+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First landing in Canada after PR- Queries

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I got my COPR last week. I am planning to land in Toronto in mid-August from New Delhi, India. Before moving permanently to Canada, I want to visit Paris & Brussels for which I need to apply for Schengen visa. For this visa, I need to book tickets from Delhi > Paris, then Paris to Toronto. I need to show hotel bookings too. I need to declare funds too.
Would the France visa authorities have any problems in giving me a tourist visa?
When I land in Canada, will the visa officers have any problems that I am not coming from my home country?
Cannot say about France, but I think it should be ok.

It doesn't matter for Canada.

SamMaha

Sep 26, 2019
I have some friends in US and I want to stay for minimum 2 weeks before going to Canada. Can I do that?I hope, there’s no such rule that applicant should come direct from his home country only. In my case, I’m from India
Hi Gia. Were you able to do what you intended?

1. Get US tourist visa while having the COPR visa on your passport
2. Land in Canada from US and not from your home country, India

Last edited:

SamMaha

Sep 26, 2019
There is no rule about arriving in Canada from home country, can arrive from any country. How would you think someone arrives after transiting another country when there are no direct flights from home country ?

As for entering the US make sure you present proof of onward travel out of the US given assume you would be arriving in the US on a one way ticket , plus a US visa of course. The airline when checking in will probably also want this same assurance.
So, it is fine to Land in Canada from US and not from your home country, India. But what about getting US tourist visa while having the COPR visa on your passport? You can't say in DS160 that you are a resident as you don't have a PR card. Also, can't you book your return ticket from India to US and in between do the landing in Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So, it is fine to Land in Canada from US and not from your home country, India. But what about getting US tourist visa while having the COPR visa on your passport? You can't say in DS160 that you are a resident as you don't have a PR card. Also, can't you book your return ticket from India to US and in between do the landing in Canada?
There is no requirement for anyone to arrive directly from their home country when entering Canada whether that is someone arriving for a PR landing or even as a visitor, although latter needs a return ticket or ticket leaving Canada

In appying for a US visa you would still be a resident/citizen of your home country and that is the basis on how any US visa would be issued. Until someone has formally completed their PR landing a COPR is just a piece of paper and does not indicate the holder has any status in Canada.

In any case and may be wrong but a US visa issue is usually influenced more by the home country passport than residence at time of application and having PR status does not necessarily always change that.

US CBP will still expect a traveller on entry to the US to show their intention to leave the US at the end of their visit regardless their resident status.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamMaha

SamMaha

Sep 26, 2019
Thanks. And does it really need to be expressed to CBP that we might be going to Canada in between for a few days, while we are in the US?