+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

aj355

Star Member
Oct 25, 2014
Canadian Tire is the place you never take your car to.
@EmmEmm Any suggestion where to take my car for modifications (and inspections) near Vancouver/Richmond/Surrey?

I called a local Canadian Tire and they told me that they will do two inspections: one out of province ($147) and one federal ($5/tire). Does that seems correct?

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Has anyone actually used the ACE/AESDirect system? It's not allowing me to register as an individual. They want only traders/exporters to register. How do I get the ITN number without going through paying an exporter?

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
@EmmEmm Any suggestion where to take my car for modifications (and inspections) near Vancouver/Richmond/Surrey?

I called a local Canadian Tire and they told me that they will do two inspections: one out of province ($147) and one federal ($5/tire). Does that seems correct?
if you have the RIV form, the inspections should be free. Atleast in Ontario. Best thing is to call RIV and ask them.

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
Reactions: Mort Sinclair

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
On the RIV website what does one fill under foreign vendor information ?
I think I entered the vendor name from where I got my AES but the best thing is to check with RIV.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Whatever you do, don't use a Po Box on any US Customs or Census forms, was told it could be up to a $15K fine or some such draconian amount. Use a physical address.

Last edited:

dorian1

Sep 26, 2016
New to this forum (and have some caching up to do).

Is there any company that offers one stop shop that would include all the requirements (including customs procedures, transport usa-canada, all the paper work for having the car registered in Canada?)

My sister in law plans to gift her used car to us but I don't hold a us visa. Can I arrange to have all the procedures done by one agency?

I am not familiar with Canadian procedures so I am looking for a company that could cover as much ground as possible (even registering the car in my name if possible). Am I dreaming or is this feasible?

Cheers.

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
That 72 hour requirement caused me a lot of stress. I'll tell you everything I took into account.
First, theres the website (https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/export-docs/motor-vehicle) which says:

Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.

The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
  1. The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.
This seems cut and dry, documentation must be submitted 72 hours before and vehicle must be present at crossing. I planned around this and submitted my documents 72 hours ahead. When I submitted the documentation by email, I received a reply which contained the following:

Remember, the vehicle must remain in the United States until you have completed the export process. If it is discovered that the vehicle was taken to Canada prior to completing the export process, the exporter is subject to penalty and monetary fines, as well as seizure of the vehicle.
On one hand I though, whats the point of doing anything? The vehicle is already in Canada, I'm already breaking of their rules, but, just because you're breaking the rules doesn't mean you should flaunt them. I was frightened into driving my vehicle down to the US. I drove my vehicle down and left it before coming back for it 3 days later. I had it in the US for about 60 hours. I figured, if they ask, I want to be able to answer that I made a good faith effort to obey their rules.

What happened in the end? NOTHING! Nobody ever even asked how long it had been in the US or if it had been in Canada at all. It was smooth sailing at the border.

To answer your questions:
  • Did I cross back and stay before my crossing? Sorta, I crossed back, for 60 hours.
  • What did I say at the border? "I live there." They never asked, and I strongly doubt they will ask. You're a US citizen driving your US licensed vehicle into the US, you and one thousand more today. If your conversation goes like mine has gone many times: "What were you doing in Canada?" - "I live there" - "Have a nice day"
  • What did I say about my vehicle? Nada, you WILL NOT be grilled at the border, again, US citizen entering the US. The default is entry, not denial. They aren't worried about you over staying your visa or moving in, the US is still your country.
  • How would they know your vehicle has been in the US for 72 hours? First, they'll ask you. Answer how you please. Just know that they DEFINITELY have a database of border crossing and license plates. Whether or not they consult is a matter of how bored or busy they are, or if they even care. If they want to know when your vehicle crossed the border, they have the information in the computer.

In summary, I was going to just cross immediately before exporting until I received their reply. Maybe you play it by ear. When you submit your documents, if you don't hear you need have your vehicle across the border, don't. I found their reply very motivating. Or you could call them and see what they want :)

Good luck
Being a US citizen, are you allowed to drive your US-titled/plated car in Canada w/o 'importing' it on BSF186?
Could you just put your car on 'Goods to Follow' and drive your car around on US plates as a Resident?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Being a US citizen, are you allowed to drive your US-titled/plated car in Canada w/o 'importing' it on BSF186?
Could you just put your car on 'Goods to Follow' and drive your car around on US plates as a Resident?
US citizens with visitor status can drive US plated cars in Canada.
As a rule people with PR status in Canada ( US citizens or otherwise) need to import car. CBSA agents are 50-50 on enforcing this. Few agents allow PRs to drive US plated cars in Canada if you mention that you will be returning to US in few days while others insist on importing.

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
New to this forum (and have some caching up to do).

Is there any company that offers one stop shop that would include all the requirements (including customs procedures, transport usa-canada, all the paper work for having the car registered in Canada?)

My sister in law plans to gift her used car to us but I don't hold a us visa. Can I arrange to have all the procedures done by one agency?

I am not familiar with Canadian procedures so I am looking for a company that could cover as much ground as possible (even registering the car in my name if possible). Am I dreaming or is this feasible?

Cheers.
I found one thru online searches: USCanadaAutoTransport.com
NOTE: I haven't used them, neither can vouch for them. They were nice on the phone though

Reactions: dorian1

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
US citizens with visitor status can drive US plated cars in Canada.
As a rule people with PR status in Canada ( US citizens or otherwise) need to import car. CBSA agents are 50-50 on enforcing this. Few agents allow PRs to drive US plated cars in Canada if you mention that you will be returning to US in few days while others insist on importing.
That's the impression I got too. I'd rather not risk showing up there and finding an unsympathetic CBSA agent -- EVEN though I mentioned that I'll be there for <36 hr.
BTW according to CBSA did you know that there's a fine if you drive into Canada for less than 48 hr?

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
That's the impression I got too. I'd rather not risk showing up there and finding an unsympathetic CBSA agent -- EVEN though I mentioned that I'll be there for <36 hr.
BTW according to CBSA did you know that there's a fine if you drive into Canada for less than 48 hr?
Well, I am dual citizen and my residence is in US, but we bought a house in Canada and my spouse is about to become PR next week. So far when I cross the border on US plated car I tell CBSA that I am going to my "vacation" home for one, two, three days, whatever. That's it, no more questions. On the way back, the same answer to CBP - going home from "vacation" home. I think the fun starts when we export/import one of our cars and I'll drive Canadian plated car to US and back to Canada.

bobARC

Aug 8, 2018
Please elaborate on this statement.
According to the CBSA agent I spoke briefly on the phone, if you are a Canadian resident, AND drive a US plated car across the border into Canada, you will be fined if you cross the border back into the US in less than 48 hr.
I can't find any such guidelines on the CBSA or TC websites but I presume CBSA agents are the ones enforcing this law. Reading thru this forum, doesnt look like someone else faced fines emanating from this '<48 hr' clause.