202-325-0150

FOIA Requester Service Center
    202-325-0150

Sabrina Burroughs,FOIA Officer
    202-325-0150

U.S. Customs & Border Protection, Sabrina Burroughs, FOIA Officer
    90 K Street, NW, 9th Floor, Mail Stop 1181
    Washington, DC 20229-1181

You can ask FOIA personnel about anything related to your request, including if what you’re asking for is clear. You can also reach out to follow up on your request after it’s been submitted.
------------

You can try calling them explain your situation and see whether they can expedite your request.
Thanks for sharing. This is very helpful.

purplesky

Sep 5, 2021
BC
I'm also in the same boat. I'm asked to submit the FOIA request. I have worked in the US for 2 years from 2016 - 18

wink

May 25, 2021
CIC just gave me a 60 day extension on the deadline to obtain entry exit records from CBP
Keep us posted when you receive the report.

Looks like asking for FOIA report has become routine now... Not sure whether this is new time buying tactics, to put on hold... What about CBSA report? Is it not IRCC supposed to get that from their end... If Canada and US has data sharing pact, I am not sure why the applicant should get it from CBP.. Once I got this report from both CBSA and CBP in the past, and they looked exactly same as for as US-Canada travel is concerned... So I thought CBSA report should be good enough..

purplesky

Sep 5, 2021
BC
Does anyone know how many days does it take for us to get a response on the FOIA request from US CBP? Its been 10 days since I applied and no news on it. Should we request for an extension from CIC as they have asked to get the reports within 30 days?

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
Does anyone know how many days does it take for us to get a response on the FOIA request from US CBP? Its been 10 days since I applied and no news on it. Should we request for an extension from CIC as they have asked to get the reports within 30 days?
Ask for an extension. I requested my CBP records in mid-August and I still have not received them.

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Hi,

I'm hoping that there's someone on this forum who's had experience obtaining entry and exit records from the U.S. to fulfill their physical presence for Canadian citizenship. My wife and I lived in the U.S. until 2018 before moving to Canada as permanent residents (permanent residency obtained in 2015). We applied for Canadian citizenship in September 2021 after staying in Canada for little over 1095 days.

We completed our citizenship test in April 2022. CIC contacted us a few weeks ago asking us to submit a FOIA request to US CBP to obtain our entry and exit records from the U.S. for Sep 2016-Sep 2021. We submitted the FOIA request right away and are awaiting the records. Has anyone else submitted such request? How long did it take to get the records from CBP?

Thanks
I made that request in Jan 2022 and received the records Mar 25, 2022 it takes 2 - 2 1/2 months.

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
Keep us posted when you receive the report.

Looks like asking for FOIA report has become routine now... Not sure whether this is new time buying tactics, to put on hold... What about CBSA report? Is it not IRCC supposed to get that from their end... If Canada and US has data sharing pact, I am not sure why the applicant should get it from CBP.. Once I got this report from both CBSA and CBP in the past, and they looked exactly same as for as US-Canada travel is concerned... So I thought CBSA report should be good enough..
The CBSA only has access to CBP (Exit) records back to mid 2019. Anything prior to that needs a FOIA request. If you travel on a US passport it takes 2 months + if you travel on a non-US passport you can get an I94 pretty much immediately on line.

Reactions: Acorn450

Acorn450

Star Member
Jun 1, 2022
But looks like IRCC is not accepting it. They want FOIA report. @Acorn450 , you hold US passport or non-US passport? Thanks.
I have a US passport. I checked yesterday, and still zero movement on my FOIA request. Not sure if it was just the timing- my request was sent right before they changed the process.

I was lucky that IRCC asked for and accepted other documentation of my residency. I have my oath tomorrow, actually.

SeniorSpouse

Star Member
May 8, 2018
I have a US passport. I checked yesterday, and still zero movement on my FOIA request. Not sure if it was just the timing- my request was sent right before they changed the process.

I was lucky that IRCC asked for and accepted other documentation of my residency. I have my oath tomorrow, actually.
Congratulations

Reactions: Acorn450