Getting married after PPR

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm a December AOR applicant, expecting my PPR hopefully anytime between today and June.

I may be getting married soon. I expect this likely to happen after I'm issued COPR and before landing. I'm wondering if anybody have experience/ knowledge of the process of getting the wifey PPR too. How to inform CIC of the change, what's the process after that, how long does it typically take, etc?

Would be very grateful to hear your experiences/ opinions.

Also side question, is it Ok to do landing and then leave after a few days, provided we supply an address of a friend whom will courier us PRs home later on? I.e. do we need to (legally or practically) be physically present in Canada while our PR cards are being prepared?

Many thanks!

vaibhavxv

Mar 26, 2014
Ufa6174 said:
Hi,

I'm a December AOR applicant, expecting my PPR hopefully anytime between today and June.

I may be getting married soon. I expect this likely to happen after I'm issued COPR and before landing. I'm wondering if anybody have experience/ knowledge of the process of getting the wifey PPR too. How to inform CIC of the change, what's the process after that, how long does it typically take, etc?

Also side question, is it Ok to do landing and then leave after a few days, provided we supply an address of a friend whom will courier us PRs home later on? I.e. do we need to (legally or practically) be physically present in Canada while our PR cards are being prepared?

Many thanks!
I got PR last year and I was planning to get married around same time (before getting PR). When you get passport request email, they ask you if your status is changing in next 6 months or so. And I would recommend to let them know that you are getting married and plan to get PR for your spouse as well. Then add your spouse's name in ur application before landing itself. If you don't add Spouse in ur application before you land, you will have to file separate PR application for your spouse. Hope this helps :)

vaibhavxv

Mar 26, 2014
Ufa6174 said:
Hi,

Many thanks!
Regarding second question - Only landing is enough. But remember, you won't be able to enter Canada without PR card - not even using COPR, unless you are entering by road from US, so make sure someone couriers you the PR cards before you plan to enter Canada again.

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you vaibhavxv. +1!

A couple of clarifications;

- What kinda documentation did you need for your spouse, is it ECA, PC, POF and all that jazz?
- Do you know if it's not mandatory to remain in Canada while waiting for PR? i.e. you're required to do so by law or you need to be readily available shall something come up and CIC need to contact you regarding the PR application?

Cheers

JK_CAD

Jul 10, 2015
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-Jul-2015
Doc's Request.
10-Sep-2015 (Chest X-Ray)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
31-Jul-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
08-Aug-2015
Med's Done....
09-Oct-2015
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
30-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jan-2016
LANDED..........
16-Jan-2016
Ufa6174 said:
Thank you vaibhavxv. +1!

A couple of clarifications;

- What kinda documentation did you need for your spouse, is it ECA, PC, POF and all that jazz?
- Do you know if it's not mandatory to remain in Canada while waiting for PR? i.e. you're required to do so by law or you need to be readily available shall something come up and CIC need to contact you regarding the PR application?

Cheers
- ECA is not mandatory for dependents unless you are claiming points for it. PC is mandatory for all applicants within PR application. Primary applicants has to show PoF for family. Check details for PoF here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp. You will need marriage certificate as well.
- Not required to stay in Canada while waiting for PR.

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JK_CAD said:
- ECA is not mandatory for dependents unless you are claiming points for it. PC is mandatory for all applicants within PR application. Primary applicants has to show PoF for family. Check details for PoF here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp. You will need marriage certificate as well.
- Not required to stay in Canada while waiting for PR.
Thank you. Just to be clear, in a case like mine where I'd notify CIC of marriage before PPR or landing (i.e. after application approval), I wouldn't need to claim points for spouse since I'm already approved but I'd need to provide PC and POF which is sensible I guess?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Ufa6174 said:
Thank you. Just to be clear, in a case like mine where I'd notify CIC of marriage before PPR or landing (i.e. after application approval), I wouldn't need to claim points for spouse since I'm already approved but I'd need to provide PC and POF which is sensible I guess?

Hi,

First of all, you must decide for yourself about how certain you are that your status will change.
There is no point telling your VO that you are likely to get married.

You basically have 2 options:

i. Postpone your marriage. Get COPR, do your landing and later sponsor your wife. This option will mean that you will avoid delays now, but a lot of delays later, as spousal sponsorship takes a lot of time.
ii. Get married and notify VO of the status change with relevant docs. These docs will be marriage certificate, police clearance for spouse and updated proof of funds. In addition, add some photographs of your marriage and reception. This option will mean that your file will go on hold while they verify information about your spouse and do background checks, medicals etc etc. But this delay is much better than the hassles of sponsorship later.

What you must not do:
Let's say you get PPR, send your passports and VISA is stamped. After this, in a month or two you get married. In this case, you must not land yourself without telling VO, because that will be misrepresentation and you will also not be able to sponsor your spouse later.

Bottom line : There is no point contacting VO with the likely and probable scenarios. However, you must update your VO the moment there is an actual change in your status before landing.

Harish_HKR

Dec 9, 2015
As per Changes to family composition :
Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform CIC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce).

Does this mean that i have time until the landing process( even after the PP has been stamped with the new visa after PPR and the landing process is not yet done ) to change my status to married and include my wife's application with mine so that she also gets the PR along with me ??

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Harish_HKR said:
As per Changes to family composition :
Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued, but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform CIC immediately if their family composition has changed (e.g., birth of a child, marriage, divorce).

Does this mean that i have time until the landing process( even after the PP has been stamped with the new visa after PPR and the landing process is not yet done ) to change my status to married and include my wife's application with mine so that she also gets the PR along with me ??
Yes. spouse can be added to you application any day before landing. However, it is not optional for you to decide whether to add spouse or not.
In case there is any change to your status during the PR application, and this includes the time after COPR and before landing, you MUST notify VO of the changes. Failing to do so amounts to misrepresentation. If you get married and decide to land without notifying VO, then you will not be able to sponsor your spouse later.
Also, when you notify the VO about your newly married status, they will essentially cancel the VISA and COPR they granted you, and issue new ones for both you and spouse after due process.

Ufa6174

Sep 27, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alok4best said:
Hi,

First of all, you must decide for yourself about how certain you are that your status will change.
There is no point telling your VO that you are likely to get married.

You basically have 2 options:

i. Postpone your marriage. Get COPR, do your landing and later sponsor your wife. This option will mean that you will avoid delays now, but a lot of delays later, as spousal sponsorship takes a lot of time.
ii. Get married and notify VO of the status change with relevant docs. These docs will be marriage certificate, police clearance for spouse and updated proof of funds. In addition, add some photographs of your marriage and reception. This option will mean that your file will go on hold while they verify information about your spouse and do background checks, medicals etc etc. But this delay is much better than the hassles of sponsorship later.

What you must not do:
Let's say you get PPR, send your passports and VISA is stamped. After this, in a month or two you get married. In this case, you must not land yourself without telling VO, because that will be misrepresentation and you will also not be able to sponsor your spouse later.

Bottom line : There is no point contacting VO with the likely and probable scenarios. However, you must update your VO the moment there is an actual change in your status before landing.
Thanks. Sure I was planning on contacting CIC only after I'm actually married - was just trying to get some info on the procedure to plan ahead.

What happens to the deadline for landing into Canada for me though? My medicals are valid until Nov 2016. Say I notify CIC of the changes in September and the additional spouse processing takes a couple of months, would they extend the time I'm permitted to enter Canada in light of the change in circumstances or would I still be bound by the expiry of the medicals?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Ufa6174 said:
Thanks. Sure I was planning on contacting CIC only after I'm actually married - was just trying to get some info on the procedure to plan ahead.

What happens to the deadline for landing into Canada for me though? My medicals are valid until Nov 2016. Say I notify CIC of the changes in September and the additional spouse processing takes a couple of months, would they extend the time I'm permitted to enter Canada in light of the change in circumstances or would I still be bound by the expiry of the medicals?
If you get married, your application kind of goes on hold, no matter how close to approval it was.
VO will then do the usual processing of for your spouse.
If your medicals expire while all this is still going on, you will need to redo medicals.

The last possible landing date is always mandated by the expiry of medical results.