Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am looking for a date in mid-August, but I am not getting any available slots and new ones are not showing up. I am finding it difficult to get an earlier date. Like you mentioned closer to the date slots sometimes open up due to cancelations, but I don't see any random July slots as well.

Can you please also share your experience for the stamping process. I am going going for my H1B renewal.
a) how long did the stamping process take and in how many days was the passport returned?
b) I have a period of only 3-5 days will it be possible to get the stamping done in that period?
c) Do all cases usually undergo admin processing?

Thanks .
For Canadian residents the waiting time is less. For US residents it might not show more appointment in short duration.
a. 5-10 days minimum for normal cases - in 2017 and in 2018. If the case involves additional documentation requirements then it might increase more.
The time period doesnt change much for new H1 or renewal H1 or new location or same location.
In 2017, it was taking 5 days and for renewal at same location (and for same company), it took 10 days in 2018. So it new/renewal doesnt matter.
b. No. Not possible.
c. Yes, admin processing is norm for all cases. The only difference is that it takes few days of admin processing for normal cases and its more days for specific few cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruni23

bruni23

Jun 30, 2019
For Canadian residents the waiting time is less. For US residents it might not show more appointment in short duration.
a. 5-10 days minimum for normal cases - in 2017 and in 2018. If the case involves additional documentation requirements then it might increase more.
The time period doesnt change much for new H1 or renewal H1 or new location or same location.
In 2017, it was taking 5 days and for renewal at same location (and for same company), it took 10 days in 2018. So it new/renewal doesnt matter.
b. No. Not possible.
c. Yes, admin processing is norm for all cases. The only difference is that it takes few days of admin processing for normal cases and its more days for specific few cases.
Thank you!

bruni23

Jun 30, 2019
What are the criteria for getting an expedited /express date.

I am a doctor doing residency and we have a very specific fixed vacation schedule- nothing can be moved around really. Would I fit it into the criteria?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

svcanadapr

Mar 12, 2019
I am looking for a date in mid-August, but I am not getting any available slots and new ones are not showing up. I am finding it difficult to get an earlier date. Like you mentioned closer to the date slots sometimes open up due to cancelations, but I don't see any random July slots as well.

Can you please also share your experience for the stamping process. I am going going for my H1B renewal.
a) how long did the stamping process take and in how many days was the passport returned?
b) I have a period of only 3-5 days will it be possible to get the stamping done in that period?
c) Do all cases usually undergo admin processing?

Thanks .
For H1B renewal, usually, people go to Mexico. Check this link
I went to Ottawa for my 1st H1B. The passport will be ready for pickup the next day, if you selected Ottawa as your pick up place.
c) Do all cases usually undergo admin processing? - You are way too worried. Relax. Take a deep breath in.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
For H1B renewal, usually, people go to Mexico. Check this link
I went to Ottawa for my 1st H1B. The passport will be ready for pickup the next day, if you selected Ottawa as your pick up place.
c) Do all cases usually undergo admin processing? - You are way too worried. Relax. Take a deep breath in.
Why do you think that people are going to mexico when it comes to renewal? I never heard.
There is no free pass in Mexico for sure.
I understand that the people near south border would go to Mexico for stamping as its closer to their current US residence. But not finding any other reason for a person to head to mexico just because its renewal.

Technically there is no such thing as renewal and consulate adjudicates every application as a new one with respect to eligibility hence it doesnt matter which consulate we go.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Why do you think that people are going to mexico when it comes to renewal? I never heard.
There is no free pass in Mexico for sure.
I understand that the people near south border would go to Mexico for stamping as its closer to their current US residence. But not finding any other reason for a person to head to mexico just because its renewal.

Technically there is no such thing as renewal and consulate adjudicates every application as a new one with respect to eligibility hence it doesnt matter which consulate we go.
Early appointment Availability? Not to mention, consulates are kind of deserted. Around early 2017, it was quick in and out, all formalities within half an hour. Not sure how it is in Canada.

nilsen21

May 31, 2017
Hello- New to this forum. Can anybody tell me as how keep looking for available dates for H1b stamping in canada without filling the DS 160 form? Is there any easy way?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello- New to this forum. Can anybody tell me as how keep looking for available dates for H1b stamping in canada without filling the DS 160 form? Is there any easy way?
No. Its just not filling the form(as far as i know). You need to even pay the fee before you can check the dates.
if you decide on the location, why cant you fill DS160 and pay the fee? Whats the hold up?

kk09

Feb 16, 2018
Just an update on my experience getting my first H1B stamped in Canada as a new PR.

I kept an eye on cancelations of H1B appointments in the US consulates in Canada. Way too many slots showed up within a two-week timeline from the date I was searching on. Also, for some reason, all of a sudden, the US embassy in Ottawa opened up slots for almost 8-10 days. Though initially, I was worried about not finding an appointment, I eventually found a suitable slot in Ottawa and yes my H1B was approved.
My COPR will expire on Sep 21, 2019. So, I have to land in Canada before this date. After, landing I will be PR of Canada. And also I want to go for H1b Stamping during my landing to Canada, there are no dates available till March 2020. But while booking appointment there's a question "Are you traveling from another country to apply for a U.S. visa in Canada?" (Answer "No" if you live in Canada or you are a citizen of Canada; otherwise select "yes"). Can I select "NO", as i will be resident of Canada after landing ?

Reactions: aspirant9

justinline

May 19, 2009
My COPR will expire on Sep 21, 2019. So, I have to land in Canada before this date. After, landing I will be PR of Canada. And also I want to go for H1b Stamping during my landing to Canada, there are no dates available till March 2020. But while booking appointment there's a question "Are you traveling from another country to apply for a U.S. visa in Canada?" (Answer "No" if you live in Canada or you are a citizen of Canada; otherwise select "yes"). Can I select "NO", as i will be resident of Canada after landing ?
You can always be little cheeky about it.......its upto you. I did stamping while back in Calgary and Vancouver. If I remember correctly, in Calgary they dint care about my status in Canada. In Vancouver they specifically asked for my PR card. But then there is always a distinction between having PR status and having resident status.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You can always be little cheeky about it.......its upto you. I did stamping while back in Calgary and Vancouver. If I remember correctly, in Calgary they dint care about my status in Canada. In Vancouver they specifically asked for my PR card. But then there is always a distinction between having PR status and having resident status.
If it is for someone who has already landed and has PR card, is it okay to give 'Yes' for living in Canada and take advantage of early dates? Do they expect people to have resident status as well or just being a PR is sufficient even though they don't reside in Canada? Do they expect any kind of residency proof like lease, utility bills etc if one chooses yes for it?

justinline

May 19, 2009
hmmmm....well if you look at the wordings of the question they are very deliberate.....they really want to draw a line between residents and non residents in terms of allotting time slots. But I dont think they are following through with it.....I never heard asking for proof of residence.......I guess its still honor system.
But then what happens if they start asking for it.....when you turn up for visa interview and they ask for simple proof as drivers license. Like I said earlier in Calgary they dint care for anything......in Vancouver they specifically asked for PR card. In the Vancouver stamping there is line on the foil saying PR of Canada, the Calgary foil does not say anything. So lot depends on the different consulates as well.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
hmmmm....well if you look at the wordings of the question they are very deliberate.....they really want to draw a line between residents and non residents in terms of allotting time slots. But I dont think they are following through with it.....I never heard asking for proof of residence.......I guess its still honor system.
But then what happens if they start asking for it.....when you turn up for visa interview and they ask for simple proof as drivers license. Like I said earlier in Calgary they dint care for anything......in Vancouver they specifically asked for PR card. In the Vancouver stamping there is line on the foil saying PR of Canada, the Calgary foil does not say anything. So lot depends on the different consulates as well.
Thanks.. all this is asked during the process of check in and not by consular during interview right? What's the worst that could happen, interview slot and fee wasted?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thanks.. all this is asked during the process of check in and not by consular during interview right? What's the worst that could happen, interview slot and fee wasted?
I doubt they will refuse the interview.....but if you are travelling are you willing to put all that time, money and effort with uncertainty hanging over it.