Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Congrats to all those who got PPR the past week !

I just mailed in my Passport & Photos, after VO change to NY, USA. Hopefully it all goes smooth through this last step. :)

Dedicated

Aug 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frolic999 said:
Is there any other way to go about it? Any suggestion/advice is welcome?
If I were you I would go with exactly the same explanation that you have already provided in your post.
Just explain that you took it out of precaution and that you are not dependent on that drug which you can easily cease taking.

How did they even find out that you were on PrEP?

frolic999

Nov 22, 2015
Dedicated said:
If I were you I would go with exactly the same explanation that you have already provided in your post.
Just explain that you took it out of precaution and that you are not dependent on that drug which you can easily cease taking.

How did they even find out that you were on PrEP?
I mentioned it during my medical examination.

Reactions: Sukh005

Itsmee

Sep 28, 2015
See a lawyer....

frolic999 said:
Hello there,

Today, I received a request for information from CIC. I am currently taking a medication which prevents HIV. It is also known as PrEP.

While, I do not have HIV, I have been taking this medication simply as a precaution.

Here's an excerpt from CIC's letter:

The expected cost for health related services for this applicant is approximately $12,000 per year.
This amount exceeds the average per capita threshold of $6,655.00 annually. A detailed list of
services required, cost implications as well as sources used to determine these costs are included
in Appendix I.
Based upon my review of the results of this applicant’s immigration medical examination and all
the reports I have received with respect to the applicant’s health condition, I conclude that this
applicant is inadmissible under Section 38(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
which states that “A foreign national is inadmissible on health grounds if their health condition
might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services.”
Senior Medical Officer - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Appendix I: Expected Costs of Services
Medication(s)
Details of Services: Truvada one tablet per day
$ 12,000 per year

Date Accessed: February 10, 2017
TOTAL COST OF ALL LISTED SERVICES: $12,000 per year

Before I make a final decision, you have the opportunity to submit additional information that addresses
any or all of the following:
 the medical condition(s) identified;
 medication(s) required in Canada for the period indicated above; and
 your individualized plan, including financial arrangements as applicable, to ensure that no
excessive demand will be imposed on Canadian social services for the entire period indicated
above and your signed Declaration of Ability and Intent. The expected cost for health related
services detailed above represents the publicly funded cost or subsidy provided by your
province of destination. Therefore, your individualized plan, should include your ability to
cover the total, non-subsidized cost of your specific treatment. Please include documentation
to substantiate your projected total non-subsidized medication costs.
You must provide any additional information by April 13, 2017. If you choose not to respond, I will
make my decision based on the information before me, which may result in your application being
refused.

In order to demonstrate that you will not place an excessive demand on health or social services if
permitted to immigrate to Canada, you must establish to the satisfaction of the assessing officer that you
have a reasonable and workable plan, along with the financial means and intent to implement this plan, in
order to offset the excessive demand that you would otherwise impose on health or social services, after
immigrating to Canada.

I would like to write to CIC and explain them that I'm not depended on this medication and would rather stop taking it, than being considered inadmissible. Since this medication is being full covered by my insurance, I requested my doctor to prescribe it to me.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to prove my financial ability for my medical costs for 5 years.

Thank you.

patricia.g

Dec 13, 2016
Passport update...

Got my passports back today with the PR visa, they were delivered to Ottawa on February 1st, so the whole process took almost two weeks.

We'll probably do the landing after the long weekend.

Cheers!

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
frolic999 said:
Hello there,

Today, I received a request for information from CIC. I am currently taking a medication which prevents HIV. It is also known as PrEP.

While, I do not have HIV, I have been taking this medication simply as a precaution.

Here's an excerpt from CIC's letter:

The expected cost for health related services for this applicant is approximately $12,000 per year.
This amount exceeds the average per capita threshold of $6,655.00 annually. A detailed list of
services required, cost implications as well as sources used to determine these costs are included
in Appendix I.
Based upon my review of the results of this applicant’s immigration medical examination and all
the reports I have received with respect to the applicant’s health condition, I conclude that this
applicant is inadmissible under Section 38(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
which states that “A foreign national is inadmissible on health grounds if their health condition
might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services.”
Senior Medical Officer - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Appendix I: Expected Costs of Services
Medication(s)
Details of Services: Truvada one tablet per day
$ 12,000 per year

Date Accessed: February 10, 2017
TOTAL COST OF ALL LISTED SERVICES: $12,000 per year

Before I make a final decision, you have the opportunity to submit additional information that addresses
any or all of the following:
 the medical condition(s) identified;
 medication(s) required in Canada for the period indicated above; and
 your individualized plan, including financial arrangements as applicable, to ensure that no
excessive demand will be imposed on Canadian social services for the entire period indicated
above and your signed Declaration of Ability and Intent. The expected cost for health related
services detailed above represents the publicly funded cost or subsidy provided by your
province of destination. Therefore, your individualized plan, should include your ability to
cover the total, non-subsidized cost of your specific treatment. Please include documentation
to substantiate your projected total non-subsidized medication costs.
You must provide any additional information by April 13, 2017. If you choose not to respond, I will
make my decision based on the information before me, which may result in your application being
refused.

In order to demonstrate that you will not place an excessive demand on health or social services if
permitted to immigrate to Canada, you must establish to the satisfaction of the assessing officer that you
have a reasonable and workable plan, along with the financial means and intent to implement this plan, in
order to offset the excessive demand that you would otherwise impose on health or social services, after
immigrating to Canada.

I would like to write to CIC and explain them that I'm not depended on this medication and would rather stop taking it, than being considered inadmissible. Since this medication is being full covered by my insurance, I requested my doctor to prescribe it to me.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to prove my financial ability for my medical costs for 5 years.

Thank you.
You have a complex situation a head of you... Your decision to take an expensive drug that has been known to have nasty side effects and is only recommended for high risk patients has probably got your medical officer quite suspicious. There are a few things I think you need to address if you chose to reply yourself:
1) PrEP can delay HIV+ results by up to 6 months, so you'll probably need to be retested
2) Given the potential side effects it's only recommended for high risk patients, so you'll need to explain your high risk situation in a convincing way... Think of it like this, why do you currently take it and what makes Canada much less risky that you will no longer need to take it?

Itsmee said:
See a lawyer....

This is good advice... You're in a complex situation and I've not seen any medical situation discussed in detail in the forums. So seeking professional help for this is probably recommended.

rd160309

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-11-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017 and 17-01-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-11-2016
IELTS Request
CELPIP req on 15-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
17-01-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
6-03-2017
LANDED..........
15-03-2017
Congratulations to all fellow PR seekers who got the PPR.

I received the GCMS notes today and the last two pages state eligibility and criminality passed.

abhowmik

Feb 25, 2016
Rob2K said:
Your notes seems fine, however it would be good if you could share us the info under "Assessment" and the "Admissibility".
I have found the details. All information about my spouse is suppressed in GCMS Notes.

Assessments:
Eligibility: Not Started
Security: Not Started
HIRV:
Criminality: Passed
Medical: Passed
Misrepresentation:
Other Reqs:
Final:

Admissibility:
Applicant: Me
Type: Security

Criminality:
Applicant: Me
Type: Criminality

NAFTAman

Sep 24, 2016
sodapop123 said:
Congrats to all those who got PPR the past week !

I just mailed in my Passport & Photos, after VO change to NY, USA. Hopefully it all goes smooth through this last step. :)
Hi,

Any reason you changed VO from Ottawa to NY, USA ? I was under the impression they don't process PR visas in NY consulate.

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
NAFTAman said:
Hi,

Any reason you changed VO from Ottawa to NY, USA ? I was under the impression they don't process PR visas in NY consulate.
That's because i have an indian passport and i cannot mail it across international borders (has to be in the country i am in at this time). If this is the case, the process is to send an email to CPC-Ottawa/Raise a CSE to them indicating the same and requesting a VO within your country of residence to be assigned to you. In my case they updated my CIC acct. with a new PPR letter asking me to send my passport to NY - Visa Application Centre.

Tala_08

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pori said:
God really do wonders in the most unexpected moments.

I've just received the golden email for PPR.

A wonderful blessing indeed!
Congratulations, kababayan! Cheers!

frolic999

Nov 22, 2015
g126 said:
You have a complex situation a head of you... Your decision to take an expensive drug that has been known to have nasty side effects and is only recommended for high risk patients has probably got your medical officer quite suspicious. There are a few things I think you need to address if you chose to reply yourself:
1) PrEP can delay HIV+ results by up to 6 months, so you'll probably need to be retested
2) Given the potential side effects it's only recommended for high risk patients, so you'll need to explain your high risk situation in a convincing way... Think of it like this, why do you currently take it and what makes Canada much less risky that you will no longer need to take it?

This is good advice... You're in a complex situation and I've not seen any medical situation discussed in detail in the forums. So seeking professional help for this is probably recommended.

Thank you both for your advice. The only valid reason I currently have which can perhaps ensure that I will not take this medication any more, since I'm in a relationship. However, I do not have anything to back my relationship with my partner, such as a marriage or a domestic partnership certificate.

I can also perhaps try and get a letter from my physician stating that the medicine was simply prescribed on my request. Being at risk is debatable, since there are many people who don't get tested and have no clue of their status. This will entirely depend on whether the medical officer will consider me risky or not.

Any suggestions on lawyers? how can we negotiate the fees with them?

Tala_08

Jan 7, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sarah87 said:
Please, can you tell us if "the golden email" was sent directly to the email address, or through My CIC? I'm just tired of checking MyCIC account a hundred times a day ???
Mine was sent directly to my email add. The only time MyCIC was updated was when they approved and closed my case (which happened a week after).