+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth in Canada without provincial healthcare coverage (NOT BIRTH TOURISM)

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am a citizen and very frustrated. I live in Canada. My wife is pregnant and does not qualify for a provincial healthcare, OHIP to be exact. She is due in couple months. We plan on giving birth to our first child in Canada and not at her home country.... There is just another paperwork and processing time that we would have to go through if my wife gives birth at her home country just to get my own kid to home in Canada . She has her visitor visa. We currently living together in Ontario. Citizenship certificate processing time is at least 10 months, if everything goes okay. YACK!

As the title says this is NOT a birth tourism. Therefore, please do NOT refer anything related to birth tourism.

We are NOT looking for a free way out. We are aware that we need to pay for the birth services. My concern is noone knows how much it would be until that very day... It is a very gray area.

I don't even know where to start... We would need find a hospital in GTA that accepts patients without OHIP for childbirth services plus an obgyn that has privilege at that hospital.

I have seen some threads from years ago. Things change and prices of anything have gone through the roof.

Does anyone know of anyone recently give birth without provincial healthcare in GTA or gone through the similar thing that we are going through now? In practical, at what hospital and obgyn helped delivering the baby ( You can IM me if you would like) and how much they ended up paying to the hospital and obyn?

Is there any way to get free or discounted monthly checkups for pregnant woman includes ultrasound provided by Toronto Community Health Centers?

We are interested in C-section and private room.

Thank you.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am a citizen and very frustrated. I live in Canada. My wife is pregnant and does not qualify for a provincial healthcare, OHIP to be exact. She is due in couple months. We plan on giving birth to our first child in Canada and not at her home country.... There is just another paperwork and processing time that we would have to go through if my wife gives birth at her home country just to get my own kid to home in Canada . She has her visitor visa. We currently living together in Ontario. Citizenship certificate processing time is at least 10 months, if everything goes okay. YACK!

As the title says this is NOT a birth tourism. Therefore, please do NOT refer anything related to birth tourism.

We are NOT looking for a free way out. We are aware that we need to pay for the birth services. My concern is noone knows how much it would be until that very day... It is a very gray area.

I don't even know where to start... We would need find a hospital in GTA that accepts patients without OHIP for childbirth services plus an obgyn that has privilege at that hospital.

I have seen some threads from years ago. Things change and prices of anything have gone through the roof.

Does anyone know of anyone recently give birth without provincial healthcare in GTA or gone through the similar thing that we are going through now? In practical, at what hospital and obgyn helped delivering the baby ( You can IM me if you would like) and how much they ended up paying to the hospital and obyn?

Is there any way to get free or discounted monthly checkups for pregnant woman includes ultrasound provided by Toronto Community Health Centers?

Thank you.
You said, Citizenship certificate processing time is at least 10 months, Is your wife a PR or waiting for PR?

Reactions: T0pubo and colgate1

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
How do you know for sure your wife doesn't qualify? Have you contacted Ontario Health?

I live in a different province, and like you, my wife is waiting for her PR, which she applied for after arriving on a visitor's visa. The provincial healthcare accepted my spouse's application, and the eligibility document was the IRCC payment receipt, not the AOR even. We are still waiting for AOR.

Reactions: T0pubo and colgate1

colgate1

Star Member
Jul 1, 2023
How do you know for sure your wife doesn't qualify? Have you contacted Ontario Health?

I live in a different province, and like you, my wife is waiting for her PR, which she applied for after arriving on a visitor's visa. The provincial healthcare accepted my spouse's application, and the eligibility document was the IRCC payment receipt, not the AOR even. We are still waiting for AOR.
She does not. My concern is not whether she qualifies for provincial healthcare or not but things that I highlighted.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
- Prices will depend on what happens during delivery. So at best you will get a ballpark but there's no way to know the final bill in advance. I thought C-section were running around 10k to 12k with a shared room a few years ago in Ontario but my price info is probably dated. This would be with no complications obviously.
- I was going to recommend looking into a midwife to try to keep the costs low but that's a no-go if you need a C-section.
- I'm not sure if you find the hospital first or get referred to the OBGYN first and then attached to a specific hospital. I would think it would be the second but could be mistaken.

Sorry. Can't be of much help. Hopefully others can comment.

Reactions: colgate1

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Ontario has different rules.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

Thank you.
And just to make one thing clear, there is really no cap on what the birth may cost you if there are complications. This is why you won't get a fixed price on what it will cost in advance.

In the event of more serious complication, that number can get extremely high.

Wishing you an extremely straight forward birth! :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Citizenship certificate processing time is at least 10 months, if everything goes okay. YACK!
Waiting for a PR. She would not qualify OHIP by the time she gives birth.
Sorry, so what relevance does the citizenship certificate processing time have to do with anything here?

Not criticizing, it's just stuck in my head as a concern that this comment is here for some reason related to your wife's case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry, so what relevance does the citizenship certificate processing time have to do with anything here?

Not criticizing, it's just stuck in my head as a concern that this comment is here for some reason related to your wife's case.
I think OP is commenting on the length of time to process the citizenship certificate to get a passport and bring the child to Canada if the child is born outside of Canada. At least that was my interpretation. Of course the OP wouldn't need to wait the 10 months for the cert and could apply for a temp passport to bring the child to Canada sooner.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think OP is commenting on the length of time to process the citizenship certificate to get a passport and bring the child to Canada if the child is born outside of Canada. At least that was my interpretation. Of course the OP wouldn't need to wait the 10 months for the cert and could apply for a temp passport to bring the child to Canada sooner.
Ah, thanks. Yes, the citizenship certificate is not the limiting factor in being able to return with an infant to Canada.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Have you tried calling a hospital and asking to get put through to the billing department and asking them directly what costs are? Presumably there's a standard room rate per day etc. Also, if you haven't already, have you confirmed at what point after delivery Ohip kicks in for the newborn? If God forbid there's a NICU stay, would that get billed to Ohip (since I assume newborn Ontarians are eligible without a waiting period) or still be billed under your wife's stay? As for finding a hospital that will let her deliver without Ohip, I'd be shocked if legally a hospital can deny care to someone in labour because of her insurance status. Realistically hospitals are going to deal with people without provincial coverage all the time (visitors, people in the waiting period for coverage etc).

As for prenatal care, have you called crisis pregnancy centres? Those places usually know all there is to be known about access to prenatal care in a variety of circumstances.