+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Honestly just keep checking.
Earlier today, on like the 10th try (no kidding) i managed to get Toronto mid april..locked that down but ideally want something sooner (you can reschedule as many times as needed up until 3 days before appointment date).

When i got that slot there was also a Vancouver open for feb 7. also a Calgary for sept. so its just down to luck really.
I just kept refreshing at least once every hour..checking all the posts.

Re the question "are you traveling from another country to apply for a US visa in Canada?" Answer honestly (Even if its tempting to say no as that offers more interview dates). In December, my sister witnessed someone in Ottawa get turned away for answering no and not being able to provide PR card. That'll be considered misrepresentation and can go permanently on your file.
just gave up 23 april toronto for 25 feb ottawa.
so its truly is just chance.
good luck y'all.

asa16

Jan 30, 2020
good luck y'all.
Hi, I went through this entire thread. I just started looking for a slot and understand that I need to just keep going at it. I need one in Toronto before 27th June because that's my expiry date on the temporary PR visa. Trying to accomplish both to-dos in one trip here. My questions are -

- Let's say I see a slot in Ottawa in the coming days, should I just make the payment and grab it? If I don't see any more slots, do I need a new DS-160 with the correct visa location? (My current DS-160 has Toronto as the visa location)
- And what if I see a Toronto slot in a few days, I can still select it? Need to know if I will have to make another payment?

Thank you in advance.

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Hi, I went through this entire thread. I just started looking for a slot and understand that I need to just keep going at it. I need one in Toronto before 27th June because that's my expiry date on the temporary PR visa. Trying to accomplish both to-dos in one trip here. My questions are -

- Let's say I see a slot in Ottawa in the coming days, should I just make the payment and grab it? If I don't see any more slots, do I need a new DS-160 with the correct visa location? (My current DS-160 has Toronto as the visa location)
- And what if I see a Toronto slot in a few days, I can still select it? Need to know if I will have to make another payment?

Thank you in advance.
You have to pay before you can see open dates. Grab an location you are open to and change later if something sooner/more convenient comes

I was open to any dates in ontario or quebec as they're all driving distance to me, ottawa being the closest. Note that my ds160 says ottawa so this is what I would have done.

After initially picking toronto, the plan was to keep checking/re-scheduling...and once I settled on a final date IF it wasnt same location as my ds-160:

1. Plan A- look up Canadian embassy NIV contacts and email new embassy location about the change. make sure to mention DS 160 confirmation number. Read the 4th response on this thread by harigalent https://www.immihelp.com/experience/227180-Plz-HelpDS160-location-Visa-Interview-Location-different.html he emailed Vancouver embasy and they did e-transfer of his file and told him he did not have to do another ds160 application.

Plan B- if i did not get a response email, I would fill out another ds160 with new location. Print out both ds 160s and take to interview. this is what a number of people mentioned they had done successfully on other forums.

2. You do NOT need to re-pay as long as it's same country

(pro-tip I just left the re-schedule page open on another tab while I had other work going... it doesn't log you out if you refreshing every few mins and saves time)

Last edited:

asa16

Jan 30, 2020
You have to pay before you can see open dates. Grab an location you are open to and change later if something sooner/more convenient comes

I was open to any dates in ontario or quebec as they're all driving distance to me, ottawa being the closest. Note that my ds160 says ottawa so this is what I would have done.

After initially picking toronto, the plan was to keep checking/re-scheduling...and once I settled on a final date IF it wasnt same location as my ds-160:

1. Plan A- look up Canadian embassy NIV contacts and email new embassy location about the change. make sure to mention DS 160 confirmation number. Read the 4th response on this thread by harigalent https://www.immihelp.com/experience/227180-Plz-HelpDS160-location-Visa-Interview-Location-different.html he emailed Vancouver embasy and they did e-transfer of his file and told him he did not have to do another ds160 application.

Plan B- if i did not get a response email, I would fill out another ds160 with new location. Print out both ds 160s and take to interview. this is what a number of people mentioned they had done successfully on other forums.

2. You do NOT need to re-pay as long as it's same country

(pro-tip I just left the re-schedule page open on another tab while I had other work going... it doesn't log you out if you refreshing every few mins and saves time)
Thank you for the response. You mentioned that we need to pay upfront in order to be able to see available dates. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I am unable to proceed with payment since no appointments are available at this time. Did they change something in the website - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in?

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Thank you for the response. You mentioned that we need to pay upfront in order to be able to see available dates. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Looks like I am unable to proceed with payment since no appointments are available at this time. Did they change something in the website - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in?
It took me to payment page during setup and then showed dates right after. there were a few open for Vancouver. Maybe that’s why they let me pay at the time without setting a date ‍♀

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Correct. Earlier it was the case but nowadays we can see the glance on first date availability for all consulates get listed.
good luck y'all.
I was thinking that they are blocking dates for residents but it looks like delay is for everyone... cant find any dates for toronto. ottawa shows may month.
As you said i would need to try multiple times to try my luck. thanks for the note.

nilhirve

Feb 5, 2020
Just an update on my experience getting my first H1B stamped in Canada as a new PR.

I kept an eye on cancelations of H1B appointments in the US consulates in Canada. Way too many slots showed up within a two-week timeline from the date I was searching on. Also, for some reason, all of a sudden, the US embassy in Ottawa opened up slots for almost 8-10 days. Though initially, I was worried about not finding an appointment, I eventually found a suitable slot in Ottawa and yes my H1B was approved.
Hey @svcanadapr Was the location selected in your DS160 also Ottawa ? Does it need to be the same location ? I am in a very similar situation as yours where I have a Canadian PR and want to make a trip for H1B. Also, did you select the second option "I am a Non Canadian Citizen residing in Canada who has completed the U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) form and want to apply for a visa." to get earlier appointment dates ? I think option 1 makes sense for me since I dont reside in Canada - "I am a Non Canadian Citizen residing in the U.S. and want to apply for a visa."

asa16

Jan 30, 2020
Hi all,

I am sure everyone is keeping an eye on available slots. We could help each other. I need a slot for Toronto/Ottawa for the month of March/Apr/June (27th June is my PR visa expiry). If anyone comes across such a date and lets me know, I'd really appreciate. I can reciprocate the favor in a similar way. Currently seeing one in Calgary for 13th August 2020, if anyone is interested.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi all,

I am sure everyone is keeping an eye on available slots. We could help each other. I need a slot for Toronto/Ottawa for the month of March/Apr/June (27th June is my PR visa expiry). If anyone comes across such a date and lets me know, I'd really appreciate. I can reciprocate the favor in a similar way. Currently seeing one in Calgary for 13th August 2020, if anyone is interested.
sure... i am surprised to see the appointments not shown for residents too..
I need it for toronto in Mar/Apr/may

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Hi all,

24 feb open ottawa

Ctv92

Jul 11, 2019
Can't believe my luck...my payment couldn't go through because someone beat me to it. But it's alright...no one said its gonna be a cakewalk. Will keep lookin.
i suggest you go ahead and pay for a calgary aug date so this doesn't keep happening.
once you find toronto/ottawa it'll be much quicker to reschedule (without going through payment phases hoping someone else hasn't snagged it)