FSW 2014 - Cairo Visa Office

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
لسبب ما ما شوفتش البوست اللى تحت .. أسف
EP00193xx is your application number
RB is your immigration file officer initials (by the way (s)he was mine too).

You need to always add this (EP00193xxx (RB)) in your communications with the office..

بالتوفيق

A

amrsoudy said:
الواحد مش عارف يودي جمايلك وجدعنتك فين بس في السابزكت مكتوب ريفرنس نمبر وليس الفايل نمر الليه هوه
Ref # EP00193xxx (RB)

هوه ده اللي اكتبه زي ما هوه ؟؟؟

وايضا الميل اللي انت كتبته هوه ده اللي هنبعت عليه ايصال الاندينج ؟؟؟ هنعمل ريبلاي ولا ميل جديد ؟؟ وبعد ما هبعت هيبعتولي حاجه انهم استلمواا؟؟ وبعد اد ايه

amrsoudy

Star Member
Mar 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AbdelAllah said:
لسبب ما ما شوفتش البوست اللى تحت .. أسف
EP00193xx is your application number
RB is your immigration file officer initials (by the way he(s) was mine too).

You need to always add this (EP00193xxx (RB)) in your communications with the office..

بالتوفيق

A

merci beaucoup monsieur :D

medwiz

May 25, 2014
Brothers it's been a very long time apologies for not coming here for a while.

I guess once most of us received our visas we just got too busy with preparations for travelling to Canada and what to do next!

AbdelAllah my brother a million congratulations on landing... It has been a long journey for you and to complete it must feel amazing el7amdulellah... Welcome back and please once you get a few free minutes share with us your experience and how it went..

I'm planning to travel to Canada early July inshallah and move straight to Halifax in Nova Scotia... I got accepted for a master's degree at a university there starting September inshallah..

Best thing about studying a master's of course is that inshallah it gives you a great start to life in Canada with a solid degree to put in your CV... Also this program gives a co-op option which is like an internship at a company for 8 months again very good on the CV plus an excellent opportunity to continue working in the same place after the Master's and internship are completed

Only problem of course is that a master's degree is pretty expensive... I'm paying 17K Canadian dollars on tuition fees alone... But i hope it will be a good investment inshallah..

Best of luck to all!!

medwiz

May 25, 2014
AbdelAllah said:
Aslamoalaykom brothers .... long time since we had our last interactive discussions, isn't it ....

So .... Al7adule Allah I did landing and come back .... if you are interested to hear the details, write here and I will come back with details ;)

A
Bro congratulations and welcome back!!

How was it please tell..

What did you use as POF upon landing? I already opened a canadian bank account and am planning to use that bank's statement as POF...

amrsoudy

Star Member
Mar 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
is there any one did the medical in near date ?? and what happens after how long time ?

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bro, seems a very good plan, beginning your life in Canada with a study -any study- (Msc is great) is an advice I have seen in many occasions, good luck, and it is worth it.

Did you think of something like OSAP?
Which university did you apply for? in which area?

A

medwiz said:
Brothers it's been a very long time apologies for not coming here for a while.

I guess once most of us received our visas we just got too busy with preparations for travelling to Canada and what to do next!

AbdelAllah my brother a million congratulations on landing... It has been a long journey for you and to complete it must feel amazing el7amdulellah... Welcome back and please once you get a few free minutes share with us your experience and how it went..

I'm planning to travel to Canada early July inshallah and move straight to Halifax in Nova Scotia... I got accepted for a master's degree at a university there starting September inshallah..

Best thing about studying a master's of course is that inshallah it gives you a great start to life in Canada with a solid degree to put in your CV... Also this program gives a co-op option which is like an internship at a company for 8 months again very good on the CV plus an excellent opportunity to continue working in the same place after the Master's and internship are completed

Only problem of course is that a master's degree is pretty expensive... I'm paying 17K Canadian dollars on tuition fees alone... But i hope it will be a good investment inshallah..

Best of luck to all!!

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bros, I will mention the main bullet points of my landing:

- I landed in Ottawa, I was told that it is better to make my first point of entry is Ottawa, not Toronto -as Toronto airport is so busy specially with Syrian refugees-, it was a real helpful advice.
- Landing was smooth, except when was POF, where the officer counted every pound (yes even the Egyptian money) we have. I heard that this doesn't happen, but it did for us. He was polite but so slow. I had cash with me.
- I spent around 6 days, focusing on the main things I need to do.
- I took pictures at COSCO, in case the ask for new photos (which they did for me and my wife later after we left Canada) we sent it, but till now we haven't received our PR cards!!!!, the officer told me you may need to send us new photos!!!
- I did the G1 test, I only used one application, a very good android application called "Ontario G1". They hand over you a "temporary" license till they send the original one in 2 weeks.
- I tried to apply for OHIP, but they required PR card or a driving license, but I didn't have either so I couldn't.
- I opened 2 bank accounts, one HSBC, so I can transfer from Egypt, the other one is in TD.
- HSBC one, they lady there didn't want to open the account as she wanted to know where I got the money from, I told her it is my landing money, but she wanted to know where I got it from, I had to call HSBC Egypt and send her a copy of my statement proofing that the money was in my account before coming to Canada. The funny thing is when I came back to Egypt and tried to transfer between my two accounts, HSBC Egypt said (1) I can't transfer between "joint accounts" (2) if you create a new account, you have to wait for 90 days before use it to transfer money (3) you can't use the HSBC global transfer facility!, you have to do a manual transfer which will charge you around 750 LE!!! and I called the bank and visited couple of branches, each one gave me different answers!!!, very unprofessional and one major reason is, the central bank many new regulations applied to banks on foreign currency.

Will provide more details once I remember anything else. ;)

A

medwiz said:
Bro congratulations and welcome back!!

How was it please tell..

What did you use as POF upon landing? I already opened a canadian bank account and am planning to use that bank's statement as POF...

medwiz

May 25, 2014
AbdelAllah said:
Bros, I will mention the main bullet points of my landing:

- I landed in Ottawa, I was told that it is better to make my first point of entry is Ottawa, not Toronto -as Toronto airport is so busy specially with Syrian refugees-, it was a real helpful advice.
- Landing was smooth, except when was POF, where the officer counted every pound (yes even the Egyptian money) we have. I heard that this doesn't happen, but it did for us. He was polite but so slow. I had cash with me.
- I spent around 6 days, focusing on the main things I need to do.
- I took pictures at COSCO, in case the ask for new photos (which they did for me and my wife later after we left Canada) we sent it, but till now we haven't received our PR cards!!!!, the officer told me you may need to send us new photos!!!
- I did the G1 test, I only used one application, a very good android application called "Ontario G1". They hand over you a "temporary" license till they send the original one in 2 weeks.
- I tried to apply for OHIP, but they required PR card or a driving license, but I didn't have either so I couldn't.
- I opened 2 bank accounts, one HSBC, so I can transfer from Egypt, the other one is in TD.
- HSBC one, they lady there didn't want to open the account as she wanted to know where I got the money from, I told her it is my landing money, but she wanted to know where I got it from, I had to call HSBC Egypt and send her a copy of my statement proofing that the money was in my account before coming to Canada. The funny thing is when I came back to Egypt and tried to transfer between my two accounts, HSBC Egypt said (1) I can't transfer between "joint accounts" (2) if you create a new account, you have to wait for 90 days before use it to transfer money (3) you can't use the HSBC global transfer facility!, you have to do a manual transfer which will charge you around 750 LE!!! and I called the bank and visited couple of branches, each one gave me different answers!!!, very unprofessional and one major reason is, the central bank many new regulations applied to banks on foreign currency.

Will provide more details once I remember anything else. ;)

A
Thank you AbdelAllah very interesting and detailed information to help all of us as usual... I just have a few questions if u can clarify

- u mentioned they counted your cash? Was that at immigration when they ask for POF? Or in customs after u collect your baggage since you are carrying more than 10K u need to declare hence they counted?
- you took your entire POF in cash? In Egyptian pounds? Bit risky to carry all this cash with you I think...
-This photo thing I heard of as they have changed the format of the PR card starting Jan this year so the photos we previously sent during our application no longer meet thier new specifications... So i'm just going to have new pics with me... The question is did the immigration officer ask you to give him the photos right there? I heard they can photograph you in the airport is that right? Can u clarify what happened to u with regards the photos? What Is Cosco?
- HSBC is probably the worst bank in the world not just in Egypt... I opened my Canadian bank account with them only because I had no other options and I wanted to open an account there before arriving... It took a long time and thier customer service is useless... But i managed to do it in the end and transferred my funds to that account... So I'll just have my bank statement from HSBC Canada as POF... I'll also have cash too but not a big sum.. Couple of thousand dollars or something
-finally interesting point about choosing Ottawa... I'm landing in toronto and have a connecting flight to Halifax later in the day... Inshallah I'll have time at the airport to finish the landing procedure even if it's a little crowded...

Anyway welcome back bro and inshallah u'll return there soon...

medwiz

May 25, 2014
AbdelAllah said:
Bro, seems a very good plan, beginning your life in Canada with a study -any study- (Msc is great) is an advice I have seen in many occasions, good luck, and it is worth it.

Did you think of something like OSAP?
Which university did you apply for? in which area?

A
I applied for several programs.. About 7 or 8 universities and got accepted in 2: Acadia University and Saint Mary's University both in Nova Scotia..

I chose Saint Mary's as it is in Halifax itself and they offer the co-op part which gives you practical experience in a work environment as a paid internship which I really want... The other one Acadia is more research based and located in a place called Wolfville which seems like a small town about 100km from Halifax... Not convenient for me and I want to be in a major city where I can find work and make connections..

I didn't hear of OSAP... It's Ontario? I'll be in Nova Scotia anyway not Ontario... Also I think for any student assistance loans or something you need to file a tax return and you won't do that untill after ur first year in living in Canada... Not now

Guys whoever is interested more in pursuing post graduate studies in Canada please ask I can try to help... Applying for universities there is a long process too...

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
medwiz said:
Thank you AbdelAllah very interesting and detailed information to help all of us as usual... I just have a few questions if u can clarify
:)

- u mentioned they counted your cash? Was that at immigration when they ask for POF? Or in customs after u collect your baggage since you are carrying more than 10K u need to declare hence they counted?
No it was the POE officer not customs

- you took your entire POF in cash? In Egyptian pounds? Bit risky to carry all this cash with you I think...
No I took in USD, but had like 500 LE for me when I'm coming back to Egypt

-This photo thing I heard of as they have changed the format of the PR card starting Jan this year so the photos we previously sent during our application no longer meet thier new specifications... So i'm just going to have new pics with me... The question is did the immigration officer ask you to give him the photos right there? I heard they can photograph you in the airport is that right? Can u clarify what happened to u with regards the photos? What Is Cosco?
Correct about photo dimenstions, but funnt they processed my daughter's PR with the old photos, and not my and my wife's PRs. COSCO is a big shopping market which has a photo taking facility

- HSBC is probably the worst bank in the world not just in Egypt... I opened my Canadian bank account with them only because I had no other options and I wanted to open an account there before arriving... It took a long time and thier customer service is useless... But i managed to do it in the end and transferred my funds to that account... So I'll just have my bank statement from HSBC Canada as POF... I'll also have cash too but not a big sum.. Couple of thousand dollars or something
-finally interesting point about choosing Ottawa... I'm landing in toronto and have a connecting flight to Halifax later in the day... Inshallah I'll have time at the airport to finish the landing procedure even if it's a little crowded...
Can you make your first POE Halifax?

Anyway welcome back bro and inshallah u'll return there soon...

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did any ask for IELTS academic?

A

medwiz said:
I applied for several programs.. About 7 or 8 universities and got accepted in 2: Acadia University and Saint Mary's University both in Nova Scotia..

I chose Saint Mary's as it is in Halifax itself and they offer the co-op part which gives you practical experience in a work environment as a paid internship which I really want... The other one Acadia is more research based and located in a place called Wolfville which seems like a small town about 100km from Halifax... Not convenient for me and I want to be in a major city where I can find work and make connections..

I didn't hear of OSAP... It's Ontario? I'll be in Nova Scotia anyway not Ontario... Also I think for any student assistance loans or something you need to file a tax return and you won't do that untill after ur first year in living in Canada... Not now

Guys whoever is interested more in pursuing post graduate studies in Canada please ask I can try to help... Applying for universities there is a long process too...

medwiz

May 25, 2014
AbdelAllah said:
Did any ask for IELTS academic?

A
All universities did... Either IELTS Academic or Toefl... I sat the IELTS Academic... But my advice is go for toefl as the University requires the language test to be sent to them directly by the testing institution.. Toefl has an electronic system to send the results which is much quicker and easier while the IELTS results have to be sent by courier from the British Council

medwiz

May 25, 2014
This photos thing is confusing I also heard that some people got thier PR cards with the old photos no problem while others not... Even in the same family!

The reason I'm concerned about this in particular is that I need my PR card as soon as possible since I will need to show it to the university in order to prove I'm a canadian resident and hence pay the tuition fees of residents... Otherwise they consider me as an international student and I pay more.... And for some reason the University will not accept copr or the immigrant visa as proof of being a permanent resident... Only the card...

Anyway i'll just have pictures with me and try and give them to the officer at the airport see what happens...

I don't really care much about my POE to be honest... I'm taking direct flight from Cairo to Toronto... Just easier... Plus I booked the ticket before I knew I was going to Halifax...

AbdelAllah

Aug 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All the best bro.
I would suggest you go for G1 driving test to proof residency, when you pass you get a temporary paper for two weeks and get the final one after that.

A

medwiz said:
This photos thing is confusing I also heard that some people got thier PR cards with the old photos no problem while others not... Even in the same family!

The reason I'm concerned about this in particular is that I need my PR card as soon as possible since I will need to show it to the university in order to prove I'm a canadian resident and hence pay the tuition fees of residents... Otherwise they consider me as an international student and I pay more.... And for some reason the University will not accept copr or the immigrant visa as proof of being a permanent resident... Only the card...

Anyway i'll just have pictures with me and try and give them to the officer at the airport see what happens...

I don't really care much about my POE to be honest... I'm taking direct flight from Cairo to Toronto... Just easier... Plus I booked the ticket before I knew I was going to Halifax...

medwiz

May 25, 2014
AbdelAllah said:
All the best bro.
I would suggest you go for G1 driving test to proof residency, when you pass you get a temporary paper for two weeks and get the final one after that.

A
Thanks bro... Will see if I can do that