+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship for Child

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
Hi all,

I am a newbie on this forum. I have got my PR and I have completed my landing. I have a job offer in Canada. I am faced with a dilemma.

My wife is expecting a child on the 8th of August. For OHIP to kick in, i have to be here on the 1st of May (To be safe and plan for early delivery). It may be too much of a risk. Spending out of my pocket (especially in case of complications) will make the situation bad.

If I have my child in India, how long does the processing take? is the 9 month estimate on CIC website accurate? And in the meantime, can I get the child to come to Canada and live with me on a TRV while the Family Class is being processed? I would hate to miss those first precious months..

Please guide me as I am anxious :) thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Is your wife also a PR and has completed her landing?

Early delivery can possibly happen even a month or more before due date, so to really be safe you and your wife should aim to land in Canada by around early April. The sooner the better since with pregnancy you never know, and you want OHIP as soon as possible.

One of the PR parents must be living in Canada during the sponsorship of dependent child. This should take 6- 9 months. You can certainly apply for a TRV or TRP for the child, and if approved they can stay in Canada while the sponsorship is processing. I'm not sure success rate of TRV apps for your type of case.

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
thanks for your response Rob.

Yes, my wife also got the PR. I will have her complete the landing in May. (paperwork for adults is a lot more complex than a baby)

April might not work in my case as I still have a job in Singapore and I will not be coming in before May.

I will be living in Canada while i apply for the sponsorship for my child. My main concern was about the TRV for the child :) guess you have answered it

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
I do understand the situation you are in.
But in my opinion you can have the landing earlier and apply for the Health insurance.
You can apply for TRV for your kid and bring your kid to Canada. Even then, you kid will not be covered under OHIP, as they will be on visitor visa.
And if you plan to apply for PR and bring them in, that should be OK, if you are OK to wait out the time.

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
thanks for the advise immigrant7. Thing is, in the case of a complication in the pregnancy, i maybe stuck with a really really huge medical bill, it will drive me crazy. OHIP will not help me before the 3 months are over.

I can buy a private health insurance for my child when it's here for 3 months. Don't think it will cost me that much. Am i right?

My main question is this, can I bring the child in TRV and at the same time process the PR for it WHILE the child is in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
thanks for the advise immigrant7. Thing is, in the case of a complication in the pregnancy, i maybe stuck with a really really huge medical bill, it will drive me crazy. OHIP will not help me before the 3 months are over.

I can buy a private health insurance for my child when it's here for 3 months. Don't think it will cost me that much. Am i right?

My main question is this, can I bring the child in TRV and at the same time process the PR for it WHILE the child is in Canada.
No one can guarantee your child will be approved for a TRV or a TRP. Many are approved, many are refused.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
OK. I had my kid brought here on TRV (he was born outside Canada). Then I applied his sponsorship. I had my kid covered under a private insurance. But that wont cover your walk ins / Family doctor visits (Agree that wont be a huge bill, as you compare to a pregnancy delivery bill).
What could have done was to have your wife landed earlier and applied for IP. But that opportunity is gone. So, you have the option of her coming in soon or go for the TRV-PR option of your child.
And I'm not sure, if after delivery, how does it work for your wife, when she lands, and Border security ask about any dependents ?

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
OK. I had my kid brought here on TRV (he was born outside Canada). Then I applied his sponsorship. I had my kid covered under a private insurance. But that wont cover your walk ins / Family doctor visits (Agree that wont be a huge bill, as you compare to a pregnancy delivery bill).
What could have done was to have your wife landed earlier and applied for IP. But that opportunity is gone. So, you have the option of her coming in soon or go for the TRV-PR option of your child.
And I'm not sure, if after delivery, how does it work for your wife, when she lands, and Border security ask about any dependents ?
Yes immigrant7. That's the same thing I have in mind. A couple of hundred $ for walk ins should be quite alright.

The chance of her coming in soon i'm not comfortable with either. In case of any complications in pregnancy (not just childbirth), it might be bad too. The TRV-PR option seems to be the best one to work for now.

Tell me if this sequence of action is right:

1. Wife comes in now for a short visit so that her PR does not lapse, then she returns to India for childbirth
2. Child is born
3. Get the passport for the baby and apply for a TRV/TRP
4. Bring the kid in on the temporary visa.
5. Apply for PR AFTER the kid is in Canada and wait for it..

Were points 2/3/4/5 similar to what you did?

If you could share how you did it, that'd be of great help to me :) thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
1. Wife comes in now for a short visit so that her PR does not lapse, then she returns to India for childbirth
2. Child is born
3. Get the passport for the baby and apply for a TRV/TRP
4. Bring the kid in on the temporary visa.
5. Apply for PR AFTER the kid is in Canada and wait for it..
You can submit the PR sponsorship app for the child while they are still in India to get the process going, as long as you are in Canada as the sponsor. Don't need to wait until they are actually in Canada.

Of course there is no guarantee the TRV/TRP will be granted, you'll have to submit and app and see what happens.

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
You can submit the PR sponsorship app for the child while they are still in India to get the process going, as long as you are in Canada as the sponsor. Don't need to wait until they are actually in Canada.

Of course there is no guarantee the TRV/TRP will be granted, you'll have to submit and app and see what happens.
Thank you Rob. While applying for TRV, if there is a pending PR application for the child, will that automatically result in a TRV rejection? Am asking since TRV's condition lists intent to leave Canada as one factor.

This is why i wanted to know if i apply TRV first, get the child here, then apply for PR once child is in Canada.

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
Hi Rahul,
With the precondition/disclaimer, "Every case is different and may have varied outcome"....
My situation was almost similar.
1. Wife was already a PR / landed.
2. Child is born outside Canada
3. Get the passport for the baby.
4. I traveled to Canada.
5. Applied for a TRV/TRP
6. Bring the kid in on the temporary visa.
7. Apply for PR AFTER the kid is in Canada and wait for it.

Now, I did this way, as I thought I would gather some days logged on my residency status and some bank balance, and then apply. But I heard that might not be necessary.

I had a long term job assignment and the TRV was applied by my company's representative. And in the explanation letter of the application (like a cover letter), i remember, I did mention that my intention is to apply for his sponsorship at the earliest and the TRV is to bring the kid to stay with the family together.

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
Hi Rahul,
With the precondition/disclaimer, "Every case is different and may have varied outcome"....
4. I traveled to Canada.
5. Applied for a TRV/TRP

Now, I did this way, as I thought I would gather some days logged on my residency status and some bank balance, and then apply. But I heard that might not be necessary.

I had a long term job assignment and the TRV was applied by my company's representative. And in the explanation letter of the application (like a cover letter), i remember, I did mention that my intention is to apply for his sponsorship at the earliest and the TRV is to bring the kid to stay with the family together.
Thanks a lot my friend. You have been of great help. Hopefully, my case has a similar result :)

rahulbharath

Mar 16, 2018
Hi Rahul,
4. I traveled to Canada.
5. Applied for a TRV/TRP

One last clarification. Once the kid gets the PR approved, does it have to do a "Landing"? Since the PR will be approved while it is INSIDE Canada, does it have to exit Canada and re-enter again?

immigrant7

Aug 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-MAY-2012
AOR Received.
27-AUG-2012
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
27-AUG-2012
Med's Request
29-OCT-2012
Med's Done....
05-NOV-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-SEP-2013
VISA ISSUED...
10-OCT-2013
LANDED..........
19-OCT-2013
One last clarification. Once the kid gets the PR approved, does it have to do a "Landing"? Since the PR will be approved while it is INSIDE Canada, does it have to exit Canada and re-enter again?
Yes ofcourse. Landing process has to be done to confirm the "Date of PR status starting".
This could be done inland and in the border.
Border :
1. Either go out of Canada and come back by Air/Land/Sea.
2. Flagpoling at Borders..

Inland :
1. After you get the COPR, call CIC and ask for an inland landing appointment. They will try booking an appointment at the nearest IRCC office of your loaction. You can go in there and do the "landing".
2. Telephonic Landing (Pilot Program) : IRCC selects some of the candidates and call them on phone to verify details and completes the landing.