+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2020 Spousal sponsorship Outland

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for your response, can we request for giving us more time for landing...My daughter is few months old and it bothers us when we think of her to travel in these conditions...
Wait until your app is approved then you will see valid until date for landing, if you still don't want to travel before the expiry date you do not have to. After the expiry date, when you are ready to travel you will have to notify IRCC and they will issue a travel authorization document.

Reactions: Kalsiharjot

Kalsiharjot

Star Member
Dec 30, 2016
Wait until your app is approved then you will see valid until date for landing, if you still don't want to travel before the expiry date you do not have to. After the expiry date, when you are ready to travel you will have to notify IRCC and they will issue a travel authorization document.
Thank you for the reply, honestly gives me somewhat relief after hearing that....will wait for them to approve the application first...will try to have extra time for travel...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, My Daughter is just 6 months old and m concerned about the travel. any process info in regards for visa extension is appreciated.
I wrote about my experience with this here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/copr-expired-family-class.715135/

The caveats here are very important: I have no idea whether this is a new process or not, whether they will treat all files this way, whether our circumstances were different in some important way, they could ask for new medical checks, etc. And I have seen comments from others that they have had a very hard time getting a response at all (and when I followed the original insturctions of submitting a webform I got a nonsensical response after a long delay).

So proceed at your own risk - from a pure immigration perspective it would be preferable to travel within the validity date of the visa/copr as originally issued. Of course, I also understand your concern as a parent and also the government does not want people travelling unnecessarily, so there is some reason to believe they will handle as implied by that webpage - but it may not be easy or quick in terms of getting the visa re-issued. (I think it would make a lot more sense if they just issued new visas/coprs for longer validity dates rather than adding this extra step, since they clearly do not want people to travel much right now)

A side note, as IRCC is sometimes quite specific about terminology - to outsiders this may be a visa extension, but in their terminology I believe they will call it a re-issuance or something else, not an 'extension.' To us a distinction without a difference.

shoreline86

Jan 30, 2020
Brighton, United Kingdom
-Medical at beginning: I think they do this to make things faster, and covid has screwed things up. Apart from the ~6 month delay for covid (an estimate only), ours would have been fine with closer to six months on the COPR/visa.

-I did not fully account for fact you are from a visa waiver country (i.e. only need ETA); we needed visas to travel.

-So in theory all they need to issue you is an ETA and possibly an electronic update of COPR (or they could accept the existing COPR at border). I don't know how this works. You should try a webform, and can also try your MP's office. (As it stands you could in theory travel as immediate family member, and only question is whether CBSA will accept the existing COPR...)

-It does seem that to extent possible they are just accepting previously-done medicals. Let's hope that continues.

-Unfortunately I can only make somewhat informed guesses here. They clearly do not want people to travel unnecessarily (esp from hard-hit countries). But getting comfort in advance about how it works is quite difficult with unclear processes afterwards. And actually getting someone to look at the file and figure out what is to be done is right now the hardest step (presumably esp so in UK right now).

-Obviously hard to say how will proceed but I think you have some reason to be hopeful that it will work out, even if you don't know exactly how right now.

Good luck.
Thank you @armoured your help and advice is honestely greatly appreciated.

I sent a letter to LDN IRCC - Stating due to the pandemic i am not able to travel to canada before March 11th.

I received the following back.

We have received your enquiry regarding the validity date of your confirmation of permanent residence document (COPR) and visa (if required).

Your application has been updated with notification of your possible inability to travel before the expiry of your document(s).

Please note that your document(s) will remain valid for travel up until the expiry date shown on the document(s). However, once your document(s) have expired, they will no longer be valid for travel to Canada.

After your documents have expired, and we are in a position to reissue them, we will contact you to confirm that you are ready to travel to Canada.
We will notify you at that time if you are required to submit any new information. The next steps will depend on your situation.

Please do not make travel arrangements until we have notified you that the re-assessment of your application is complete.

My GC Key and application still states approved so i am again confused on what will happen next.

Thanks

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
After your documents have expired, and we are in a position to reissue them, we will contact you to confirm that you are ready to travel to Canada. We will notify you at that time if you are required to submit any new information. The next steps will depend on your situation.

Please do not make travel arrangements until we have notified you that the re-assessment of your application is complete.

My GC Key and application still states approved so i am again confused on what will happen next.
Yes, the confusing bit is clearly that they are saying they will take the initiative later - but when?

But on the positive side, they seem to have made clear that they will reissue them - some recognition anyway, even if not quite as explicitly stated as one might like.

I am guessing that at some point in future you will have to contact them (no idea if they will do so), so I guess just keep planning.

Good luck.

Jamal A.

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hey! What is a ghost update? And I thought Beirut visa office is closed due to the lockdown, do you know if they are working from home?

Honestly I don't have an Idea if they are working. But in lebanon I think there is exemptions to go outside and work so i guess maybe some of them are working.
Ghost update means that when you login to check your application status it said application/ product updated but when you open to check what was the update it will show that nothing has changed.
Sometimes it will show after a couple of days what actually changed but in my case nothing. Some people say that it is a sign that they are working on your application. But also not everyone gets it.

Yazzo99

Dec 19, 2020
Honestly I don't have an Idea if they are working. But in lebanon I think there is exemptions to go outside and work so i guess maybe some of them are working.
Ghost update means that when you login to check your application status it said application/ product updated but when you open to check what was the update it will show that nothing has changed.
Sometimes it will show after a couple of days what actually changed but in my case nothing. Some people say that it is a sign that they are working on your application. But also not everyone gets it.
Oh okay thank you, good to know!!

Reactions: Jamal A.

cb2020

Jun 9, 2020
I need some advice please - I had me application returned to me because I didn't include my son as a dependent. He's not coming to Canada with us and he's turned 22 since my original application was submitted so my old application is now compliant. I was planning to just do a new checklist and re-send my original application. Will this be OK, or do I need to re-sign (electronic or physical depending on the form) and re-print everything?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I need some advice please - I had me application returned to me because I didn't include my son as a dependent. He's not coming to Canada with us and he's turned 22 since my original application was submitted so my old application is now compliant. I was planning to just do a new checklist and re-send my original application. Will this be OK, or do I need to re-sign (electronic or physical depending on the form) and re-print everything?
Why would you risk it not being accepted because signatures not recent? Re-execute all. Update dates and info where necessary such as travel and personal history.

Note, even where it says electronic signatures, you should also do wet signatures.