+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Canada without provincial healthcare coverage (NOT BIRTH TOURISM)

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
You are right about the group insurance. It sits on top of the provincial coverage and is an add on to what the province offers. Your spouse can't benefit from the group insurance without first qualifying for the provincial coverage.

There are in fact private travel insurance policies that will cover some of the costs related to giving birth but these policies must be purchased before someone is pregnant. So moot point in this situation.

Yeah, there is at least 6 or 10 waiting period before being pregnant. Plus such insurances do not come cheap.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Wow, good to know thanks. I will make sure to get insurance before we even try.
Just to be clear, the waiting period referenced is for travel insurance that you'd get for someone not yet eligible for provincial health care. Private insurance through an employer wouldn't really need to cover pregnancy related stuff because provincial health care does cover pregnancy and birth, and insurance via an employer simply tops up provincial health care typically for "extras" like chiro, dental, vision etc. For instance for my family, our private insurance via my husband's job would only be involved in pregnancy/birth if I were given a private room at the hospital because there's coverage for that (reduces the rate from $70 to $10) and that's the only thing that provincial health care doesn't cover fully in the pregnancy/birth. (Of course there aren't actually private rooms in labour and delivery at the local hospital so it's a bit of a moot point here locally.)

Reactions: colgate1

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Just to be clear, the waiting period referenced is for travel insurance that you'd get for someone not yet eligible for provincial health care. Private insurance through an employer wouldn't really need to cover pregnancy related stuff because provincial health care does cover pregnancy and birth, and insurance via an employer simply tops up provincial health care typically for "extras" like chiro, dental, vision etc. For instance for my family, our private insurance via my husband's job would only be involved in pregnancy/birth if I were given a private room at the hospital because there's coverage for that (reduces the rate from $70 to $10) and that's the only thing that provincial health care doesn't cover fully in the pregnancy/birth. (Of course there aren't actually private rooms in labour and delivery at the local hospital so it's a bit of a moot point here locally.)
Yes thanks. I was talking about getting private insurance for someone not yet eligible for provincial health care because they are still waiting for their PR while visiting Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes thanks. I was talking about getting private insurance for someone not yet eligible for provincial health care because they are still waiting for their PR while visiting Canada.
For various reasons it would be best to wait until someone has received PR and has worked in Canada before any planned pregnancy. Dealing with insurance is in general difficult and not pleasant especially for longterm health issues. Many insurance companies will try to find reasons not to pay out claims. Given the low cost of travel medical insurance and the amount they will end up paying out fir care throughout a pregnancy and delivery the insurance company may go through your application and medical records to look for any inaccuracies and to ensure that you got pregnant after arriving in Canada and after purchasing the insurance. Wouldn’t purposely choose to deal with insurance companies versus wait a few months to a year. Without a certain number of work hours in Canada your spouse will not qualify for maternity EI payments. With the high cost of living any extra money helps. It is much more difficult to get hired if you are pregnant even though you can’t legally discriminate against a pregnant woman. Many experience significant symptoms during pregnancy from significant nausea, bleeding to requireing bed rest. If you are a new employee you may be on a probationary period, have no sick leave, do not qualify for short term or longterm disability, etc. There will also be less understanding if you need to take it easy or not bring 100% if you haven’t been a good employee before becoming pregnant.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
NB is the same, and I believe NS is too.

Thanks for your congrats on the other post, and I wish you and your growing family all the best as you welcome your child!
Due to the low levels of immigration to the Maritimes you get insurance on arrival. That may change if the level of immigration increases. You will struggle to find doctors in the Maritimes. Due to the low pay and the fact that many of the jobs are in smaller cities many doctors don’t want to work in the Maritimes.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
For various reasons it would be best to wait until someone has received PR and has worked in Canada before any planned pregnancy. Dealing with insurance is in general difficult and not pleasant especially for longterm health issues. Many insurance companies will try to find reasons not to pay out claims. Given the low cost of travel medical insurance and the amount they will end up paying out fir care throughout a pregnancy and delivery the insurance company may go through your application and medical records to look for any inaccuracies and to ensure that you got pregnant after arriving in Canada and after purchasing the insurance. Wouldn’t purposely choose to deal with insurance companies versus wait a few months to a year. Without a certain number of work hours in Canada your spouse will not qualify for maternity EI payments. With the high cost of living any extra money helps. It is much more difficult to get hired if you are pregnant even though you can’t legally discriminate against a pregnant woman. Many experience significant symptoms during pregnancy from significant nausea, bleeding to requireing bed rest. If you are a new employee you may be on a probationary period, have no sick leave, do not qualify for short term or longterm disability, etc. There will also be less understanding if you need to take it easy or not bring 100% if you haven’t been a good employee before becoming pregnant.
My spouse is not planning to work in Canada, she will be a housewife, at least that's what she wants in the beginning. Plus I'm in Quebec, and she doesn't speak French so unlikely she was getting a job anyways.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My spouse is not planning to work in Canada, she will be a housewife, at least that's what she wants in the beginning. Plus I'm in Quebec, and she doesn't speak French so unlikely she was getting a job anyways.
Still possible to get a job with English. Unfortunate since working would provide many benefits both financially and to being able to meet others living in Canada, create your own social networks, help with learning some French, get you out of the house, etc. all of which can be very important when moving to a new country. Hopefully she will sign up for French courses instead. Still wouldn’t choose to willingly deal with insurance companies when you know their goal will be to find a reason to try and deny your claims. Also a pain to find doctors and hospitals that will accept private payment versus having access to all Doctors and hospitals.

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
Still possible to get a job with English. Unfortunate since working would provide many benefits both financially and to being able to meet others living in Canada, create your own social networks, help with learning some French, get you out of the house, etc. all of which can be very important when moving to a new country. Hopefully she will sign up for French courses instead. Still wouldn’t choose to willingly deal with insurance companies when you know their goal will be to find a reason to try and deny your claims. Also a pain to find doctors and hospitals that will accept private payment versus having access to all Doctors and hospitals.
Yes, but those jobs are far and few between. I agree would be good to work, but she's been working all her life in her home country and wants to take a break. French would definitely help just in general for everyday life, but first priority is to get really good at English.

I agree about insurance companies but who knows how long the PR application could take. Anyways, she isn't here yet, still waiting for a decision on TRV.

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
We are having hard time finding an obstetrician that would provide prenatal care to my wife without ohip eventhough we pay out of pocket.

We went to a few hospitals in GTA with a referral, they did not accept my wife as a patient. Apparently, you have to be high risk patient to be accepted without ohip. It is unbelievable!!!

I have reached out to midwifes as well but they were not available either.

I cannot find a doctor in my very own country for my pregnant wife!!

Does anyone perhaps know any obstetricians that could accept patients without ohip that willing to pay out of pocket up front? Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We are having hard time finding an obstetrician that would provide prenatal care to my wife without ohip eventhough we pay out of pocket.

We went to a few hospitals in GTA with a referral, they did not accept my wife as a patient. Apparently, you have to be high risk patient to be accepted without ohip. It is unbelievable!!!

Does anyone perhaps know any obstetricians that could accept patients without ohip that willing to pay out of pocket up front? Thank you.
What about nurse practitioners? Nurse practitioners visits are not covered by OHIP so you pay out of pocket. It will be very difficult to find an ob/gyn without OHIP as most doctors are maxed out and can only take on OHIP patients.

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
What about nurse practitioners? Nurse practitioners visits are not covered by OHIP so you pay out of pocket. It will be very difficult to find an ob/gyn without OHIP as most doctors are maxed out and can only take on OHIP patients.
How can you see a nurse practitioner? And what so they exactly offer different than a walk in clinic doctor that you couldnpay out of pocket as well?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How can you see a nurse practitioner? And what so they exactly offer different than a walk in clinic doctor that you couldnpay out of pocket as well?
Find a NP in your area. They are for people who don’t have a family doctor but want continued/same person services. They can order tests and give prescriptions. Google NP for your area.

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Find a NP in your area. They are for people who don’t have a family doctor but want continued/same person services. They can order tests and give prescriptions. Google NP for your area.
Thank you for your recommendation.

Walkin clinic doctor can do the same as well. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Can you just show up at the hospital's labour and delivery triage to give birth without ohip and pay out of pocket in Ontario?

Are they gonna turn you down and not gonna allow you to give birth at their hospital?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

In Ontario care must go to with OHIP first and with shortages many hospitals have decided to not accept any foreign national patients. Meeting the demands of those with OHIP is already difficult.