+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

champ1411

Jun 10, 2021
Before we make the payment on ais usvisa website, they give the information on first available appointment. Right now it is showing

Toronto - 29 July, 2022
Ottawa - 11 October,2022

How correct is that, because I see most people saying there are no appointments before 2023. Looks like ais usvisa are showing wrong information?

Reactions: iceman55

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Before we make the payment on ais usvisa website, they give the information on first available appointment. Right now it is showing

Toronto - 29 July, 2022
Ottawa - 11 October,2022

How correct is that, because I see most people saying there are no appointments before 2023. Looks like ais usvisa are showing wrong information?
Its not wrong. So what happens is if there is a slot that opened up because of someone cancelled or re-scheduled to a different date, then the latest one obviously pops up, (that doesn't mean there are whole month of July or August dates available , its only one slot, so dont get confused). A week ago, Toronto showed latest dates as Feb 2023 will full month availability. If you pay the fee and get-in you will know the scenario. Back in Oct 2021 consulates abruptly opened regular appointments for Dec 2021 and they filled up pretty fast but till then, there were no appointments showed till March 2022. It all depends on what time you are looking at.

Reactions: champ1411

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Indian Officer: Had asked every document starting from Old I-129s, Old 1797s and new petitions. University Grad docs, Tax returns, W2's, Client letter(I had no client letter but gave her Vendor letter and all the list what i took as supporting documents related to Client). She seems like working on all Dropbox files and asked one document after another and reviewed everything real quick. Then after Indian officer went backside and spoke to American officer and handed over my complete set of documents to her.
Were you asked to bring these old H1 set of docs and other docs or you yourself took it for safer side?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Were you asked to bring these old H1 set of docs and other docs or you yourself took it for safer side?
I took them for safer side. FYI, mine is a direct Interview appointment, not a dropbox and then called for interview. I had this experience for my previous interview back in India where i was called for a second time interview even after keeping the passport first time. So i was just being extra careful this time, luckily i had them what all they asked for except for i-129s, i showed them LCAs though, they were ok!!

• Wow
Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I took them for safer side. FYI, mine is a direct Interview appointment, not a dropbox and then called for interview. I had this experience for my previous interview back in India where i was called for a second time interview even after keeping the passport first time. So i was just being extra careful this time, luckily i had them what all they asked for except for i-129s, i showed them LCAs though, they were ok!!
i know. its pain. they are sometimes real pain. they wont simply give correct list, instead ask for all documents which most even know the names of H1 docs. Everytime they used to ask me on client letter/sow. During first time renewal in India, i didnt take it and during 2010 recession and they asked me to drop the docs but i never got the visa. So i took all of the docs you had during 2012 but they didnt ask(same docs i took during 2017 and was not asked anything). I thought they will ask those old H1 docs only in India locations since more scrutiny in India but never expected to be asked in Canada too. Seems lot of scrutiny even here which i surprise for me.

Well prepared. Thats why you got the visa approved without any issue even after this much verification.
Finish the residency and end this nightmare soon.
Congrats.

Last edited:
Reactions: swan0206

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
i know. its pain. they are sometimes real pain. they wont simply give correct list, instead ask for all documents which most even know the names of H1 docs. Everytime they used to ask me on client letter/sow. During first time renewal in India, i didnt take it and during 2010 recession and they asked me to drop the docs but i never got the visa. So i took all of the docs you had during 2012 but they didnt ask(same docs i took during 2017 and was not asked anything). I thought they will ask those old H1 docs only in India locations since more scrutiny in India but never expected to be asked in Canada too. Seems lot of scrutiny even here which i surprise for me.
Not sure, if that because i am on EVC model, these scrutinies keep happening. But again its not genric for all contractors i would say. It would have been different if i was an FTE !! You never know how they would look at our application. All this is an experience for me personally, many people also have been in more tough situations as i read through posts or other forums, great that they have came across all these ! Cheers.

Well prepared. Thats why you got the visa approved without any issue even after this much verification.
Finish the residency and end this nightmare soon.
Congrats.
Oh yeah, true that.

epremkishan

Jul 12, 2022
Hello All,

We had our interview(H1B and H4) scheduled on July 28th at Calgary. Sharing my overall experience here:

July 6th 2022(morning) - Original Apt for Nov 1st 2022, Calgary
July 6th 2022 (evening)- Rescheduled for Aug 31st 2022, Vancouver
July 19th 2022 - Rescheduled for July 28th 2022, Calgary

At the day of Interview(Calgary, 28th July 2022):
Interview was scheduled at 8:00AM, reached at 7:30AM(was 3rd in the queue). They did not allow in until 07:45 AM.
At the very first step, they asked for Passports and confirmed the apt.
Next - the lady asked for passport, DS 160 confirmation page, one photo and Canada resident proof (Work permit in my case) and bunched it together.
Next - security check. They asked to switch off the phone and took all electronics items including Apple watch and put in the locker.
Next - at first window, asked for the bunched documents (Passport, Canada work permit, photo) and extended original I797 and took fingerprints.

Next - different window, Interview.
Asked for I797 again.
Questions asked (H1):
What is your Highest degree and from where?
Where will you work (city) ?
What is your designation ?
Who is your Employer?
What exactly will you do (roles and responsibilities)? (took notes and ensured that he is entering it correctly in the system)
Is it your first time in USA?
Ask if I have any query.

Questions to my wife (H4):
Since when are you married?
Do you work?

Then said that your Visa is approved and you will receive your passports back in a week.

DS160 status till Aug 1st - Administrative Processing
DS160 status on Aug 2nd - Visa Issued
Aug 2nd - Got the Canada Post tracking number
Aug 3rd - tracking status update that the passports will be delivered by Aug 5th.

Happy to answer any further questions/clarifications.

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
Hello All,

We had our interview(H1B and H4) scheduled on July 28th at Calgary. Sharing my overall experience here:

July 6th 2022(morning) - Original Apt for Nov 1st 2022, Calgary
July 6th 2022 (evening)- Rescheduled for Aug 31st 2022, Vancouver
July 19th 2022 - Rescheduled for July 28th 2022, Calgary

At the day of Interview(Calgary, 28th July 2022):
Interview was scheduled at 8:00AM, reached at 7:30AM(was 3rd in the queue). They did not allow in until 07:45 AM.
At the very first step, they asked for Passports and confirmed the apt.
Next - the lady asked for passport, DS 160 confirmation page, one photo and Canada resident proof (Work permit in my case) and bunched it together.
Next - security check. They asked to switch off the phone and took all electronics items including Apple watch and put in the locker.
Next - at first window, asked for the bunched documents (Passport, Canada work permit, photo) and extended original I797 and took fingerprints.

Next - different window, Interview.
Asked for I797 again.
Questions asked (H1):
What is your Highest degree and from where?
Where will you work (city) ?
What is your designation ?
Who is your Employer?
What exactly will you do (roles and responsibilities)? (took notes and ensured that he is entering it correctly in the system)
Is it your first time in USA?
Ask if I have any query.

Questions to my wife (H4):
Since when are you married?
Do you work?

Then said that your Visa is approved and you will receive your passports back in a week.

DS160 status till Aug 1st - Administrative Processing
DS160 status on Aug 2nd - Visa Issued
Aug 2nd - Got the Canada Post tracking number
Aug 3rd - tracking status update that the passports will be delivered by Aug 5th.

Happy to answer any further questions/clarifications.
Congratulations!

Curious, did you all not qualify for mail in? I suppose there is an interview waiver for H1B and their derivatives.

Please let me know.

epremkishan

Jul 12, 2022
Congratulations!

Curious, did you all not qualify for mail in? I suppose there is an interview waiver for H1B and their derivatives.

Please let me know.
No, we did not qualify for the dropbox (if that is what you meant by mail in). Only PR and Nationals are eligible for dropbox. We are temp residents here on a work permit.

Reactions: Learner02

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
No, we did not qualify for the dropbox (if that is what you meant by mail in). Only PR and Nationals are eligible for dropbox. We are temp residents here on a work permit.
Thanks for the reply. It means a lot.

Following up, I learnt that for a PR who didn't see the visa interview waiver questionnaire, he/she needs to first cancel the appointment before the questionnaire will pop-up. Did you experience this?

epremkishan

Jul 12, 2022
Thanks for the reply. It means a lot.

Following up, I learnt that for a PR who didn't see the visa interview waiver questionnaire, he/she needs to first cancel the appointment before the questionnaire will pop-up. Did you experience this?
Not sure about this. Better to call customer care, they are pretty helpful.

hmt25

Oct 16, 2021
People on Work Permit are eligible for Drop Box, I am on Work permit and used drop box option. Only thing is that you should be living in Canada currently.