+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Stamping Dropbox in Canada

May 2, 2022
Hello Everyone ,

I need to get a visa stamping for my H1B visa ( and H4 for my wife )renewal , following is my situation:

- I am residing in US right now
- I have a Canada PR
- I can travel to Canada for a month for the stamping
- My previous visa renewals were done in India
- I-94 Expired

Do I stand a chance to go to Canada and send my documents for stamping via post ?
- I have approval notice , Canada PR card , passport , photos etc. Do I need anything else ? I have seen some mentioned residency proof , what can it be , I have Health card , bank statements , SIN etc , will they suffice ?

I have certain limitations in visiting India right now so want to explore the visa stamping through Canada.
Appreciate if someone can respond to this and have been in similar situation.

Thanks in advance

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hello All,
I’m in a similar boat. I’m a Canada PR since one year. Have all PR related documents. I work for a US company on H1B and spend time between USA and Canada. Now, I got H1B extension and want to see if I will get Dropbox in Toronto,Canada. Earlier H1B was stamped in India. Appreciate all help.

rohanmalik.85

Jul 3, 2021
Can you please help to know what are the answers you mentioned in your case for below questions .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nbRL9dnx5USWNgPNIQKiIWJkAiQIe67h/view

i am on Closed Work permit and want to know what should i answer for question 1 . here are some of my details.

i am india citizen with approved H1B , previous visa was stamped in india ...expired on 2020 year .
I have the same issue. I am on closed work permit as well and while filling out information the term "country of permanent residence" is so ambiguous as:

1) on the first page it says country of permanent residence can be the country we are legally allowed to work
2) also the below link says country of residance is where you live majority of last 12 months and pay taxes so cannot be India in my back of my mind.
https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/12/country-of-residence/
3) when you go to next page the visa appointment waiver form comes which has two options and also option none of the above applies:
4) in my case i met all 4 conditions of the national of countries (assuming live in Canada) and the 4 things were:

a) applicant is citizen of permanent resident (the definition i amassuming is i live on work permit and pay tax and most of my last 12 months are here) but i dont have PR/ COPR.

b and c) i was issued a visa previously (L1b/ B1) and was ten printed as both visa were issued in 2010 and ten prints were issued in 2008 based on below link

https://allfamousbirthday.com/faqs/how-do-you-know-if-you-were-ten-printed/

d) i wrote NO to all medical/ security blah blah in my DS160.

post this it allowed me to use send document and collect document so not sure if I presumed something that i was not supposed to ?

leoamb

Star Member
Nov 19, 2022
Hello I used to live in Toronto with PR card and currently am living and working in US with L1 visa / status . I plan mail in my H1B visa stamp (cap exempt) to Toronto Consulate. May I know how long whole process will take ? so that I can prepare for airbnb at Toronto while waiting for passport sent back ? or may I send to Vancouver Consulate ? (seems like Vancouver is faster) , please suggest thanks.

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
@missedTheGCBus could you share your timeline for mail-in H1B visa application?
I had posted this earlier in the thread, copying from there :

This was the sequence of updates :

Mailed via Canada post Feb 6th.
Delivered Feb 9th.
Status changed to "received" on Feb 10th.
Approved on Feb 13th.
Issued on Feb 14th.
Delivered to pickup location on Feb 15th.
Picked up on Feb 16th.

rishuaj

Star Member
Oct 19, 2021
I am currently in Canada on work permit (NOT PR), Can I be eligible for drop box in canada? Last h1b- stamping was in India expired 44 months back!

Kindly advise.

rajreddy

Dec 29, 2018
Sharing my horrendous experience thus far and the timeline here and will continue to keep this updated.

Appreciate any updates/notes from folks on similar experience and what did they do (if anything) to move app process forward.

History: Canadian PR holder living in USA. I have had my stamping done in Canada 2 times prior to this a) Vancouver - In Person (2019) and b) Toronto - Dropbox (2021).

Current Dropbox:
Mar 20 - Reached Canada
Mar 21 - Post Docs at 10 AM in Post Office closest to consulate.
Mar 22 - 10 AM received by Consulate.
April 6 - Application moved to "Application Received" in first half of day after no status for 2+ weeks.
Waiting on next steps.

2021 Dropbox:
Oct 10: Reached Canada
Oct 11 - Post Docs at 10 AM in Post Office closest to consulate
Oct 15 - Issued
Oct 18 - Passport collected from Post Office in evening.
Oct 19 - Left Canada.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Sharing my horrendous experience thus far and the timeline here and will continue to keep this updated.

Appreciate any updates/notes from folks on similar experience and what did they do (if anything) to move app process forward.

History: Canadian PR holder living in USA. I have had my stamping done in Canada 2 times prior to this a) Vancouver - In Person (2019) and b) Toronto - Dropbox (2021).

Current Dropbox:
Mar 20 - Reached Canada
Mar 21 - Post Docs at 10 AM in Post Office closest to consulate.
Mar 22 - 10 AM received by Consulate.
April 6 - Application moved to "Application Received" in first half of day after no status for 2+ weeks.
Waiting on next steps.

2021 Dropbox:
Oct 10: Reached Canada
Oct 11 - Post Docs at 10 AM in Post Office closest to consulate
Oct 15 - Issued
Oct 18 - Passport collected from Post Office in evening.
Oct 19 - Left Canada.
Thanks for posting your experience here but i didn't get why did you feel it so horrendous??

nagrawal1984

Feb 21, 2023
Hi Guys,

I have also dropped my passports for H-1B stamping in Canada on 04/11. Here are my updates as on today-

@Ottawa Consulate
04/11/2023 - Mailed via Canada post.
04/12/2023 - Delivered.
04/13/2023 - Status changed to "Application Received".
04/14/2023 - No change since yesterday

I will keep you guys posted. All the best, Everyone.

Last edited: