+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Canada without provincial healthcare coverage (NOT BIRTH TOURISM)

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Think they deal with people with OHIP quite frequently. Many google abortion and the first thing that comes up is the crisis pregnancy centres on purpose. I would avoid these centres. They are not healthcare resources and their primary goal is to prevent abortions not provide the best healthcare. The list of physicians they may have are likely limited to physicians that have strong views about religion and not just good local physicians who practice based on medicine not religion.

Let’s be honest the prenatal care options are purely based on their religious views not based on medical evidence. Their goal is not to provide the best healthcare for women it is to prevent abortions. There is a current case in the US where a pregnancy crisis centre missed an ectopic pregnancy and a woman almost died. If you want to suggest a resources contact a planned parenthood for example if one is available in your city in Canada or your local hospital for example. You could also contact a medical clinic that helps refugees and/or the undocumented. All these options will provide healthcare resources without factoring in religious views.
We will try both options. Let's try not to argue with each other. I know y'all trying to help :D

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Suggesting them merely as a place that would have a list of prenatal care options, and likely deals with people without OHIP frequently. I'm familiar with what they do and don't do. And they DO have lists of prenatal care options for a variety of circumstances
Thanks again for your suggestion.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply.

Canadian embassies overseas is a joke! I am sure there is at least backlog of 6 months. We might consider though that temp passport, if needed.
I have many contacts and friends who have got the temp passport for children. Timeframes I have heard are less than two months - but ALL of the people I have spoken to about this have said getting their own documentation in order (birth certificate etc) has been the limiting factor. (Most have said their own organisation of travel with an infant was the biggest delay).

None have said that the embassy in the end was the problem (eg if they had a real emergency they'd have been able to get sooner).

However - all have complained the hardest step was getting a response from embassy - terrible these days (hard to get a human on the phone, hard to get a written response that is non-form letter).

All I can say is - for this one needs the CONSULAR section, not the visa section. And the global consular help line is worth trying.

I've not had this particular experience myself though so can only report secondhand. YMMV.

Important to note - the embassies cannot deal with or help with the citizenship certificate. Not their fault. That's Ircc in Canada. The embassies can issue passports (temporary, emergecny, etc) for those they know or believe to be Canadian citizens.

For infants whose parents can show they are citizens (not by descent), that's what they do - issue documents based on presumed citizenship status. This is actually quite common and not a big deal (proof of birth in Canada or naturalization usually enough). I believe a Canadian passport that shows a place in Canada as place of birth is usually enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttanin and colgate1

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
I have many contacts and friends who have got the temp passport for children. Timeframes I have heard are less than two months - but ALL of the people I have spoken to about this have said getting their own documentation in order (birth certificate etc) has been the limiting factor. (Most have said their own organisation of travel with an infant was the biggest delay).

None have said that the embassy in the end was the problem (eg if they had a real emergency they'd have been able to get sooner).

However - all have complained the hardest step was getting a response from embassy - terrible these days (hard to get a human on the phone, hard to get a written response that is non-form letter).

All I can say is - for this one needs the CONSULAR section, not the visa section. And the global consular help line is worth trying.

I've not had this particular experience myself though so can only report secondhand. YMMV.

Important to note - the embassies cannot deal with or help with the citizenship certificate. Not their fault. That's Ircc in Canada. The embassies can issue passports (temporary, emergecny, etc) for those they know or believe to be Canadian citizens.

For infants whose parents can show they are citizens (not by descent), that's what they do - issue documents based on presumed citizenship status. This is actually quite common and not a big deal (proof of birth in Canada or naturalization usually enough). I believe a Canadian passport that shows a place in Canada as place of birth is usually enough.
Thank you. Noted.I find this information is very useful.

This is actually what I meant earlier. They have always been terrible. I had do deal with them 15 years ago when I lost my passport during one of my travels.

I dont think we would be comfortable to travel with an infant either until our child turns 1 or 2 years old. Thank you

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply. Yeah, I have a GP. Perhaps, yeah, I could reach out to them and see if they recommend any obgyns. She has had prenatal care and all the required tests were done. Good know NICU cost would be covered by the baby's OHIP.

I will make a note of your reply @canuck78 Thanks again!
Your GP would also know what local hospital would also have a L&D ward. You can also just ask the administrative staff what OB they normally refer their patients to or what local hospital has a labour and delivery ward if you can’t see an OB. I’m confused if your spouse has been living in Ontario and has been receiving prenatal care do they not have an OB, midwife or GP they are seeing already?

Reactions: colgate1

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Thank you. Noted.I find this information is very useful.

This is actually what I meant earlier. They have always been terrible. I had do deal with them 15 years ago when I lost my passport during one of my travels.

I dont think we would be comfortable to travel with an infant either until our child turns 1 or 2 years old. Thank you
Move to Alberta. Healthcare start for your wife on arrival and is valid as long as she has status.

Reactions: T0pubo and colgate1

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Your GP would also know what local hospital would also have a L&D ward. You can also just ask the administrative staff what OB they normally refer their patients to or what local hospital has a labour and delivery ward if you can’t see an OB. I’m confused if your spouse has been living in Ontario and has been receiving prenatal care do they not have an OB, midwife or GP they are seeing already?
She has received her prenatal care in her home country.

Yeah, I will talk to my GP and ask the admin staff as well. Thank you

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Move to Alberta. Healthcare start for your wife on arrival and is valid as long as she has status.
The wife and then the baby would need to commit to living there for at least a year to qualify for provincial healthcare which may not be an option. Residency requirement used to be 6 months but assume the amount of pregnant women choosing to arrive and give birth in Alberta and in general the increased number of immigrants choosing to settle in Alberta lead to the increase. If you pay to move, have to find a new job, have to pay to have family come stay with you to help out or pay for childcare if you need to go somewhere without your baby or just need a sanity break etc. moving to Alberta may cost more than paying for medical care out of pocket.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have found the level of service to be all over the place. For a long time, I was dealing with an embassy where the service was consistently ok - helped by the fact that I had some contacts (although that was only a minor factor).

Last few times I've (attempted) to get consular service or help others, it's that initial step of getting through to them that got much worse. (I know that some change in leadership and retirement of local staff was a factor but not the only one). In the end, it did work.

I hear from others that the global consular service hotline is functional. I haven't had to use it (knock wood).

It's a big step either way (i.e. before or after birth). I think once a child is born, it overall becomes much easier to move - or at least if no major health issues.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Yeah man. Moving to Alberta looks tempting but probably at a later stage. It is too much work to relocate at the moment.
NB is the same, and I believe NS is too.

Thanks for your congrats on the other post, and I wish you and your growing family all the best as you welcome your child!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
No. Too late. Only possible before pregnancy.
I dont think there is any private insruance that covers the actual delivery in Canada. I have my group insurance but sinc birth services are covered by ohip, it does not cover giving birth.

Not to mention, you need a provincial healthcare coverage first and then youe spouse can be added to your group insurance. At least this is how it works in my company...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I dont think there is any private insruance that covers the actual delivery in Canada. I have my group insurance but sinc birth services are covered by ohip, it does not cover giving birth.

Not to mention, you need a provincial healthcare coverage first and then youe spouse can be added to your group insurance. At least this is how it works in my company...
You are right about the group insurance. It sits on top of the provincial coverage and is an add on to what the province offers. Your spouse can't benefit from the group insurance without first qualifying for the provincial coverage.

There are in fact private travel insurance policies that will cover some of the costs related to giving birth but these policies must be purchased before someone is pregnant. So moot point in this situation.