport back on in-person appt vs sending the documents?
Does it take more time in either of the case?

I have upcoming travel on Oct end so trying to calculate the timelines before pull the trigger

Last edited:

Kiara02

Star Member
Jan 14, 2020
Sent an email this morning and just got a response back from Ottawa. They cancelled my appointment and reset my status to 'Send Documents'.