+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm not so sure about this point. So, when we did our soft landing and returning back to the U.S. via Detroit tunnel, the officer asked me if I exported the car and I said not yet, will do a little later in coming weeks. He said he need to check if the car has been exported though he can clearly see it still has U.S. plates. He radio'ed someone and after confirmation that I didn't export, he let us enter the U.S. Not sure what would have happened if I exported the car and tried to bring it back to U.S. without registering in Canada.

So, do more research if you are planning on bringing the car back before registering in Canada.
Agree. Most probably car exported out of USA cannot be driven in USA with US no. plate and insurance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I'm not so sure about this point. So, when we did our soft landing and returning back to the U.S. via Detroit tunnel, the officer asked me if I exported the car and I said not yet, will do a little later in coming weeks. He said he need to check if the car has been exported though he can clearly see it still has U.S. plates. He radio'ed someone and after confirmation that I didn't export, he let us enter the U.S. Not sure what would have happened if I exported the car and tried to bring it back to U.S. without registering in Canada.

So, do more research if you are planning on bringing the car back before registering in Canada.
Yes, definitely. So far last week and this week visited Windsor via Detroit tunnel 5 times back and forth ( from US to CAN and back to home to US) with my US plated car and with my 2 passports. Always the same questions - where do you live, how long is you going to be or being in Canada and if you have something to declare. Ones Canadian officer wanted to see my US passport as well.It all based on residency.

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
You have not settled down in Canada yet and were visiting Canada only for short trips so you are entitled to move your goods to Canada duty free. However, since so much time has lapsed since your soft landing and you have made several trips to Canada after that, you might need to prove it to CBSA that this is the first time you are "actually" moving to Canada to establish a residence for more than 12 months ( hence a first time settler). If I was in your situation then I would:

1. Take Print out of following web page with point 9 and 10 highlighted with a marker
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

2. Drop an email to CBSA at contact@cbsa.gc.ca explaining your situation. They might revert back with a generic reply but still take print out of reply from CBSA. This will indicate CBSA agents at POE that you have done proper research on this.

If some ignorant CBSA agent troubles you then please let them politely know that you would like to talk to their supervisor.

On a side note, aren't you suppose to own stuff for at least 6 months to claim duty free movement? Not sure if it's for first time settler or returning residents or both but you might want to check on this. CBSA "might" create trouble for big ticket items like Car.

Thanks a lot @APPNOV2014NY. This was really helpful. I emailed CBSA and also talked to CBSA customer service. Looks like I should be considered as a Settler.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
I have a Nissan Maxima, I got my DRLs done at Canadian Tire to avoid being ripped off by a garage. I think it cost me CAD240.
Do we need to make any other changes apart from Daylight Running Lamps (DRL)? Like "Metric speedometer", "Odometer labels" etc.
How much was the total cost to make all the changes? was it CAD240 or more?

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Do we need to make any other changes apart from Daylight Running Lamps (DRL)? Like "Metric speedometer", "Odometer labels" etc.
How much was the total cost to make all the changes? was it CAD240 or more?

That's the only change my car needed, it was a bit less that 240, like 237CAD.

Reactions: aj355

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
That's the only change my car needed, it was a bit less that 240, like 237CAD.
@Mthornt Did your car already had Metric speedometer, or is it not mandatory to change the speedometer from miles to km?
Speedometer on US cars shows both miles and km, but the primary one is in miles, I heard that the primary speedometer needs to be in km, in order to register the car in Canada. Is that correct?

I have Nissan Altima, so I am assuming changes required on my car would be similar.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
@Mthornt Did your car already had Metric speedometer, or is it not mandatory to change the speedometer from miles to km?
Speedometer on US cars shows both miles and km, but the primary one is in miles, I heard that the primary speedometer needs to be in km, in order to register the car in Canada. Is that correct?

I have Nissan Altima, so I am assuming changes required on my car would be similar.

My car isn't yet registered, just imported so far. I've been told that since my speedometer shows both, that no change needs to be made to it. I imagine that even if that needs to be changed, it would be pretty minor and inexpensive.

vins1

May 26, 2009

You do NOT have to change the speedometer as long as it shows both miles and kms, even though the miles are the primary display unit.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You do NOT have to change the speedometer as long as it shows both miles and kms, even though the miles are the primary display unit.
How about Mercedes GLK (made in Bremen for USA) - the main speedometer scale is in mph, but central digital display can be switched from mph to kmh back and forth?

vins1

May 26, 2009
Hello - Thank you for your response. Any recommendations regarding Insurance company? I always had AAA auto insurance in the U.S but they didn't come through in giving me a proper Insurance letter of experience in the format CAA Insurance agent wanted. Is kanetix.ca the best place to shop for insurance? any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Yes you follow the same steps listed, exchange drivers license (which requires Canadian address proof and US driving history), get insurance and then register.
You can check kanetix for auto insurance quotes. For daily commuters from Canada to US, please verify your auto insurance covers US travel for work purposes.

vins1

May 26, 2009
How about Mercedes GLK (made in Bremen for USA) - the main speedometer scale is in mph, but central digital display can be switched from mph to kmh back and forth?
I am not sure about that, but I would think it should be ok since you will be able to see the digital speed in KMS.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Thanks a lot @APPNOV2014NY. This was really helpful. I emailed CBSA and also talked to CBSA customer service. Looks like I should be considered as a Settler.
I can confirm this is the case with me too. I visited Canada for a day or two a few times after becoming PR but in my most recent trip I was able to submit my goods to follow list for the first time.

Just go with all the facts that @APPNOV2014NY has pointed out. Thanks @APPNOV2014NY

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Hi, I'm moving to Canada on a weekend (Detroit-Windsor) and assuming I can't export a car on the weekend (is this correct?), is it possible to quickly bring it to the U.S. from Canada on a weekday just for exporting? Is there a rule that that car has to be in the U.S. at least for 72 hours?
Anyone did something similar? @APPNOV2014NY or someone?

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
Hi, I'm moving to Canada on a weekend (Detroit-Windsor) and assuming I can't export a car on the weekend (is this correct?), is it possible to quickly bring it to the U.S. from Canada on a weekday just for exporting? Is there a rule that that car has to be in the U.S. at least for 72 hours?
Anyone did something similar? @APPNOV2014NY or someone?
To export your car from the US to Canada your car must remain in the US for 72 hours prior to export. Call the border to ask if there's restrictions on exporting a vehicle. Each border is different.

fbm110

Jun 9, 2017
To export your car from the US to Canada your car must remain in the US for 72 hours prior to export. Call the border to ask if there's restrictions on exporting a vehicle. Each border is different.
I called the detroit border for a similar situation and he said you can bring the car from Canada, and just turn around and export/import and go back to canada. Nothing about car needing to be in the US for 72 hours, just the paperwork needs to be emailed/faxed 72 hours prior.

Im still confused about that though because everywhere i read, it says otherwise.