+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after PPR

ashishapar007

Jul 25, 2015
Hello. Need advice on a my situation.

I am going to include my soon to be wife in my application after filing eapr and before ppr. Can you please advice me on following.

1) how long does IRCC give to upload and send all docs after updating about marriage.
2) Can my soon to be wife have her PCC done before marriage?
3) Similarly, can she have her medicals done before marriage?

Please share your experiences, it will be very helpful.

Thank you.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
ashishapar007 said:
Hello. Need advice on a my situation.

I am going to include my soon to be wife in my application after filing eapr and before ppr. Can you please advice me on following.

1) how long does IRCC give to upload and send all docs after updating about marriage.
No guarantee. For some people 7 days, for others 30 days.

2) Can my soon to be wife have her PCC done before marriage?
Yes.

3) Similarly, can she have her medicals done before marriage?
I don't know, but I doubt it. Her medical is "Family" category and they might ask for your EE application number. One strategy would be to schedule her medical exam within 7 days after your marriage.

Please share your experiences, it will be very helpful.

A piece of advice. If you are not going to have all pieces of information within 7 days, then it would be better not to inform IRCC immediately. In my case, I had everything done except the marriage certificate and IRCC did not extend the 7 days despite several requests.

Thank you.

ashishapar007

Jul 25, 2015
Thank you Deadbird for your reply. Appreciated. Can you please answer these follow up questions.

1) Are you sure about the PCC can be done before marriage for my fiancee as long as it is valid. Did you do the same for your spouse before marriage? Not to doubt you just confirming. :)
2) Did they ask all the documents including medicals also in 7 day time period?
3) If I inform them after 2-3 weeks after marriage, would it be fine or too long to tell them? In the mean time I will be able to collect all documents.
4) Does my spouse have to change her last name, or can she apply with same last name as on passport for her application and documents like PCC and medicals and filling documents?

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashishapar007 said:
Thank you Deadbird for your reply. Appreciated. Can you please answer these follow up questions.

1) Are you sure about the PCC can be done before marriage for my fiancee as long as it is valid. Did you do the same for your spouse before marriage? Not to doubt you just confirming. :)
2) Did they ask all the documents including medicals also in 7 day time period?
3) If I inform them after 2-3 weeks after marriage, would it be fine or too long to tell them? In the mean time I will be able to collect all documents.
4) Does my spouse have to change her last name, or can she apply with same last name as on passport for her application and documents like PCC and medicals and filling documents?
1) Yes, just has to be within the last 6 months.
2) For me they did I believe for others the gave 30 days it's pretty random.
3) I wouldn't advise it. Their email clearly states to advise them immediately upon change of family. I did it within a few days but around a week I presume to be normal. 2-3 weeks is probably pushing it. If you're worried about the documents I wouldn't worry too much. If I were you I'd request the maximum allowable time to submit documents in my initial email. In any case apart from the issuance of the marriage certificate the rest of the stuff is pretty standard and straight forward. If the marriage certificate wasn't ready by the time of submission I'd include receipts and the likes that would confirm the processing of your marriage certificate and writing a LOE informing them of when you expect to send it as a follow up document to your application.
4) No need.

ashishapar007

Jul 25, 2015
Ufa6174 said:
1) Yes, just has to be within the last 6 months.
2) For me they did I believe for others the gave 30 days it's pretty random.
3) I wouldn't advise it. Their email clearly states to advise them immediately upon change of family. I did it within a few days but around a week I presume to be normal. 2-3 weeks is probably pushing it. If you're worried about the documents I wouldn't worry too much. If I were you I'd request the maximum allowable time to submit documents in my initial email. In any case apart from the issuance of the marriage certificate the rest of the stuff is pretty standard and straight forward. If the marriage certificate wasn't ready by the time of submission I'd include receipts and the likes that would confirm the processing of your marriage certificate and writing a LOE informing them of when you expect to send it as a follow up document to your application.
4) No need.
Thank you Ufa6174 for your reply. I appreciate it.

Regarding informing IRCC, I am getting married on April 19, and going to inform them on May 1st with my marriage certificate. In between, I have travelling plans and other things. I guess this time frame should be fine??

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashishapar007 said:
Thank you Ufa6174 for your reply. I appreciate it.

Regarding informing IRCC, I am getting married on April 19, and going to inform them on May 1st with my marriage certificate. In between, I have travelling plans and other things. I guess this time frame should be fine??
The important thing is to notify CIC of the change promptly. We could all debate what promptly is but I don't think it's what's important. You do not need to attach the marriage certificate in the CSE when you notify them, and it typically takes CIC up to 2 weeks to reply to your enquiry. By that time you would definitely have the marriage certificate and presumably the rest of the required documents ready.

ashishapar007

Jul 25, 2015
Ufa6174 said:
The important thing is to notify CIC of the change promptly. We could all debate what promptly is but I don't think it's what's important. You do not need to attach the marriage certificate in the CSE when you notify them, and it typically takes CIC up to 2 weeks to reply to your enquiry. By that time you would definitely have the marriage certificate and presumably the rest of the required documents ready.
Thank you Ufa6174. Appreciate your answer. :)

ashishapar007

Jul 25, 2015
Ufa6174 said:
Ulfa6174, can you please share the documents and forms IRCC request after update of marriage status. And how did you notified IRCC. CSE web form or email to CPC ottawa?

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
Hi All,
I got married on 19 Dec 2016.

On 22 Dec 2016, CIC requested I post my passport to the CHC, Pretoria. I sent them my passport as well as a letter of update of marital status and marriage certificate. (the CHC, Pretoria confirmed they received all this information on 6 Jan 2017).

On 19 Jan 2017, they approved my PR - so I phoned them and asked why they had not joined my spouse to my application as its the practice that they should ask me for her PCC, Medical etc. The CHC, Pretoria said to me that they are not aware of such a process.

So my questions:
1. How do I add my spouse to my profile so that she can come with me to Canada?
2. Is it correct to be liaising with the CHC, Pretoria rather than the CIC?

Any assistance would be great as I am not having luck with the CHC.

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
DylB said:
Hi All,
I got married on 19 Dec 2016.

On 22 Dec 2016, CIC requested I post my passport to the CHC, Pretoria. I sent them my passport as well as a letter of update of marital status and marriage certificate. (the CHC, Pretoria confirmed they received all this information on 6 Jan 2017).

On 19 Jan 2017, they approved my PR - so I phoned them and asked why they had not joined my spouse to my application as its the practice that they should ask me for her PCC, Medical etc. The CHC, Pretoria said to me that they are not aware of such a process.

So my questions:
1. How do I add my spouse to my profile so that she can come with me to Canada?
2. Is it correct to be liaising with the CHC, Pretoria rather than the CIC?

Any assistance would be great as I am not having luck with the CHC.
Sounds like you should escalate to CIC or CPC Ottawa. Say that you had a "Change in marital status and you would like to add your spouse as a dependent to your PR application."

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
deadbird said:
Sounds like you should escalate to CIC or CPC Ottawa. Say that you had a "Change in marital status and you would like to add your spouse as a dependent to your PR application."
Here are the contact details for CPC ottawa:

CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
deadbird said:
Here are the contact details for CPC ottawa:

CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca
Thank you so so much!!! Really getting no where here with our VO!

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
I received this response from CHC, Pretoria:

"We wish to advise that you are correct in stating that your spouse needs to be added to your application. She has to be examined even if she is not accompanying you to Canada at this stage. Apologies if this was not clearly explained to you before.

You need to do the following:

Return the COPR form and your original passport to our office for cancellation.

To add your spouse to your application we require the following documents:
-Copy of your spouse's birth certificate .
- Copy of your marriage certificate.
- Original police certificates from all the countries your spouse has resided in for longer than 6 months after the age of 18.
- Completed Schedule A Background/Declaration form and Additional Family Information form (IMM5406)for your spouse.
- Updated Generic Application Form For Canada (IMM0008 ) and updated IMM5406 "Additional Family Information" form for yourself.
The abovementioned forms can be downloaded from the following website: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/southafrica-afriquedusud/visas/forms-formulaires.aspx
All documents must be translated into English or French by a Sworn Translator, if applicable.
"

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashishapar007 said:
Ulfa6174, can you please share the documents and forms IRCC request after update of marriage status. And how did you notified IRCC. CSE web form or email to CPC ottawa?
Apologies for the late reply.
Either CSE or email should work, probably CSE makes the most sense.

Docs: payment receipt; IMM0008ENU_2D (for both); IMM5406E (for both); imm5669E (spouse only); IMM5562E (spouse); spouse passport, birth certificate, medicals, and police; marriage certificate; proof of relationship photos; and INCLUSION OF A SPOUSE questionnaire (both).

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
Hi All,

When you have added your spouse as a dependent on your application, what does that mean when the principal applicant gets granted his/her PR? Does the spouse also get PR or does that just mean you can sponsor your spouse when you land in Canada?