+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Entry Exit Records from the US for Canadian Citizenship

van.city

Dec 26, 2022
Here's the link they sent me https://foiarequest.dhs.gov/

Asked me to select:
Submit a request to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) by creating a SecureRelease account.
I applied for citizenship in January 2022 and got the background and test parts completed in September.
There hasn't been any progress since then and I'm thinking of initiating this request just in case.

In the SecureRelease portal, which option did you select? This is what I see:

Record/Request TypeWhere to Submit FOIA Request
A-file, I-130, N-400, Petition StatusU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Deportation Records, Medical Records (while detained), Student and Exchange Visitor InformationImmigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
Inquiries or Resolution Regarding Difficulties Experienced During Travel

(If you experience repeated referrals for security screenings or you believe that you have been denied boarding or entry into the U.S. because of inaccurate information in law enforcement databases)
DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP)

wink

May 25, 2021
I applied for citizenship in January 2022 and got the background and test parts completed in September.
There hasn't been any progress since then and I'm thinking of initiating this request just in case.

In the SecureRelease portal, which option did you select? This is what I see:

Record/Request TypeWhere to Submit FOIA Request
A-file, I-130, N-400, Petition StatusU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Deportation Records, Medical Records (while detained), Student and Exchange Visitor InformationImmigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
Inquiries or Resolution Regarding Difficulties Experienced During Travel

(If you experience repeated referrals for security screenings or you believe that you have been denied boarding or entry into the U.S. because of inaccurate information in law enforcement databases)
DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP)
These not relevant.. don't click any of these links, just try clicking the Next button on the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: van.city

van.city

Dec 26, 2022
Thanks @wink, I missed the buttons at the bottom.

It seems like all you have to do is type in your request. So I'm requesting entry/exit records during my eligibility period using my passport number.
Did you attach any documents? It looks like that's optional.

wink

May 25, 2021
Thanks @wink, I missed the buttons at the bottom.

It seems like all you have to do is type in your request. So I'm requesting entry/exit records during my eligibility period using my passport number.
Did you attach any documents? It looks like that's optional.
I think you need to attach bio pages of your passports (as ID) for which you are requesting entry/exit details.

Dec 13, 2022
Also, the FOIA request was through DHS website by selecting CBP as the agency for submission. I hope they'll return the records soon because CIC gave us a 30 day deadline which is just not reasonable given how slow every government agency is around the world post-COVID.
Hi,

I'm hoping that there's someone on this forum who's had experience obtaining entry and exit records from the U.S. to fulfill their physical presence for Canadian citizenship. My wife and I lived in the U.S. until 2018 before moving to Canada as permanent residents (permanent residency obtained in 2015). We applied for Canadian citizenship in September 2021 after staying in Canada for little over 1095 days.

We completed our citizenship test in April 2022. CIC contacted us a few weeks ago asking us to submit a FOIA request to US CBP to obtain our entry and exit records from the U.S. for Sep 2016-Sep 2021. We submitted the FOIA request right away and are awaiting the records. Has anyone else submitted such request? How long did it take to get the records from CBP?

Thanks
HI THERE
DID YOU GUYS GOT YOUR FOIA REPORT

marako

Nov 20, 2022
HI THERE
DID YOU GUYS GOT YOUR FOIA REPORT
No, not yet. I once spoke with CBO FOIA customer service rep on the phone, she said requests take an average of 90 days. My request was submitted on Nov 1st, way past the average time has passed and still no luck.

Dec 13, 2022
Also, the FOIA request was through DHS website by selecting CBP as the agency for submission. I hope they'll return the records soon because CIC gave us a 30 day deadline which is just not reasonable given how slow every government agency is around the world post-COVID.
Hi any update on foia report?

MM24

Nov 16, 2019
The last time I got FOIA records on border crossings from DHS was early 2010s and it took over 6 weeks then. I'd be surprised if they respond to you sooner so you should probably plan to send CIC a letter showing that you sent the request as soon as practical and you are still waiting (with no ability to expedite or even find out how long it would take).

Good luck.

could you please tell me what info does the FOIA include? does it include any info if CBP has a red flag on the name. Thanks

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
could you please tell me what info does the FOIA include? does it include any info if CBP has a red flag on the name. Thanks
Not that I remember. It was a short (in my case anyway) and cryptic document with dates of border crossings and air travel. It was also missing some dates that I clearly remembered as having traveled. Whatever they send in FOIA is not the full dossier with CBP, so I highly doubt it would show any flags. If you suspect there's a flag on your name, go to a border crossing and ask CBP. That's what I would do.

Reactions: MM24

MM24

Nov 16, 2019
Not that I remember. It was a short (in my case anyway) and cryptic document with dates of border crossings and air travel. It was also missing some dates that I clearly remembered as having traveled. Whatever they send in FOIA is not the full dossier with CBP, so I highly doubt it would show any flags. If you suspect there's a flag on your name, go to a border crossing and ask CBP. That's what I would do.
Thanks for sharing and responding!