+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fingerprint Request After Passing Citizenship Test

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Hello everyone! My wife and I took our Citizenship test on February 20th. We both passed and the interview was straightforward. The CIC agent mentioned that my wife's security hasn't cleared yet and we might get a request for fingerprints. We got the letter on the same day we passed the test. She got her fingerprints taken on the 24th of February and RCMP sent them over to CIC the following week. We called CIC to confirm if they received the fingerprints and they mentioned that it might take up to a month to show up in their system. My questions are:
1. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them? What was your experience and timeline?
2. How long does it take for CIC to actually receive the fingerprints and update it in their system?
3. Does this extra step (after we took the citizenship test) add a lot of extra time to our application processing time?
Thanks all!

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sukumaugali said:
Hello everyone! My wife and I took our Citizenship test on February 20th. We both passed and the interview was straightforward. The CIC agent mentioned that my wife's security hasn't cleared yet and we might get a request for fingerprints. We got the letter on the same day we passed the test. She got her fingerprints taken on the 24th of February and RCMP sent them over to CIC the following week. We called CIC to confirm if they received the fingerprints and they mentioned that it might take up to a month to show up in their system. My questions are:
1. Has anyone had the same thing happen to them? What was your experience and timeline?
2. How long does it take for CIC to actually receive the fingerprints and update it in their system?
3. Does this extra step (after we took the citizenship test) add a lot of extra time to our application processing time?
Thanks all!
For my case, CIC confirms the receive in a week. The delay may vary from 3 weeks to 3 months according to the updates provided by folks in this forum. I received my FP before the test invitation.

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Thanks @shyurun79. Quick question, did you call CIC and they checked your file and confirmed receipt of the fingerprints? The agent I spoke with today wasn't very helpful (or nice) and said not to check before a month to see if they received it.

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Another quick question... My local office is Ottawa, but the letter indicated to send FP results to St. Clair office. Is that normal?

The-Ottawan

Dec 3, 2016
I had the same experience with Ottawa's office.
My wife and I passed the test and were asked to send translated passport stamps at the interview. Then I received a FP request a few days later to be sent to St Clair's office.

Best of luck to all

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Thanks @TheOttawan! Did you ever confirm with CIC if they received your fingerprints? What's your timeline looking like?

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My FP report was sent on Feb 16, 1 day after I took the fingerprints. I called CIC 2 weeks later, the gentleman on the line told me he saw on the file St. Clair received it within a week. I am not sure what kind of cases got sent to St. Clair. But this office is famous for processing cases very slow. Fingers crossed.

staralihaider

VIP Member
Jun 19, 2010
Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cic received finger prints on 6 feb. Now almost more than a month and still waiting for test invite.

My office toronto St. Clair

liveIsHop

Sep 23, 2016
staralihaider said:
Cic received finger prints on 6 feb. Now almost more than a month and still waiting for test invite.

My office toronto St. Clair
wish you all the best... I know it is hard to wait for it. I will be applying soon inshaAllah and good to know such things.

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
@shyurun79 - Thanks for the info! We just called RCMP and they said that they sent the report to CIC on February 28th (wife did her prints on the 24th). I will wait another week and call to make sure they received them. Do you have any idea if this means that my whole file was moved from Ottawa to St. Clair or if St. Clair is just going to receive the report and let Ottawa know?

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sukumaugali said:
@shyurun79 - Thanks for the info! We just called RCMP and they said that they sent the report to CIC on February 28th (wife did her prints on the 24th). I will wait another week and call to make sure they received them. Do you have any idea if this means that my whole file was moved from Ottawa to St. Clair or if St. Clair is just going to receive the report and let Ottawa know?
No, it means your office is now St. Clair, not Ottawa anymore.

Sukumaugali

Star Member
Mar 7, 2017
Ugh, that's annoying. Ottawa seems to be a much faster processing office (and St. Clair sounds like a notoriously slow office). I wonder if the fact that we got the FP request AFTER our test will make a difference or not. I guess only time will tell! Thanks!

shyurun79

Sep 22, 2016
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sukumaugali said:
Ugh, that's annoying. Ottawa seems to be a much faster processing office (and St. Clair sounds like a notoriously slow office). I wonder if the fact that we got the FP request AFTER our test will make a difference or not. I guess only time will tell! Thanks!
Official saying is: there is nothing special about St. Clair but only workload balancing reason. But reality is, most of tough cases took much longer were handled by this famous office.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Sukumaugali said:
I would order an ATIP and get the file notes... I do believe it nudges the processing of the application if it is sitting on a pile.