Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
Today my background check status changed from "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check" to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." It was never in "Not Applicable" status, so is this IP2 or just a different wording for IP1? I think I read somewhere that it can skip over the "NA" status, but I know these statuses also vary quite a bit in their wording and sequence-- in other words, they don't always follow the same predictable pattern. Has anyone else residing in USA seen this particular sequence?
I had this same pattern. I had "We will send you a message when we start your background check" the day my medicals passed, then the very next day it changed to "We are processing your background check..." and I got a request for RCMP.

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
I had this same pattern. I had "We will send you a message when we start your background check" the day my medicals passed, then the very next day it changed to "We are processing your background check..." and I got a request for RCMP.
It definitely seems to be a pattern for US residents. Thank you for the additional information! Surprisingly, I have not yet been asked for the RCMP criminal record check, even though I lived in Canada for many years. Anyway, I hope it doesn't stay too long in this status for any of us, and proceeds swiftly to PPR!

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got a request for RCMP this Thursday and did fingerprint yesterday. They told me it usually takes one or two weeks to get the record. How long did it take to get PPR after you submitted the RCMP record?

djm1414

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-04-2017
AOR Received.
06-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
I got a request for RCMP this Thursday and did fingerprint yesterday. They told me it usually takes one or two weeks to get the record. How long did it take to get PPR after you submitted the RCMP record?
I haven't submitted mine yet. My fingerprints were processed on July 4, and I am still waiting for the certificate.

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I haven't submitted mine yet. My fingerprints were processed on July 4, and I am still waiting for the certificate.
I see. I wonder what the average time is for background check...

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
There is some evidence that this change to to "IP1" without going through "NA" may actually be equivalent to "IP2"-- have a look at this applicant's timeline:

https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/united-states-of-america-e-apr-tracker/cases/case-18039

His/her BG status went through the same pattern, and the application has now been transferred to the Ottawa Visa Office, which apparently means that the eligibility check (A11.2) has been completed = IP2 (?)

However, I don't understand why some FSW-O USA applicants list Ottawa as their Visa Office, while others list New York or Los Angeles. Can anyone shed some light on this?

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
There is some evidence that this change to to "IP1" without going through "NA" may actually be equivalent to "IP2"-- have a look at this applicant's timeline:

https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/united-states-of-america-e-apr-tracker/cases/case-18039

His/her BG status went through the same pattern, and the application has now been transferred to the Ottawa Visa Office, which apparently means that the eligibility check (A11.2) has been completed = IP2 (?)

However, I don't understand why some FSW-O USA applicants list Ottawa as their Visa Office, while others list New York or Los Angeles. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I read on the forum that all applications from US residents are processed in Ottawa, no transfer stuff.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

They probably might be guessing the office based on Canadian embassy presence. Or earlier (before ee came) I have seen people mentioning their visa office as buffalo. I know for sure that US residents' case get processed in Ottawa off late and they need to send passports there.

I emailed them last week and they informed me that my file is in Ottawa too.

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
They probably might be guessing the office based on Canadian embassy presence. Or earlier (before ee came) I have seen people mentioning their visa office as buffalo. I know for sure that US residents' case get processed in Ottawa off late and they need to send passports there.

I emailed them last week and they informed me that my file is in Ottawa too.
So does that mean US residents can't determine what stage their application is at based on the visa office? Or does the fact that your application is now at Ottawa mean your eligibility check (A11.2) has been completed?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
So does that mean US residents can't determine what stage their application is at based on the visa office? Or does the fact that your application is now at Ottawa mean your eligibility check (A11.2) has been completed?
I don't think so or I'm not sure as nobody knows their processing strategy. Nothing is an accurate indicator of actual application status until passport gets stamped.

grapehair

Jan 14, 2017
I cleared medicals few days ago. My default status was NA which changed to "your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check".

The change was right away. So I believe it is IP1

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I cleared medicals few days ago. My default status was NA which changed to "your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check".

The change was right away. So I believe it is IP1
Cool.. that has been the flow for every US resident so far

ILoveBritishColumbia

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-4-2017
AOR Received.
28-4-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-4-2017
Passport Req..
24-07-2017
I did some analysis on the Tracker cases... I looked at all US residents whose applications were approved and whose BG status went from IP1 directly to PPR without any intermediate stages of NA or IP2. There are 17 such cases. The average processing time from IP1 to PPR was 50 days, with a high of 139 days and a low of 13 days. Excluding two cases with extremely long processing times of 120 and 139 days-- which may have been due to some exceptional security screening issues as @DEEPCUR mentioned-- the average processing time was 40 days. So assuming these applicants were updating the Tracker consistently with all their BG status changes, it looks like we have an average wait time of just over a month if our applications go directly from IP1 to PPR.

Reactions: summerxx

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Thank you for the research! I'll keep the post updated if there's any movement on my side. Let's see if my case will break the record.

I did some analysis on the Tracker cases... I looked at all US residents whose applications were approved and whose BG status went from IP1 directly to PPR without any intermediate stages of NA or IP2. There are 17 such cases. The average processing time from IP1 to PPR was 50 days, with a high of 139 days and a low of 13 days. Excluding two cases with extremely long processing times of 120 and 139 days-- which may have been due to some exceptional security screening issues as @DEEPCUR mentioned-- the average processing time was 40 days. So assuming these applicants were updating the Tracker consistently with all their BG status changes, it looks like we have an average wait time of just over a month if our applications go directly from IP1 to PPR.[/QUOTyou

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I did some analysis on the Tracker cases... I looked at all US residents whose applications were approved and whose BG status went from IP1 directly to PPR without any intermediate stages of NA or IP2. There are 17 such cases. The average processing time from IP1 to PPR was 50 days, with a high of 139 days and a low of 13 days. Excluding two cases with extremely long processing times of 120 and 139 days-- which may have been due to some exceptional security screening issues as @DEEPCUR mentioned-- the average processing time was 40 days. So assuming these applicants were updating the Tracker consistently with all their BG status changes, it looks like we have an average wait time of just over a month if our applications go directly from IP1 to PPR.
Nice analysis. If someone is getting PPR when background check is in progress, then it means that it is indeed IP2. I am not sure if you know this.. the actual message meant for IP1 is - "We are processing your application. Next step is to conduct background check"

High chances are that those quicker cases might be US citizens. Very easy for cic to verify anything related to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: summerxx