+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PGWP 18 months extension apply online detailed released (Jan 27. 2021 new)

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
My original post graduation work permit was for 3 years .
I was not affected by Covid.
No dependants. I am a single applicant
Thanks for sharing all the information. Could you please let us know when IRCC started reviewing your eligibility?

Kumar25

Jun 19, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
I'm currently in Canada under BWOP expiring in 6 months, I m planning to apply for PGWP under the public policy. Can I add my spouse ( outland applicant/ India) to the PGWP application?
Thanks.

alphatango

Jul 8, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
Hi!

Forgive me if it’s been asked before:

My work permit will expire 1st January 2022, but I meet all other criteria for this. Can I still apply
My work permit will expire 1st January 2022, but I meet all other criteria for this. Can I still apply

chetan9red

Apr 3, 2016
Congratulation! Did you have any updates in your application before getting the approval?
I applied on 15th June and nothing has changed in my profile:(
Hi I applied through a immigrant consultant so I didn't see any updates. But it took me exact 30 days for me from the day I applied to the day it got approved.

Reactions: samnas

chetan9red

Apr 3, 2016
Thanks for sharing all the information. Could you please let us know when IRCC started reviewing your eligibility?
Sorry I applied by an immigrant consultant. So I don't know when I got the updates. But it took me exact 30days to get approved.

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Sorry I applied by an immigrant consultant. So I don't know when I got the updates. But it took me exact 30days to get approved.
I haven't heard anything back from IRCC yet and my permit is expiring this week. Can you please answer one more thing to evaluate my case? I also have 3 years of PGWP and had enough work experience already in late 2019 to apply for PR under the express entry, but in my case, everything got delayed because of the English exam, which ended up applying for another permit (i,e., PGWP extension).

In your case, why did you need an extension when you already had 3 years of PGWP. Didn't you have enough work experience to apply for PR before? or is there any other reason in your case. Your answer will be really helpful. Thanks

chutkij3

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
I'm currently in Canada under BWOP expiring in 6 months, I m planning to apply for PGWP under the public policy. Can I add my spouse ( outland applicant/ India) to the PGWP application?
Thanks.
Hi did you apply for pgwp by adding your spouse? I am looking for the same information please let me know if you have applied already

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Hi did you apply for pgwp by adding your spouse? I am looking for the same information please let me know if you have applied already
Hello, I have applied for a PGWP extension adding my spouse residing in Canada, but I haven't heard anything back from IRCC yet.

Kumar25

Jun 19, 2021
[/QUOTE
I spoke with an immigration consultant , he recommended me to apply first since I am on PGWP. He said adding spouse will complicate and delay the application. He said to apply for Spouse Open WP after my application gets approved. Hope it answers your question.

Afra-Sunnix

Jul 19, 2021
Hi,

I am in a complicated situation and need your idea

I applied for my PGWP extension on March, because it was issued just for my passport expiration date and I was eligible for more. I called CIC and officer told me and sent an email regarding the documents needed. On June 15 I received a refusal letter due to missing 5710 form which they did not asked for in call/email. So my PGWP expired on May 12. Then I applied for PGWP extension under public policy + restore my status on June 23 which was online and I can track the process, but last night someone told me that I must stop working until further decision is made!!!!! And I am really hopeless now because I can apply for CEC next month and I really don't want to loose my job!!

This is my only hope as per CIC news:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/01/temporary-residents-now-have-until-summer-2021-to-restore-their-status-2-0116683.html#gs.6an6q3
"Min’s permit expired on December 30, 2020 and she fell out of status. She then submitted a restoration and work permit application within 90 days of losing her status, on March 1, 2021. As a result of the public policy, she is able to work while IRCC is processing her work permit application. "

But in CIC website it is something else!!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=186&top=17
"
My work permit has expired. Can I apply for another one?
Yes, but you can only do this if your permit expired fewer than 90 days ago. You also need to restore your temporary status in Canada.
Since you need to apply to restore your status after it has expired, you can’t work while this application is in progress.
"

Fkho

Jul 1, 2021
Hi,

I am in a complicated situation and need your idea

I applied for my PGWP extension on March, because it was issued just for my passport expiration date and I was eligible for more. I called CIC and officer told me and sent an email regarding the documents needed. On June 15 I received a refusal letter due to missing 5710 form which they did not asked for in call/email. So my PGWP expired on May 12. Then I applied for PGWP extension under public policy + restore my status on June 23 which was online and I can track the process, but last night someone told me that I must stop working until further decision is made!!!!! And I am really hopeless now because I can apply for CEC next month and I really don't want to loose my job!!

This is my only hope as per CIC news:
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/01/temporary-residents-now-have-until-summer-2021-to-restore-their-status-2-0116683.html#gs.6an6q3
"Min’s permit expired on December 30, 2020 and she fell out of status. She then submitted a restoration and work permit application within 90 days of losing her status, on March 1, 2021. As a result of the public policy, she is able to work while IRCC is processing her work permit application. "

But in CIC website it is something else!!
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=186&top=17
"
My work permit has expired. Can I apply for another one?
Yes, but you can only do this if your permit expired fewer than 90 days ago. You also need to restore your temporary status in Canada.
Since you need to apply to restore your status after it has expired, you can’t work while this application is in progress.
"
Hey! The IRCC website is correct. Im in the same situation and needed to stop working immediately. Have you heard back about your application?