+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Good news, here's the speed-up

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
My wife sent her application on Feb'4. Here's her status update (status was changed online yesterday or today, I am checking every two days).

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 11, 2013.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on February 11, 2013. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

The status shows: In Process
Processing office:Ottawa

If I recall right my status change from 'Received' to 'In Process' took 8 months. I hope it's not just a reporting change.

Mike

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Likely it's "just a reporting change". They're just creating a GCMS record for everybody and updating ecas these days, so everybody is in process in 2-3 months now. Older cases are being flipped to "in process" as well. For example, in my region it has been taking 12-14 months to get to "in process" before, but recently my case was updated too, at half of that period.

I doubt CIC suddenly has manpower or technology to do actual processing for everybody.

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
EasyRider said:
Likely it's "just a reporting change". They're just creating a GCMS record for everybody and updating ecas these days, so everybody is in process in 2-3 months now. Older cases are being flipped to "in process" as well. For example, in my region it has been taking 12-14 months to get to "in process" before, but recently my case was updated too, at half of that period.

I doubt CIC suddenly has manpower or technology to do actual processing for everybody.
Yes, you are most likely right. Thanks for the explanation.

Mike

T

torontonian999

But looks like they will increase the manpower and resourses starting in April. Budget 2013 proposes additional $44 million for faster processing of citizenship applications over the next two years, which will be funded through increased application fees (so, the fee will be higher than the current $200). I guess this will also result in faster processing of the older applications submitted prior to April, 2013 as they need to get older applications out of the way before being able to process the newer ones faster.

mikeathome said:
Yes, you are most likely right. Thanks for the explanation.

Mike

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian999 said:
But looks like they will increase the manpower and resourses starting in April. Budget 2013 proposes additional $44 million for faster processing of citizenship applications over the next two years, which will be funded through increased application fees
I read from the news that this will happen. But do you have any source stating that the time is this April? Thank you.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian999 said:
But looks like they will increase the manpower and resourses starting in April. Budget 2013 proposes additional $44 million for faster processing of citizenship applications over the next two years, which will be funded through increased application fees (so, the fee will be higher than the current $200). I guess this will also result in faster processing of the older applications submitted prior to April, 2013 as they need to get older applications out of the way before being able to process the newer ones faster.
Can I find comparison between CIC budgets for 2012 and 2013 somewhere?

I'm afraid if there will be a speed-up, CIC will resort to process newer applications faster (those who will pay more), while older applications processing will be still slow.

It'll also allow CIC to improve its deplorable timelines and image. How they calculate timelines-- take finalized cases and see how long it took to complete them-- so there's more sense to expedite newer applications as it will help to improve CIC performance statistics dramatically, at least initially, at the expense of the older applications sitting on shelves.

A somewhat related development has happened in Ireland (illustrates what can happen here), where immigration minister had promised to cut citizenship timelines from 30 to 6 months. He achieved it, but with a catch-- for newer applications only.

Also, there's already multi-tiered timeline in CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mikeathome said:
My wife sent her application on Feb'4. Here's her status update (status was changed online yesterday or today, I am checking every two days).

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 11, 2013.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on February 11, 2013. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

The status shows: In Process
Processing office:Ottawa

If I recall right my status change from 'Received' to 'In Process' took 8 months. I hope it's not just a reporting change.

Mike
Does it say online in your case when did they start processing the application !

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
professional 1 said:
Does it say online in your case when did they start processing the application !
Yes, same day, Feb 11. But again, that might well be only a reporting change.

Mike

tra

Dec 25, 2012
Hi Guys,

I sent my app on Feb 2, and have not heard anything yet. Checking online status using my client id number but nothing show up. Am I supposed to use PR card number or immigration file number to view my citizenship app status, if available?

Thank you

mikeathome said:
Yes, same day, Feb 11. But again, that might well be only a reporting change.

Mike

mikeathome

Star Member
Dec 12, 2012
tra said:
Hi Guys,

I sent my app on Feb 2, and have not heard anything yet. Checking online status using my client id number but nothing show up. Am I supposed to use PR card number or immigration file number to view my citizenship app status, if available?

Thank you
Client ID, which is your PR card number was the only which worked for me and my wife.

Mike

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EasyRider said:

Sidney are now doing initial checks (File Analysis) which amongst other things flags for pre-test RQ.

Since this is a 'processing' step CIC are switching applications into 'in process' soon after your ecas gives you the AOR and Discover Canada mailed message. Previously 'in process' meant your file had been transferred to the local office - depending on where this was then it gave you an idea of how soon your application would be completed e.g Hamilton quick, Edmonton slow, Yellowknife - good luck.

To summarize applications haven't been speeded up. That will only occur when either the CIC resource is increased (funded by higher fees) or applications reduced likely by amendments to the Citizenship Act e.g. increase qualifying period to 5 years of physical presence.

CanadianSam

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Applied for grant of Citizenship: July 6, 2012
Acknowlegement Letter with Discover Canada book Sent by CIC: August 7, 2012 (Date on Letter)
Acknowlegement Letter Recieved in Mail: September 10, 2012
Single Application.
file transfered to Scarborough Office: January 7, 2013
Still Waiting

John P.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
My dad's application timeline:

Application submission 16 Dec 2012
Application receipt at CPC-Sydney 20 December 2012
Acknowledgement letter sent on 20 December 2012 (haven't been received as of now)
Processing started 27 March 2013

karmadoc

Oct 15, 2012
Wow all those timelines seem very quick, here's mine:

Application received Oct 31, 2011
Acknowledgement letter sent Oct 31, 2011
I think I received the letter and study book mid November 2011
Started processing my application October 2, 2012
In Process Status as of April 2, 2013

Still waiting...

Current wait time is 23 months from receipt of application to oath ceremony...pathetic!
When I first sent my application it was 18 months :(

anin14

Jul 13, 2011
karmadoc

similar to mine except that i was recently given the privilege of filling out a RQ after having waited for 18 months.