+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2018 - Citizenship Applicant

StuCan1

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
Congratulations!
Same question for you, how was your experience?
Thank you! My Oath experience was really good and it went something like this:

- I went out to Mississauga where I sat the test
- My ceremony was to begin at 12.30pm and it started on time
- I arrived at about 12.15pm and people were getting registered.
- I was asked to present my invitation and my media release form as well as hand over my PR card (I actually wish I had taken a photocopy of it before I handed it over... you never know if you will need it one day)
- I was not asked to show my CoPR, even though the invitation says you MUST bring it. So, who knows.
- There were about 125 people partaking in the ceremony and about 30 guests that were friends of people taking the Oath. Seats for those taking the ceremony were assigned (to help with handing out the certificates later)
- The Ceremony took about 1 hour with the judge saying some opening remarks then leading us through the Oath. They make it clear here that taking the oath is a legal requirement for citizenship and strongly mention that the cameras need to see your lips moving... or they will not give you the certificate and register you for another ceremony. To keep things simple, ensure you say the oath.
- As soon as the oath is done, row by row we went to the back of the room and signed two statements - one to confirm there is nothing from a legal standpoint preventing me from becoming a citizen, and the second it confirm that I actually said the words during the oath.
- Once signed we moved to receive our certificates from the presiding officer
- Once everyone got their certificate we sang the national anthem, followed by a few more remarks by the presiding officer
- Then we were able to get a few photos with the officials and went home
- We were told to wait 2 business days before applying for a passport so they can update their system

Some advice:
- Leave babies at home if possible, as it is boring for them and unsettling for the ceremony if they cry and become restless. My ceremony had quite a few very young kids and it was disruptive. They make a point about telling people to take kids out. If possible, best to have someone look after them at home as one child was very disruptive as their parent was taking the Oath...
- Learn the anthem. It will most likely be sung bi-lingually. This means that part the way through it will swap to French, so being confident in the anthem will allow you to really enjoy the moment without being self-conscious. They do provide the words, but if you are not ready for the switch to French it will knock you off your place. This happened in my ceremony when almost everyone stopped singing when it went to French...
- Enjoy it!

Nessasary

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Greetings friends. Today my husband picked up his Canadian passport. I have been on this forum seeking advice and support since 2012 when I sponsored my husband. Thank you all for your help. I have been studying in the US for the last two years, but my husband has been unable to attain a US visa to visit me; I have been travelling back and forth from New Jersey to Toronto 1-2 times a month so we can be together. Everyone has a reason for why they want to be a citizen and so it can be frustrating when the process takes so long. Allow people to vent, allow people to celebrate, allow this to be a safe space. Thanks again and good luck!

ID: Nessasary
Application type: single
Physical Presence: 1201 days
App sent: 27 January 2018
App received: 01 February 2018
AOR: 05 March 2018
IP: 24 April 2018
Test Invite: 23 January 2019
Test Date: 11 February 2019 (Scarborough)
DM: 12 February 2019
Oath Invite: 21 February 2019
Oath Date: 12 March 2019
Application Complete: 13 March 2019

Reactions: StuCan1

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
The journey ends for now..... thanks to the forum for help and insights.

Application type: Married family of 2
Physical Presence: 1266 days
App sent: 20 February 2018
App received: 23 February 2018
AOR: 27 March 2018
IP: 05 June 2018
Test Invite: 23 January 2019
Test Date: 16 February 2019 (Scarborough)
DM: 18 February 2019
Oath Invite: 26 February 2019
Oath Date: 15 March 2019 (Mississauga)
Application Complete: 16 March 2019

Please add mine:

Id: luvcan
Location Toronto
app sent feb 20
received feb 23
presence 1266 days
Family of 2

kepler

Sep 17, 2013
Finally got the invite for test and interview for March 26th. Application was received late February and was in progress since May.

Anyone know how long it takes between interview and ceremony? Immigration office is Scarborough.

Reactions: Fallen_Warrior

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Finally got the invite for test and interview for March 26th. Application was received late February and was in progress since May.

Anyone know how long it takes between interview and ceremony? Immigration office is Scarborough.
The spreadsheet should give you an idea.

wo403

Star Member
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you! My Oath experience was really good and it went something like this:

- I went out to Mississauga where I sat the test
- My ceremony was to begin at 12.30pm and it started on time
- I arrived at about 12.15pm and people were getting registered.
- I was asked to present my invitation and my media release form as well as hand over my PR card (I actually wish I had taken a photocopy of it before I handed it over... you never know if you will need it one day)
- I was not asked to show my CoPR, even though the invitation says you MUST bring it. So, who knows.
- There were about 125 people partaking in the ceremony and about 30 guests that were friends of people taking the Oath. Seats for those taking the ceremony were assigned (to help with handing out the certificates later)
- The Ceremony took about 1 hour with the judge saying some opening remarks then leading us through the Oath. They make it clear here that taking the oath is a legal requirement for citizenship and strongly mention that the cameras need to see your lips moving... or they will not give you the certificate and register you for another ceremony. To keep things simple, ensure you say the oath.
- As soon as the oath is done, row by row we went to the back of the room and signed two statements - one to confirm there is nothing from a legal standpoint preventing me from becoming a citizen, and the second it confirm that I actually said the words during the oath.
- Once signed we moved to receive our certificates from the presiding officer
- Once everyone got their certificate we sang the national anthem, followed by a few more remarks by the presiding officer
- Then we were able to get a few photos with the officials and went home
- We were told to wait 2 business days before applying for a passport so they can update their system

Some advice:
- Leave babies at home if possible, as it is boring for them and unsettling for the ceremony if they cry and become restless. My ceremony had quite a few very young kids and it was disruptive. They make a point about telling people to take kids out. If possible, best to have someone look after them at home as one child was very disruptive as their parent was taking the Oath...
- Learn the anthem. It will most likely be sung bi-lingually. This means that part the way through it will swap to French, so being confident in the anthem will allow you to really enjoy the moment without being self-conscious. They do provide the words, but if you are not ready for the switch to French it will knock you off your place. This happened in my ceremony when almost everyone stopped singing when it went to French...
- Enjoy it!
Thank you, for taking the time and sharing your experience!!

Not sure about anyone else, but I truly appreciate it!

meem

Jun 13, 2012
BRAMPTON
Category........
App. Filed.......
07 feb 2018
Doc's Request.
12 Feb 2018
AOR Received.
19 March 2018
Are you a Mississauga applicant too???

Thats my timeline:

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 1, 2018.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on March 5, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on April 24, 2018.
Hello Msajmani, I have almost same timeline as yours, did you get any update on your application? I have contacted IRCC they told me that they have transfered my file to local office. The local office will contact me if any documents needed.

meem

Jun 13, 2012
BRAMPTON
Category........
App. Filed.......
07 feb 2018
Doc's Request.
12 Feb 2018
AOR Received.
19 March 2018
Hey bud... my file (just like many others) has been sitting in a local office since last 8 months eating dust..!!!
same here! on top of that there is no way to know why...:( good luck

Last edited:

LuckyAL

Feb 9, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
27-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
15-Mar-2014
Med's Request
01-Jul-2014
Passport Req..
30-Jul-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-Sep-2014
LANDED..........
15-Mar-2015
Likewise... application received by CIC on 27th Feb 2018 and no update since. Held on to my home country passport (expiring next month) all this while hoping every week that I will get the test invite anytime now. My home country consulate keeps the original passport till the time new one is issued and that takes usually 2 months or more.
Hoping and praying that this does not take too long!

Reactions: meem

cgrewal

Mar 1, 2018
I received Invitation for Oath today. Ceremony is on April 4. Test date was Feb 4 or 6.

Applied Feb 10, 2018, In process May 2018, FP Req August 2018. Test Invite Jan 2019.

Wish all others waiting get the ordeal finished soon.

Cheers!

His Purpose

May 19, 2015
Likewise... application received by CIC on 27th Feb 2018 and no update since. Held on to my home country passport (expiring next month) all this while hoping every week that I will get the test invite anytime now. My home country consulate keeps the original passport till the time new one is issued and that takes usually 2 months or more.
Hoping and praying that this does not take too long!
Hope you get reply soon and it will

Reactions: meem

His Purpose

May 19, 2015
Got my GCMS notes just now.. Disappointing :mad:.. Nothing happened in last 14 months except, file moved from Mississauga to Scarborough last November!

Knowledge: Not Started
Residence: Not Started
Language: Not Started
Prohibition: Not Started
Criminality: Passed

Though file generated on Feb 13th and my last Due Date on file was Feb 25 :(.
Be encourAged it will work out soon

UPPI

Nov 11, 2013
Hi All,

I got "Decision Made" status today.

Application type : Single
Physical Presence : 1130 days
App sent : 01 February 2018
App received : 05 February 2018
AOR : 06 March 2018
In Process : 10 May 2018
FP Request : 20 August 2018
Test/Interview Invite : 20 February 2019
Test/Interview Date : 11 March 2019 (Mississauga)
Decision Made : 20 March 2019
Oath Invite : Waiting
Oath Date : Waiting

Kindly update the spreadsheet.

SideshowLoki

Star Member
Apr 10, 2018
London, ON
LANDED..........
11-27-2007
I am now a Canadian citizen. It's been a helluva ride. I don't think I will be coming back to this website now that it's done. It's been real, guys.