+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Soft landing from US - After EO

swathsu

Jan 2, 2018
Hi all,

We got our Pr activated yesterday at Windsor. It was a 45 minute process from CBP-CBSA-CBP.
First check point: asked us why were entering
Me: to activate PR and turn around. (We wanted to let the first person itself to know that we wanted to turn around so that if it’s not doable, we could turn around there itself without entering Canada. We had the Quarantine act playing at the back of our minds.
FCP said “oh, I see”. Asked us for our passports and papers and to give him few minutes. He came to our car,gave us our papers back, stuck a yellow slip on the car and left passports on the front windshield. He showed us to the secondary inspection site.

There were few officers outside building and one of them asked why we were at the border.
She: why?
Me: to activate PR and turn around.
She: oh, you are not moving for good?
Me: Today, we want to turn around
She: when do you plan to settle in Canada?
Me: I am looking for opportunities and once I find a job, we will move. Hopefully sooner than later

At this point she checked the dates on our papers. We have the papers valid till December end

She: why do you want to activate today?
Me: I am not comfortable driving or flying in winter
She: okay, but you know your time starts from today itself?
Me: yes, we are okay with that
She: okay, let me get back to you.

She went in the building, came couple of times to our car to get our signatures, to complete GTF list and to ask for Canadian address for cards. The officer mentioned that the GTF list does not have a deadline and all the items listed need not come in one go. She gave our passports and signed papers back and here comes the best part.

She walked alongside our car to show us the way to go back to the US, asked us twice if we have valid US visas. She said she wanted to make sure we get back to our home in the US. Heard Canadians are polite, experienced it the first hand.

Thank you to all those people who posted about their experiences. It helped us decide to give it a try.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hi all,

We got our Pr activated yesterday at Windsor. It was a 45 minute process from CBP-CBSA-CBP.
First check point: asked us why were entering
Me: to activate PR and turn around. (We wanted to let the first person itself to know that we wanted to turn around so that if it’s not doable, we could turn around there itself without entering Canada. We had the Quarantine act playing at the back of our minds.
FCP said “oh, I see”. Asked us for our passports and papers and to give him few minutes. He came to our car,gave us our papers back, stuck a yellow slip on the car and left passports on the front windshield. He showed us to the secondary inspection site.

There were few officers outside building and one of them asked why we were at the border.
She: why?
Me: to activate PR and turn around.
She: oh, you are not moving for good?
Me: Today, we want to turn around
She: when do you plan to settle in Canada?
Me: I am looking for opportunities and once I find a job, we will move. Hopefully sooner than later

At this point she checked the dates on our papers. We have the papers valid till December end

She: why do you want to activate today?
Me: I am not comfortable driving or flying in winter
She: okay, but you know your time starts from today itself?
Me: yes, we are okay with that
She: okay, let me get back to you.

She went in the building, came couple of times to our car to get our signatures, to complete GTF list and to ask for Canadian address for cards. The officer mentioned that the GTF list does not have a deadline and all the items listed need not come in one go. She gave our passports and signed papers back and here comes the best part.

She walked alongside our car to show us the way to go back to the US, asked us twice if we have valid US visas. She said she wanted to make sure we get back to our home in the US. Heard Canadians are polite, experienced it the first hand.

Thank you to all those people who posted about their experiences. It helped us decide to give it a try.
Congrats on your smooth landing!

Venky666

Aug 20, 2020
Successful landing - ambassador bridge and return through avr on the same day ( spouse - H4 and I have expired F1)
date - aug 29-2020
1st checkpoint-
Officer- why are you landing at this time
Us- to complete PR landing formalities and COPR is expiring in a weeks time
Officer- Are you planning to live in canada
Us- We are planning to settle in the next 2-3 months
Officer- how do u plan to get your PR if you don’t have a residence
Us- we plan to send it to our friends address and collect it once we land
Officer- I don’t think you are allowed to do that
And then thinks for some time and asks us if we have goods to follow
Us- Yes , but we don’t know for sure what items will come with us and we will fill it once we land in the next 2-3 months . Routes us to second checkpoint and attaches a yellow slip on the car

2nd checkpoint- we reach a complex and car was thoroughly checked and we were directed to the immigration office

Wait in the office for about 10 mins before an officer assists us
1) officer - are you settling now
Us- no we plan to go back to USA
2) officer-when do u plan to settle ?
Us- I am still In the process of securing a transfer and will land as soon as that is complete
3) officer read out the copr declarations and my rights and asked me to sign the copr and stapled it on my passport. Didn’t ask for canadian address to ship PR cards

US side
had to wait for about 1 hr because they had some confusion with my opt. Took all ead ( opt and extension) cards along with I-797 and paper I-94. Finally they took my biometrics again (paid about $6) and then was cleared to go.

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Successful landing - ambassador bridge and return through avr on the same day ( spouse - H4 and I have expired F1)
date - aug 29-2020
1st checkpoint-
Officer- why are you landing at this time
Us- to complete PR landing formalities and COPR is expiring in a weeks time
Officer- Are you planning to live in canada
Us- We are planning to settle in the next 2-3 months
Officer- how do u plan to get your PR if you don’t have a residence
Us- we plan to send it to our friends address and collect it once we land
Officer- I don’t think you are allowed to do that
And then thinks for some time and asks us if we have goods to follow
Us- Yes , but we don’t know for sure what items will come with us and we will fill it once we land in the next 2-3 months . Routes us to second checkpoint and attaches a yellow slip on the car

2nd checkpoint- we reach a complex and car was thoroughly checked and we were directed to the immigration office

Wait in the office for about 10 mins before an officer assists us
1) officer - are you settling now
Us- no we plan to go back to USA
2) officer-when do u plan to settle ?
Us- I am still In the process of securing a transfer and will land as soon as that is complete
3) officer read out the copr declarations and my rights and asked me to sign the copr and stapled it on my passport. Didn’t ask for canadian address to ship PR cards

US side
had to wait for about 1 hr because they had some confusion with my opt. Took all ead ( opt and extension) cards along with I-797 and paper I-94. Finally they took my biometrics again (paid about $6) and then was cleared to go.
Congrats Venky.

naiyagupta

Jul 25, 2020
Hi All,

My CoPR is expiring on Sep 16, 2020. I have valid H-1b stamping but I changed employer. Basically I don’t have stamping of new employer. Will I be covered under AVR.Can I enter back USA without stamping of new employer if I showed approved I 797C of new employer?

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Hi All,

My CoPR is expiring on Sep 16, 2020. I have valid H-1b stamping but I changed employer. Basically I don’t have stamping of new employer. Will I be covered under AVR.Can I enter back USA without stamping of new employer if I showed approved I 797C of new employer?
Yes, carry all I797 with you

ca_2019

Jul 30, 2019
Hi all,

I successfully completed my soft landing at Stanstead border (VT-QC) today. Was a bit worried as nobody on this forum, or other forums on the site went to a Quebec border. But took a shot as it was the closest for me. Total process took about 30 mins from US-CA-US.

Exiting US-
Officer- why are you going to CA? Me- to finalize paperwork for CA PR.
O- so you will return today? Me- yes. I am just here to go to the CBSA office and complete the formalities.
O- what is your status in the US? Me- F1-OPT.
Showed Passport and F1 copy.
O- are you a student? Me- no, I work in Boston.
O - where do you work? Me- replied.
O- is this your car. Me- no rental.
O- you have the rental agreement? Me- it should be on my phone, yes.
O- ok just keep it handy and show ahead when they ask. And keep the passport and F1. You're good to return.
Asked some general questions about carrying firearms, drugs, anything illegal, cash etc. Then went ahead and told the officers ahead that I'm good to go.

CA border-
O- Bonjour! Me - Hello!
O - What's the purpose of your visit? Me- I am here to complete my PR process and then return back to the US.
Looked at passport for a few minutes and scanned in system.
O- When are you moving? Me- I am looking for a job currently, so hopefully soon. Would like to move before Winter starts.
Took passport and went inside. Came back after 2-3 mins.
O- ok I have a couple of questions.
Asked general COVID related, firearms, illegal stuff, plants, seeds, etc. Basically said no to everything.
O- they have your passport inside. Park ahead (pointed where) and enter the office with your documents and mask on. Someone will be with you at the counter.
Did as instructed. I was the only one at the office. Gave CoPR to officer after small talk. Gave the Personal effects form which had a CA address. O asked a few basic questions about the form, if I would bring anything else and explained duty that would be charged for items not listed. Nothing out of the ordinary. When all paperwork was done, O congratulated, said PR card would arrive at CA address provided in ~7-8 weeks; explained the PR validity, process for SIN and citizenship.

Re-entry US-
I Greeted. Gave passport and F1. Me - I just entered CA for PR formalities and now I'm returning to the US.
O Asked few basic questions about CA PR; when are you moving, what do you do in the US? More small talk like how was grad school; made a light joke about Boston. Best part - since he wasn't aware of the PR process (rightly so), asked me if I'm marrying a Canadian. Me - No. I applied a year ago and got a one time entry visa which I used today, and now my PR process is complete (Didn't want to explain more than what was asked - but in my head I gave him a list of all the stages of the PR process and sent him a link to this forum).

Thank you all for your inputs! Hope this helps someone else make the beautiful drive (fall colors ftw) up I-93 to CA.

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hi all,

I successfully completed my soft landing at Stanstead border (VT-QC) today. Was a bit worried as nobody on this forum, or other forums on the site went to a Quebec border. But took a shot as it was the closest for me. Total process took about 30 mins from US-CA-US.

Exiting US-
O- so you will return today? Me- yes. I am just here to go to the CBSA office and complete the formalities.
O- ok just keep it handy and show ahead when they ask. And keep the passport and F1. You're good to return.
Asked some general questions about carrying firearms, drugs, anything illegal, cash etc. Then went ahead and told the officers ahead that I'm good to go.

CA border-
O- Bonjour! Me - Hello!
O - What's the purpose of your visit? Me- I am here to complete my PR process and then return back to the US.
O- When are you moving? Me- I am looking for a job currently, so hopefully soon. Would like to move before Winter starts.
Asked general COVID related, firearms, illegal stuff, plants, seeds, etc. Basically said no to everything.
O- they have your passport inside. Park ahead (pointed where) and enter the office with your documents and mask on. Someone will be with you at the counter.
Did as instructed. I was the only one at the office. Gave CoPR to officer after small talk. Gave the Personal effects form which had a CA address. O asked a few basic questions about the form, if I would bring anything else and explained duty that would be charged for items not listed. Nothing out of the ordinary. When all paperwork was done, O congratulated, said PR card would arrive at CA address provided in ~7-8 weeks; explained the PR validity, process for SIN and citizenship.

Re-entry US-
I Greeted. Gave passport and F1. Me - I just entered CA for PR formalities and now I'm returning to the US.
O Asked few basic questions about CA PR; when are you moving, what do you do in the US? More small talk like how was grad school; made a light joke about Boston. Best part - since he wasn't aware of the PR process (rightly so), asked me if I'm marrying a Canadian. Me - No. I applied a year ago and got a one time entry visa which I used today, and now my PR process is complete (Didn't want to explain more than what was asked - but in my head I gave him a list of all the stages of the PR process and sent him a link to this forum).

Thank you all for your inputs! Hope this helps someone else make the beautiful drive (fall colors ftw) up I-93 to CA.
Congrats .

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hi all,

Exiting US-

CA border-
O- Bonjour! Me - Hello!

Re-entry US-

Congrats! Glad it all went smooth without any hassle!