+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Underhill

Hero Member
Feb 5, 2020
349
242
Vancouver, BC
No, not that kind of border-crossing story, fortunately (sorry for the click-bait title).

March 2025 citizenship applicant who was one of the lucky ones who's application was processed in just 6 months (solidarity to my fellow March 2025 applicants still waiting!). I was born & raised in the US, so I (now) hold both a US and Canadian passport. Last month I traveled back to the US for a few weeks for business. I haven't traveled back to the US for a few years, so I was excited to use my new Canadian passport when returning home.

At the airport, when I was heading out I was expecting to scan/show my US passport to a US CBP agent like we've always done in the past. Not this time. As I was approaching the CBP area I was directed to a large tablet/screen device on a stand. I walked up until my face was visible on the screen and was quickly waved on by a bored looking CBP agent. At no time did I show or scan my passport. I was never asked if I had any goods to declare. It was super easy, but it was weird.

But, I've had US citizenship all my life, so whatever... It was using my new Canadian passport coming home I was excited about.

On my return to Canada at the airport I was directed to a row of electronic kiosks by a series of posted signs, I tapped my chipped passport, smiled for the camera, and a receipt was printed out which indicated the exit lane I should precede to. I went through that lane and walked out to the baggage area. I never presented my Canadian passport to a CBSA agent, I was never asked if I had any goods to declare, never showed my printed receipt from the kiosk to anyone. I just grabbed my checked bag and hit the road. It was all very easy, so I'm not complaining, but as I'm not in any Trusted Traveler program or anything I was expecting to be greeted by a CBSA agent and excitedly present my shiny new Canadian passport - instead it was just tap & go. A bit of a letdown, actually.
 
No, not that kind of border-crossing story, fortunately (sorry for the click-bait title).

March 2025 citizenship applicant who was one of the lucky ones who's application was processed in just 6 months (solidarity to my fellow March 2025 applicants still waiting!). I was born & raised in the US, so I (now) hold both a US and Canadian passport. Last month I traveled back to the US for a few weeks for business. I haven't traveled back to the US for a few years, so I was excited to use my new Canadian passport when returning home.

At the airport, when I was heading out I was expecting to scan/show my US passport to a US CBP agent like we've always done in the past. Not this time. As I was approaching the CBP area I was directed to a large tablet/screen device on a stand. I walked up until my face was visible on the screen and was quickly waved on by a bored looking CBP agent. At no time did I show or scan my passport. I was never asked if I had any goods to declare. It was super easy, but it was weird.

But, I've had US citizenship all my life, so whatever... It was using my new Canadian passport coming home I was excited about.

On my return to Canada at the airport I was directed to a row of electronic kiosks by a series of posted signs, I tapped my chipped passport, smiled for the camera, and a receipt was printed out which indicated the exit lane I should precede to. I went through that lane and walked out to the baggage area. I never presented my Canadian passport to a CBSA agent, I was never asked if I had any goods to declare, never showed my printed receipt from the kiosk to anyone. I just grabbed my checked bag and hit the road. It was all very easy, so I'm not complaining, but as I'm not in any Trusted Traveler program or anything I was expecting to be greeted by a CBSA agent and excitedly present my shiny new Canadian passport - instead it was just tap & go. A bit of a letdown, actually.

Which airport? At YVR, I often had to presented my Canadian passport to a CBSA agent before walked out to the baggage area.
 
Which airport? At YVR, I often had to presented my Canadian passport to a CBSA agent before walked out to the baggage area.
YVR. I did hand the printed receipt thing from the passport kiosk to a CBP agent on the way out (after checked baggage pickup) but my passport was tucked away in my pocket, and the agent didn't even look at the receipt - she hand a handful of them already and was just vacuuming them up as people walked by.