+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Baffled, May 21, 2016.

  1. That was actually a form I had to fill out after getting the ITN.
  2. Can anyone who's imported a car into BC share your experience with the BC safety inspection (not the RIV one)? Thanks.
  3. Does anyone have any first-hand experience who can answer this? If you drive the car that you want to import from the US to Canada to the border, does US Customs or CBSA take your US plates away or will you be allowed to drive the vehicle into Canada and around while you are getting the RIV inspection and Ontario plates, etc? I'm just wondering if this will be possible or if I will have to rent a truck and car dolly to bring the vehicle in. Thanks!
  4. That wasn't my experience at all. I'm not sure where you read that they take your plates away or that you won't be allowed to drive over the border? I've never seen anything speaking to that. Just make sure you remain insured with your U.S. insurer until you've finished importing and registering your car.
  5. Yes. You are allowed to drive your "imported" car into Canada with US plates until it's registered in Canada.
    No. CBSA won't take away your plates. Once your Car is registered in Canada and you have Canadian plates you might need to "mail" those USA plates to your US state's DMV where car was previously registered.
    kwyatt75 likes this.
  6. Hi! Thanks for all the great info, I have a question that isn't quite answered here (that I've seen) - if I am on a 3 year work permit, supposedly I am exempt from RIV. However, Quebec is requiring that I register the car. Does that mean I will have to do the full Export from US and Import to Canada process anyway? Or does the RIV exemption skip part of this process for me? It's a big hassle (and cost), especially to do it again in 3 years, possibly. I can't find any direct info on this, thanks very much for any help!

    (I've also created a separate post with full details in case that's better: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/if-i-am-exempt-from-riv-36-month-visa-do-i-need-to-export-my-vehicle-from-the-us.591490/)
  7. Thank you so much for your reply! That is very helpful and relieves some of my anxiety about the process. Cheers!
  8. How did you get a driver license before all of those? Did you go to canada and get driver license done then went back to usa to bring your car?
    Did u retake driving test or you can exchange it
  9. There are different rules depending on the state you're coming from and the province you're going to live in. Many have exchange options, but you normally would do this after you land, as sometimes they are required to keep you US license and return it to the state of issue.
  10. Thank you so much for replying!
    Can i ask you one more thing? How about insurance? I mean if im going to drive and take my car how can i get insurance. Im currently have allstate but will Allstate cover my car while im drive to canada and when i get to canada i can start change to candian insurance??
  11. If you are visitor to Canada you can request from your US insurance company a Canadian Non‐Resident Inter‐Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card, which is going to be your proof of insurance in Canada. That's what I get from my Progressive insurance.
    You can start shopping for Canadian Car Insurance after you get your Canadian DL.
  12. Im moving there permanently. Can i do the same as visitor?
  13. #223 Alex54321, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    No, it works for me since I am dual citizen and still US resident with family in Canada.
    The rules in each province are different, but in Ontario when you've become a resident you have 2 or 3 months ( more like 2) to exchange your US DL to Ontario DL. Also if you are Canadian resident you WILL have a problem with Allstate coverage in case of accident.
  14. Do you know how i can have insurance while driving to canada? Im pretty sure i will be spending a couple days driving to canada (i live in Louisiana) so i hope to find out some info about the car insurance. Can i tell my insurance company to give me something and they can cancel my policy when i reach Canada
  15. Presumably you wouldn't cancel your policy until after arriving in Canada. Most insurance providers will cover you temporarily if you drive a US insured car into Canada. Check directly with your provider.

Share This Page