+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PGWP 18 months extension apply online detailed released (Jan 27. 2021 new)

Mario Andres

May 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

If I applied for the PGWP extension before my current PGWP expires, and then my PGWP expires while the PGWP extension is in the process, can I legally work?

Rojaj16

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Thank you very much for your reply Rojaj16!

...Got another question: Since my PGWP expires tomorrow (May 3, 2021), Can I just apply for the PGWP extension without restoring my status since I still have one day of a valid PGWP before my expiration date which is tomorrow? Or do I also have to restore my status as a visitor, or BOWP along with the PGWP?

Thank you!
Hi everyone,

If I applied for the PGWP extension before my current PGWP expires, and then my PGWP expires while the PGWP extension is in the process, can I legally work?
yes you can work as you are on implied status you will get a extension permit until your PGWP application is approved.

Samagra

Mar 29, 2021
Markham
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
05-08-2020
Med's Done....
09-12-2020
LANDED..........
30-08-2019
Hello Guys.
I finished my 8 month course with humber in april 2020
My PGWP is expiring on 11th June
I am also waiting for a verdict on my PR application(FSW-inland)
I want to apply for the extension through the new public policy
any estimates on how long it takes for confirmation?

Would it be wise to apply for extension via this new public policy or should i go for a BOWP?
Please guide

Also, what all details would I need to include in the letter of explanation?

pranzal kothari

Star Member
Apr 19, 2016
Hello friends,

I applied for the PR in FEB 2020 under express entry and waiting for the final decision.
Now my PGWP is going to be expired in JULY 2021. So, i want to apply for the extension of my work permit.

So, should I go for BOWP or new public policy?

SInce I already applied for the PR, is it compulsory to apply only under BOWP?

And is it fine to apply without experience leteer?

And what should I selcct when it asks me what you are applying in public policy? Open work permit or PGWP? I guess It's Open work permit in both cases. Am i right ?

Please guys help me out in this.

Mar 22, 2021
Hi best decision is to go for PGWP as it has 18 months nowadays PR process takes long time than expected, I submitted my PR application last week but still went for PGWP and got approval 3 days back.
oh wow, how could you get the approval for your PGWP within 3 days?
I submitted mine on 28th March and still in process. Is it normal? should I be worried then?

angelangel

Star Member
Jun 5, 2017
Just write the line they asked
a letter that says you’re applying for an open work permit under the Public Policy Facilitating the Issuance of an Open Work Permit to Former or Current Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Holderer

Also, what options you get after completing the questionnaire:

Application IMM5710

Supporting documents
Passport
Digital Photo

Optional documents:
Schedule 1 (no need to fill)
Client information( this is where we need to upload the letter)

do you see any option or section other than this?
Also, I guess we need to put our PGWP copy combined with passport in one pdf file
Hello
If a student's PGWP expired in June 2020. She applied for extension which was refused. Then applied for restoration and visitor visa within Canada which was approved. Can she now apply to extend PGWP under this policy?

pranzal kothari

Star Member
Apr 19, 2016
Hello friends, So today, i have got the one document from IRCC, which is mentioned that...

“Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number ....as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until September 10, 2021 or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.”

So anyone got this kind of message ?

and after that how long time it took to make a decision?
Please help me out in this.
Thanks

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
Hello friends,

I applied for the PR in FEB 2020 under express entry and waiting for the final decision.
Now my PGWP is going to be expired in JULY 2021. So, i want to apply for the extension of my work permit.

So, should I go for BOWP or new public policy?

SInce I already applied for the PR, is it compulsory to apply only under BOWP?

And is it fine to apply without experience leteer?

And what should I selcct when it asks me what you are applying in public policy? Open work permit or PGWP? I guess It's Open work permit in both cases. Am i right ?

Please guys help me out in this.
Don't apply for BOWP. Apply for the new public policy. It is better.

Why? BOWP is dependent on your PR and if your PR gets an issue, you wont be able to apply for the new public policy because it might already be passed the deadline date

Yes select new employer when filling in the form for the work permit. Submit a letter also that you are applying for the new public policy

Optimux

Jan 4, 2019
Santo Domingo
Hi everyone,

My wife got a PGWP on 11/2020 and I went to the border to do flagpoling in order to renew my spouse's OWP in Feb/2021. The problem is that she went to do flagpoling with me in so technically she went out of Canada even though she did not go to a different country and the Public Policy OWP states in one the requirements that:

"You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then."

We did not know about this option to get an OWP before doing that silly trip to the border. So, I would say she is not eligible for this OWP.

Having said that, she will apply anyway and include an explanation for this flagpoling thing but, given that flagpoling is a known process and in practical terms is not leaving the country although technically it is, would you say this is open to interpretation by IRCC? What would you say are her odds of getting it?

edgarodonell

Mar 10, 2021
Hi All, I got my Work permit under new public policy and applied online for a TRV visa to go with it about a month ago.
I did not yet hear from them on this front. My current TRV is going to expire in a couple of weeks.

Any idea what should i do about this ? Wonder how long has it been taking for people to get their new TRVs after applying for it once they get their work permits under this new public policy ?

Deepanshu96

Jul 20, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
App. Filed.......
04-05-2021
AOR Received.
28-06-2021
Med's Done....
27-05-2021
Hi All, I got my Work permit under new public policy and applied online for a TRV visa to go with it about a month ago.
I did not yet hear from them on this front. My current TRV is going to expire in a couple of weeks.

Any idea what should i do about this ? Wonder how long has it been taking for people to get their new TRVs after applying for it once they get their work permits under this new public policy ?
I have been waiting for more than 60 days now.
Processing time was 77 days at the time of my application. Right now it is 135 days.

• Wow
Reactions: edgarodonell