+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First landing in Canada after PR- Queries

gopaldutt

Feb 16, 2013
I recently got my PR visa and COPR for me and my family. Like most of the folks here I do not immediately plan to move to Canada. However in order to get PR card I need to to visit. I have below queries in same regard. Any suggestions, advice, experiences will be appreciated.

1. How many days my family must be spending in Canada in my first visit. Is there any limit to it?

2. What are the usual options to collect the PR card once it is returned from CIC.

3.How to go back to Canada second time to collect PR card in case we have to go back.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1.you could land and in theory take a flight out the same day if you want but maybe not the best idea if you want to sort out your SIN and banking plus get a feel for where you might want to live when you make the move.

2.usually people have the option of having their cards sent to a friends address in Canada then the friend mails or sends by courier to you in home country.

Some other options have been discussed on this forum that I am not familiar with may or may not be suitable to CBSA if not a private address.

Worst case CBSA will simply not process your PR card application on landing and tell you to apply when you either have a residential address or in your case take up residency.

If your card is not issued on landing makes no difference to whether you are a PR or not once you complete landing you are a PR end of. The important thing is to complete your landing in the time you have.

3)without a PR card you will need to apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada

Last edited:

gopaldutt

Feb 16, 2013
1.you could land and in theory take a flight out the same day if you want but maybe not the best idea if you want to sort out your SIN and banking plus get a feel for where you might want to live when you make the move.

2.usually people have the option of having their cards sent to a friends address in Canada then the friend mails or sends by courier to you in home country.

Some other options have been discussed on this forum that I am not familiar with may or may not be suitable to CBSA if not a private address.

Worst case CBSA will simply not process your PR card application on landing and tell you to apply when you either have a residential address or in your case take up residency.

If your card is not issued on landing makes no difference to whether you are a PR or not once you complete landing you are a PR end of. The important thing is to complete your landing in the time you have.

3)without a PR card you will need to apply for a PRTD to fly back to Canada
Thanks for your reply. It indeed is helpful.
So in reference to above, I presume I should be good to visit for about a week (before COPR expiry) and "hopefully" get initial PR card related completed. Assuming if I get PR card sometime later in about a month or two, I can then go back and finish other activities.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Personally with a family in tow I would ensure I completed my landing a while before the expiry date given you can never predict anything that might happen to delay your arrival. A week is fine and you will complete your PR card applications as part of the landing process assuming you have a Canadian address for them to be mailed to.

Once you get your landing out of the way you can in theory stay away for upto 3 years before issues with the 2 out of 5 residency obligation. Although if you stay away the full 3 years you would need to stay for following 2 without leaving.

gopaldutt

Feb 16, 2013
Personally with a family in tow I would ensure I completed my landing a while before the expiry date given you can never predict anything that might happen to delay your arrival. A week is fine and you will complete your PR card applications as part of the landing process assuming you have a Canadian address for them to be mailed to.

Once you get your landing out of the way you can in theory stay away for upto 3 years before issues with the 2 out of 5 residency obligation. Although if you stay away the full 3 years you would need to stay for following 2 without leaving.
That makes perfect sense to schedule landing as much in early stages of COPR as much it can be done. I think major confusion I had now seems to be resolving. Only decision I might have to make is, if driving down is better option compared to flying in. Also I am not very sure which customs, or other forms must be filled prior to my arrival. I am aware of funds proof thing, but other than that not fully aware. I might find a checklist somewhere in these forums for first landing.

For residency obligation, yes, that requirement must be met. Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

paryant22

Mar 12, 2016
Good morning everyone.

I have 2 queries for which I want to seek clarity.

1. Place of Birth in the COPR document of my 2 months baby is blank. Other than this all other details in my baby's document are perfectly fine. Will this affect the entry of my son in Canada? Do I need to ask the Visa authorities to issue my baby a new COPR document (adding Place of Birth)?
  2. The date of expiry of our One time PR Visa is 31st July. We our flying to Canada on 12th July. My Wife and son intend to come back to India after a month on 10th Aug. If we don't get our PR cards by then will my wife and son face issues as the Visa is valid only until 31st July? I am really worried as I have already booked all the flights and after booking this second thought came in my mind.
Looking forward for your response on these 2 queries.

Thanking you in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Good morning everyone.

I have 2 queries for which I want to seek clarity.

1. Place of Birth in the COPR document of my 2 months baby is blank. Other than this all other details in my baby's document are perfectly fine. Will this affect the entry of my son in Canada? Do I need to ask the Visa authorities to issue my baby a new COPR document (adding Place of Birth)?
  2. The date of expiry of our One time PR Visa is 31st July. We our flying to Canada on 12th July. My Wife and son intend to come back to India after a month on 10th Aug. If we don't get our PR cards by then will my wife and son face issues as the Visa is valid only until 31st July? I am really worried as I have already booked all the flights and after booking this second thought came in my mind.
Looking forward for your response on these 2 queries.

Thanking you in advance.
I will answer (2) I assume you mean your COPR validity is until 31st July by which time you must enter Canada ?

It is unlikely that your PR cards will be available by August 10th so you will need to make arrangements to courier the cards to them in India when the cards turn up possibly in 6-8 weeks from landing. Once you have all landed the COPR has served its primary purpose so cannot be used to fly back to Canada , you need either PR cards or PRTDs to board a plane back to Canada.

Do not know where you are heading for but just in case assume that you will be taking out insurance to bridge any gap before any provincial plan might kick in especially making such a long trip from India with assume a 6 month old by July .

Reactions: paryant22

paryant22

Mar 12, 2016
I will answer (2) I assume you mean your COPR validity is until 31st July by which time you must enter Canada ?

It is unlikely that your PR cards will be available by August 10th so you will need to make arrangements to courier the cards to them in India when the cards turn up possibly in 6-8 weeks from landing. Once you have all landed the COPR has served its primary purpose so cannot be used to fly back to Canada , you need either PR cards or PRTDs to board a plane back to Canada.

Do not know where you are heading for but just in case assume that you will be taking out insurance to bridge any gap before any provincial plan might kick in especially making such a long trip from India with assume a 6 month old by July .
Thanks for sharing the details.

I will be staying alone in Toronto with my friends. Only my wife and son will fly back to India. I will collect the PR of my family and will courier back to India.

Yes, I have bought the insurance for all family members for the initial 3 months.

Mayur_M

Sep 2, 2017
Pune
IELTS Request
19-08-2017
Is it possible for just primary applicant to land first and get PR card and after few months wife and kid come?

Gia Sandlas

Sep 29, 2018
I have some friends in US and I want to stay for minimum 2 weeks before going to Canada. Can I do that?I hope, there’s no such rule that applicant should come direct from his home country only. In my case, I’m from India

Reactions: SamMaha

schhina

Nov 15, 2016
I have some friends in US and I want to stay for minimum 2 weeks before going to Canada. Can I do that?I hope, there’s no such rule that applicant should come direct from his home country only. In my case, I’m from India
Hi, I have the same question. did you get an answer? How did you go about it?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, I have the same question. did you get an answer? How did you go about it?
There is no rule about arriving in Canada from home country, can arrive from any country. How would you think someone arrives after transiting another country when there are no direct flights from home country ?

As for entering the US make sure you present proof of onward travel out of the US given assume you would be arriving in the US on a one way ticket , plus a US visa of course. The airline when checking in will probably also want this same assurance.

Reactions: SamMaha

schhina

Nov 15, 2016
There is no rule about arriving in Canada from home country, can arrive from any country. How would you think someone arrives after transiting another country when there are no direct flights from home country ?

As for entering the US make sure you present proof of onward travel out of the US given assume you would be arriving in the US on a one way ticket , plus a US visa of course. The airline when checking in will probably also want this same assurance.
Thanks for your response. Yes I have a US visa and plan to book my travel on the same PNR From India to US to Canada.

I have another question about how to carry my proof of funds. How old can my travel cheque be?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for your response. Yes I have a US visa and plan to book my travel on the same PNR From India to US to Canada.

I have another question about how to carry my proof of funds. How old can my travel cheque be?
You don't need to carry travel cheque for the entire settlement fund amount. Carry only about two to three thousand CAD (or whatever you feel comfortable). Keep it below 10K or otherwise you will have to report it. The rest of the proof of funds can be letter from your bank/statements etc.

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018

I got my COPR last week. I am planning to land in Toronto in mid-August from New Delhi, India. Before moving permanently to Canada, I want to visit Paris & Brussels for which I need to apply for Schengen visa. For this visa, I need to book tickets from Delhi > Paris, then Paris to Toronto. I need to show hotel bookings too. I need to declare funds too.
Would the France visa authorities have any problems in giving me a tourist visa?
When I land in Canada, will the visa officers have any problems that I am not coming from my home country?