+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience of Returning to US on AVR - F1 CPT

arunb420

May 18, 2020
I returned to US flying out from Toronto to Philly using AVR. I have an expired F1 visa(expired a year ago) and currently in Day 1 CPT university.

Check In:
I was flying American Airlines and they checked me in after verifying my passport and my i-20 travel signature date which is valid for one year once signed by DSO.

Security:
The usual process that you have at TSA.

US CBP:
The officer checked my visa and asked me why I did not get it renewed as it has been an year since it expired. I mentioned that I was planning to this year but could not travel due to the covid situation. He was getting a problem updating my information. The officer asked me if had proof that I was in Canada only for the last 15 days(Flight tickets/Stay etc). Before I showed them, he said it was ok and did not ask for those details later. He was still getting some issue processing my passport. So, he directed me to a separate Admissibility review area where my passport and i-20 was handed to another officer for review.

The officer who verified my i-20 and passport and started updating in his computer and asked me general questions like below
Where my university was
what was my degree
why I was heading to a different city(My university was in Detroit and I was heading to Indiana) - To this I mentioned that I was doing an internship
If I was on OPT previously - Yes
Confirmed if the I-20 I gave was the latest one
Asked me my reason for visiting Canada - Mentioned PR landing
Also asked me when my degree would be completed and if I plan to return to Canada - I mentioned to him that I plan to move out of US after completing my degree program.

Finally, they took my fingerprints and photo again as it had been a while since I exited US(back in 2015). The whole process took around 20 minutes.

And then they put an entry stamp with date and I was good to go

Note: **The officer was very casual and friendly when asking these questions. Not in a serious tone**

After boarding, I landed in the US like a domestic traveler. No more immigration checks in the US as Toronto was US Pre-Clearance airport.

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
I returned to US flying out from Toronto to Philly using AVR. I have an expired F1 visa(expired a year ago) and currently in Day 1 CPT university.

Check In:
I was flying American Airlines and they checked me in after verifying my passport and my i-20 travel signature date which is valid for one year once signed by DSO.

Security:

US CBP:
The officer checked my visa and asked me why I did not get it renewed as it has been an year since it expired. I mentioned that I was planning to this year but could not travel due to the covid situation. He was getting a problem updating my information. The officer asked me if had proof that I was in Canada only for the last 15 days(Flight tickets/Stay etc). Before I showed them, he said it was ok and did not ask for those details later. He was still getting some issue processing my passport. So, he directed me to a separate Admissibility review area where my passport and i-20 was handed to another officer for review.

The officer who verified my i-20 and passport and started updating in his computer and asked me general questions like below
Where my university was
what was my degree
why I was heading to a different city(My university was in Detroit and I was heading to Indiana) - To this I mentioned that I was doing an internship
Also asked me when my degree would be completed and if I plan to return to Canada - I mentioned to him that I plan to move out of US after completing my degree program.

Finally, they took my fingerprints and photo again as it had been a while since I exited US(back in 2015). The whole process took around 20 minutes.

Note: **The officer was very casual and friendly when asking these questions. Not in a serious tone**

After boarding, I landed in the US like a domestic traveler. No more immigration checks in the US as Toronto was US Pre-Clearance airport.
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Can you please share when did you travel to Canada? I am assuming you traveled to do soft landing. Is that correct?

Shahbaz12

Jul 24, 2019

Check In:

Security:

US CBP:

Where my university was
what was my degree

Hi Can you please let me know when did you return to USA? Was is this month in June? I am exactly in your situation, planning to travel 10th of July.

ace_pro

Aug 13, 2020
Hi Can you please let me know when did you return to USA? Was is this month in June? I am exactly in your situation, planning to travel 10th of July.
Hi ... could you please share your experience ... I’m planning to travel soon by land ...

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
Did any one complete landing requirements, in a August 2020 and returned back on the same day? If so can you share your experiences.

TIA

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016