+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
People on Work Permit are eligible for Drop Box, I am on Work permit and used drop box option. Only thing is that you should be living in Canada currently.
Great input @hmt25

Please can you give your opinion on this. My wife and I are Canadian PR and we used to see the visa interview waiver questionnaire back in April. We didn't proceed as my wife needed to renew her expiring passport. Just last month, we got the renewed passport and then updated her DS-160 with the new passport number. Upon trying to edit the application to bring up the visa interview waiver questionnaire, it doesn't show up anymore.

I am bit confused and wondering why the system doesn't give us a chance to determine eligibility. We have had U.S visa in the past which is the core requirement. Even at that, the system should still pop-up those questions.

Please what do you think?

hmt25

Oct 16, 2021
Great input @hmt25

Please can you give your opinion on this. My wife and I are Canadian PR and we used to see the visa interview waiver questionnaire back in April. We didn't proceed as my wife needed to renew her expiring passport. Just last month, we got the renewed passport and then updated her DS-160 with the new passport number. Upon trying to edit the application to bring up the visa interview waiver questionnaire, it doesn't show up anymore.

I am bit confused and wondering why the system doesn't give us a chance to determine eligibility. We have had U.S visa in the past which is the core requirement. Even at that, the system should still pop-up those questions.

I am not sure if that is an option in DS-160. Once you log in to AIS (after completing DS-160), it will ask you bunch of questions like do you live in Canada etc and determine if you are eligible for drop box.

epremkishan

Jul 12, 2022
People on Work Permit are eligible for Drop Box, I am on Work permit and used drop box option. Only thing is that you should be living in Canada currently.
Please be careful when you say this statement. Dropbox eligibility mainly depends on a question " Are you a permanent resident or national of the country from where you are applying?"
People on work permit have said "yes" to this question and got the dropbox option. This does not mean you are eligible, you have provided misinformation and that's the reason you got dropbox.

hmt25

Oct 16, 2021
Please be careful when you say this statement. Dropbox eligibility mainly depends on a question " Are you a permanent resident or national of the country from where you are applying?"
People on work permit have said "yes" to this question and got the dropbox option. This does not mean you are eligible, you have provided misinformation and that's the reason you got dropbox.
I didn't mean to mislead anyone. Anyone who has checked that box has to submit supporting documents like PR/Work permit to show residency in Canada. I personally didn't, but there are others who in fact called Customer service to confirm. If in doubt, one can always confirm with Customer service.

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
I am not sure if that is an option in DS-160. Once you log in to AIS (after completing DS-160), it will ask you bunch of questions like do you live in Canada etc and determine if you are eligible for drop box.
Yes, I was referring to the AIS system. It doesn't ask me the questions. Just schedule an appointment. Even when I go to edit, it still doesn't show up.

The customer service advised that I write an email to technical support. When I reached out to them, they provided a solution which didn't also work.

Any suggestions?

epremkishan

Jul 12, 2022
I didn't mean to mislead anyone. Anyone who has checked that box has to submit supporting documents like PR/Work permit to show residency in Canada. I personally didn't, but there are others who in fact called Customer service to confirm. If in doubt, one can always confirm with Customer service.
Did you say "Yes" to these questions ? Read carefully the first statement. It is for PR and citizens only "not for temp residents who are on work permit".

Qualifying statements applicable to citizens or nationals of countries that are NOT part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
Click here for a complete list of VWP countries: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

• Applicant is a national or permanent resident of the country in which the applicant is applying, and
  • Applicant has been previously issued a U.S. visa (any class of visa), and
  • Applicant submitted ten fingerprints when the previous U.S. visa was issued, and
  • Applicant answered 'NO' to all of the Medical and Health, Criminal, Security or Immigration Law Violation questions on the DS-160 visa application form

hmt25

Oct 16, 2021
Did you say "Yes" to these questions ? Read carefully the first statement. It is for PR and citizens only "not for temp residents who are on work permit".

Qualifying statements applicable to citizens or nationals of countries that are NOT part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
Click here for a complete list of VWP countries: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

• Applicant is a national or permanent resident of the country in which the applicant is applying, and
  • Applicant has been previously issued a U.S. visa (any class of visa), and
  • Applicant submitted ten fingerprints when the previous U.S. visa was issued, and
  • Applicant answered 'NO' to all of the Medical and Health, Criminal, Security or Immigration Law Violation questions on the DS-160 visa application form
Again not a lawyer but not everything is updated all the time, sometime we just to have to go by spirit and not letter. If you are interested, check this link:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-renewal-by-mail/

Visa applicants who meet the criteria below may be eligible to apply for their visas by mail, without a visa interview, if:

1. They normally reside in Canada; and
  2. They are physically present in Canada; and
  3. Their visa and passport has not been lost, stolen, or revoked; and
  4. They fit into one of the following categories:
    • Renewals in the Same Category: They already have a U.S. visa that is valid or has expired within the last 48 months and wish to renew their visa of the same classification (e.g. a holder of a recently expired J visa may NOT renew and get a B1/B2 visa) or
    • F, M, or Academic J Visas: They are applying for an F, M, or Academic J visa and have previously been issued any type of visa; or
    • Individual Petition-Based H, O, P, and Q Visas: They are applying for an H-1, H-3, H-4, O, P, or Q visa and have previously been issued any type of visa. Applicants for L visas are not eligible for interview waiver under this category.

hmt25

Oct 16, 2021
Yes, I was referring to the AIS system. It doesn't ask me the questions. Just schedule an appointment. Even when I go to edit, it still doesn't show up.

The customer service advised that I write an email to technical support. When I reached out to them, they provided a solution which didn't also work.

Any suggestions?
Sorry, I don't know, in my case, once I completed the application, it asked me to send the documents by mail. If I remember correctly, there were two question that I normally reside in Canada (Citizen/PR question) and I am not travelling just for stamping. May be, try another browser/computer or try again tomorrow.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Great input @hmt25

They keep updating the criteria very frequently, atleast from past 8 months. So, someone cannot confirm on yesterday's scenario, instead go with the flow. Dropboxes are taking anywhere between 3 - 10weeks(sometimes they call in for interview) . If you can get an appointment thats faster! Decide. And yes if you have an interview slot booked already, to avail the dropbox the customer care used to redirect asking people to cancel so that they should be able to see a dropbox option after adjusting questionnaire as per current situation of individual. This was some 5 months ago as per me. It might have changed as well.

jazz_77

Oct 2, 2019
Hello @phanisrikanth @go4sacchi @mustufasshah

Need your advice, I just receive my status as below (Ottawa Consulate, for H1B & H4), same what you received previously but ais-usvisa website is yet to be updated (still showing 'Send Documents'):

"Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days."

Can you please let me know the below:
1. Did you get update in ais-usvisa website & received email communication too, to attend in-person interview?
2. How long it takes to receive official communication for attending interview after get the above status?
2. Did you book your appointment by yourself or any how you got help from consulate to book appointment faster as that was asked by you?
3. When you get your interview scheduled?
4. Any way to change consulate as Toronto & Ottawa are not having any slot available in near future.
Hi @Nil007 did you get any update. I am in the same boat as you.

Application received -“Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check you status after two business days”.

san.gct

Aug 21, 2022
Hi, I am an Indian national living in the US. I am trying to book an H1B stamping appointment in Canada since my wife is a Canadian citizen. However, there is no dates available. Do you guys know if my wife can file for the H4 visa as a primary applicant and I can get my H1B stamping done at the same time as a secondary applicant. If so, would we get dropbox eligibility? Also, would the odds of getting any appointment date change? Please help. Thank you

spras212

Aug 22, 2022
Hi @Nil007 did you get any update. I am in the same boat as you.

Application received -“Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check you status after two business days”.
Hi @jazz_77 @Nil007 , I'm in the same boat, please let me know what have you done...I'm seeing below status, does this means I need to schedule interview. If so, does consulate helps on appointment or we need to book ourselves

U.S. Department of State
NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
Application Received
Application ID or Case Number:
Case Created:30-Aug-2022
Case Last Updated:30-Aug-2022

Your case is open and ready for your interview, fingerprints, and required documents. If you have already had your interview, please check your status after two business days.
For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Toronto.

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
Hey! were you able to get a date sooner than what you were getting initially? did calling or writing to embassy help? In a similar boat - was called to do an in-person after sending documents for dropbox. Now i don't see dates for next one year. however if i start a new application, i can see dates for next month. Unsure if I should cancel this and fill out a new DS160.

will appreciate your inputs, thanks

bear joules

Sep 26, 2022
Hey! were you able to get a date sooner than what you were getting initially? did calling or writing to embassy help? In a similar boat - was called to do an in-person after sending documents for dropbox. Now i don't see dates for next one year. however if i start a new application, i can see dates for next month. Unsure if I should cancel this and fill out a new DS160.

will appreciate your inputs, thanks
Hi.. i am in the same boat. I am called for an in person interview and next date is Oct 2023. I see people responding that keep checking and new dates open up.. but its very uncertain. do you know if we can request an expedite ?

anu05446

Oct 2, 2022
Hello people, I'm currently in Canada on work permit and have booked 'first time H1b' stamping appointment at Vancouver consulate for April'23. I'm looking to reschedule it to an earlier date and have some questions.
1- Can I reschedule the same appointment to an earlier date at another consulate(Say Toronto) ?
2- Will it be an issue that DS-160 has Vancouver listed but the appointment is at a different consulate (Toronto)?
3- Can more than one DS-160 be submitted thus more than one appointments be scheduled?

Appreciate all your responses.