+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with CORP taking a Greyhound BUS

Hayhi87

Sep 29, 2017
Hello,

I need to go to the US for about 3 days for an urgent matter. I'm planning to leave sometime this week and take a greyhound bus back.

I'm from Colombia but I do have a multiple entry visa for Canada that it seems to be valid(I know it's not valid but the officer did not cross it out or anything, to anyone eyes except CBSA, is still valid) I landed last month and do not have my PR card yet.

I'm pretty sure that the greyhound bus driver will let me in the bus just by showing my Canadian multiple entry visa. Now the question is, when I get to the border, will the CBSA officer deny me entry since I only have CORP and the website says you can only enter Canada through land if you don't have your PR card?

Note: I have traveled many times through greyhound bus prior to becoming a PR, I know the driver asks to show proof that you can enter to Canada and instantly lets you in the bus when you show it, so I know for a fact, I won't have any issues boarding the bus. I'm just worried about actually being admitted to Canada. Can the officer actually deny me entry?

Another options:
1-Renting a car in the US and dropping it in Canada which I have in mind but it's just more expensive. Haven't done this, but as far as I know, it's totally doable.

2-Calling a TAXI or UBER, not sure if this is legal haha.

But I do need to make the trip!!

Thank you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but if you are a landed PR then regardless whether you have a PR card or a PRTD you are still entitled to enter Canada plus having your COPR to hand when you arrive at the land border will assist CBSA in letting you in.

You can find plenty of other posts on here where people have successfully used their COPR to enter via a land border pending their receipt of a PR card.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

I need to go to the US for about 3 days for an urgent matter. I'm planning to leave sometime this week and take a greyhound bus back.

I'm from Colombia but I do have a multiple entry visa for Canada that it seems to be valid(I know it's not valid but the officer did not cross it out or anything, to anyone eyes except CBSA, is still valid) I landed last month and do not have my PR card yet.

I'm pretty sure that the greyhound bus driver will let me in the bus just by showing my Canadian multiple entry visa. Now the question is, when I get to the border, will the CBSA officer deny me entry since I only have CORP and the website says you can only enter Canada through land if you don't have your PR card?

Note: I have traveled many times through greyhound bus prior to becoming a PR, I know the driver asks to show proof that you can enter to Canada and instantly lets you in the bus when you show it, so I know for a fact, I won't have any issues boarding the bus. I'm just worried about actually being admitted to Canada. Can the officer actually deny me entry?

Another options:
1-Renting a car in the US and dropping it in Canada which I have in mind but it's just more expensive. Haven't done this, but as far as I know, it's totally doable.

2-Calling a TAXI or UBER, not sure if this is legal haha.

But I do need to make the trip!!

Thank you.
as a PR with no PR Card, you have to use private car, with your CoRP

R

rish888

as a PR with no PR Card, you have to use private car, with your CoRP
This is incorrect.

Once a permanent resident arrives at a Canadian port of entry, there have a right to enter the country.

They have this right regardless of how they arrived at the port of entry.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they have a PR card.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they have their COPR.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they there are issues of inadmissibility. (Residency obligation etc.)

Simply put, they have this right insofar as they can satisfy the officer that they are a permanent resident.

The OP can get to the point of entry however he wants. A person could use a greyhound, or take a train, or take a boat, or hike their way to a port of entry. A person could take a plane if they have U.S. citizenship or if they have a U.S. visa and a passport from the transit without a visa program.

A super rich person could just charter his own jet to Canada. An Olympic swimmer could swim across the Detroit River and report to a Point of Entry. A boat owner could sail to Canada.

The point is that how you get to the POE is up to you. Once you are at a POE, CBSA has to let you in, there is no other way it can go.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
As a PR, you are suppose to have a PR card to board the bus. Whether they enforce it, I don’t know, but I would imagine they would deny boarding rather than face any repercussions from the government of Canada for not requesting correct documents before allowing passengers to board. You can certainly take a taxi to the boarder and walk across and then take a taxi from there, or rent a car, but I wouldn’t be certain you can just hop on a commercial transport and go. Whether Greyhound has the ability to determine if your visa is still valid, who knows.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=605&top=22

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

Last edited:
R

rish888

As a PR, you are suppose to have a PR card to board the bus. Whether they enforce it, I don’t know, but I would imagine they would deny boarding rather than face any repercussions from the government of Canada for not requesting correct documents before allowing passengers to board. You can certainly take a taxi to the boarder and walk across and then take a taxi from there, or rent a car, but I wouldn’t be certain you can just hop on a commercial transport and go. Whether Greyhound has the ability to determine if your visa is still valid, who knows.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=605&top=22
Highly doubt Greyhound has access to the same stuff they airlines have. Can't say for sure though. However what's for sure here is that once you're at the border you have a right to enter Canada regardless of how you got on the Greyhound.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
This is incorrect.

Once a permanent resident arrives at a Canadian port of entry, there have a right to enter the country.

They have this right regardless of how they arrived at the port of entry.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they have a PR card.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they have their COPR.

They have this right regardless of whether or not they there are issues of inadmissibility. (Residency obligation etc.)

Simply put, they have this right insofar as they can satisfy the officer that they are a permanent resident.

The OP can get to the point of entry however he wants. A person could use a greyhound, or take a train, or take a boat, or hike their way to a port of entry. A person could take a plane if they have U.S. citizenship or if they have a U.S. visa and a passport from the transit without a visa program.

A super rich person could just charter his own jet to Canada. An Olympic swimmer could swim across the Detroit River and report to a Point of Entry. A boat owner could sail to Canada.

The point is that how you get to the POE is up to you. Once you are at a POE, CBSA has to let you in, there is no other way it can go.
As a PR we have the right to enter to Canada, but sorry, your are wrong
Our Permanent Resident (PR) card is the best proof of our status at a border. ...We require a valid PR card or a valid Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (train, plane, boat or bus).

Without PR Card or PR Travel Document you need a valid CoPR and PRIVATE vehicle (own, rented) to enter by land

please read
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/questions-answers-by-topic.asp?st=10.2
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/re-entering-canada-without-pr-card-after-a-short-visit-to-us.140299/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/re-entering-canada-without-pr-card-only-copr-and-passport-by-plane.518707/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/re-enter-canada-using-your-copr.520776/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/re-enter-canada-using-your-copr.520775/
https://www.justlanded.com/english/Canada/Articles/Visas-Permits/Permanent-resident-cards

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
You've slightly misunderstood the issues.

A PR card is not necessary to enter Canada, however a person gets to Canada. Even a passport isn't a necessity, it just really helps. What the person needs to be able to do is prove that they are who they say they are. With that, CBSA officers can establish whether or not they're a PR, and therefore have the right to enter Canada.

This is why the link you supplied has a list of example documents which can help to establish identity, including credit cards, and vehicle registration cards - they don't prove you are who you say you are, but if you have enough of these things altogether, they help paint a picture. A driving licence (also on the list) doesn't prove citizenship, but it does go a long way to establishing identity - and what CBSA need to establish is identity, because with that, they can establish if you have the right to enter.

Separately from that, Greyhound may or may not allow a person to board the bus. Airlines interrogate Canadian government computers, and are presented with a green BOARD or red DON'T BOARD message for each person. It is very unlikely that Greyhound, a commercial carrier, have this direct access. A taxi firm, also a commercial carrier, certainly wouldn't. This is why the page you linked to says that without a PR card, PR Travel Document, or valid visa, you may not be able to travel. It's not the case that a person certainly won't - depending on the carrier, and what info they have access to, what they're presented with, and what they're prepared to risk, the person may or may not.

Once at the border, all a person needs to do is establish their identity, and with that, their legal right of entry from CBSA's systems. Without a passport/PR Card/PRTD this could be an arduous task - but it can be done.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
The OP is sure that Greyhound driver will let him board coz he has a multiple TRV
his question is if at the border if the cbsa officers will let him in with only COPR, the answer is YES.

Reactions: Hayhi87

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
You've slightly misunderstood the issues.

A PR card is not necessary to enter Canada, however a person gets to Canada. Even a passport isn't a necessity, it just really helps. What the person needs to be able to do is prove that they are who they say they are. With that, CBSA officers can establish whether or not they're a PR, and therefore have the right to enter Canada.

This is why the link you supplied has a list of example documents which can help to establish identity, including credit cards, and vehicle registration cards - they don't prove you are who you say you are, but if you have enough of these things altogether, they help paint a picture. A driving licence (also on the list) doesn't prove citizenship, but it does go a long way to establishing identity - and what CBSA need to establish is identity, because with that, they can establish if you have the right to enter.

Separately from that, Greyhound may or may not allow a person to board the bus. Airlines interrogate Canadian government computers, and are presented with a green BOARD or red DON'T BOARD message for each person. It is very unlikely that Greyhound, a commercial carrier, have this direct access. A taxi firm, also a commercial carrier, certainly wouldn't. This is why the page you linked to says that without a PR card, PR Travel Document, or valid visa, you may not be able to travel. It's not the case that a person certainly won't - depending on the carrier, and what info they have access to, what they're presented with, and what they're prepared to risk, the person may or may not.

Once at the border, all a person needs to do is establish their identity, and with that, their legal right of entry from CBSA's systems. Without a passport/PR Card/PRTD this could be an arduous task - but it can be done.
finally you got it

R

rish888

As @spousalsponsee mentioned, there is a distinction to be made between getting into Canada and getting on transport back to Canada.

To get into Canada, we don't need a PR card or a PRTD or a COPR. We just need to establish who we are to the satisfaction of the CBSA officer.

To get onto commercial transportation, we need to satisfy the carrier that we have the documentation to enter Canada. How one does it is up to them.

This could be a PRTD or a PR card, but it could also be a U.S. passport, a U.S. enhanced driver's license, a Visa-waiver passport (for non air travel), or in the case of the OP showing his multi-entry visitor visa.

Reactions: Hayhi87

Hayhi87

Sep 29, 2017
Thank you all the answers. I noticed the officer crossed out my landing visa but he did not cross out the TRV. I dont know if he forgot or they are not supposed to but because of this, I will be able to board the greyhound bus since the visa looks valid with an expiration date of 2022.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Thank you all the answers. I noticed the officer crossed out my landing visa but he did not cross out the TRV. I dont know if he forgot or they are not supposed to but because of this, I will be able to board the greyhound bus since the visa looks valid with an expiration date of 2022.
Be sure to update us with how it goes. :)

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I'm a bit surprised that your TRV was not marked as cancelled yet (in my case, my TRV was immediately canceled upon receipt of CoPR).

But, most others have said, Canadian permanent residents and citizens can enter Canada as a matter of right upon presenting themselves at the port of entry. So let's say you show up at the border with just a non-visa exempt passport, or a driver's license, once they establish you are PR, they have to let you in.

But for commercial transports, it would be up to them to decide whether they would let you board. Here is a story of dual Canadian-Egyptian citizens who were denied to board a flight to Canada upon presenting Egyptian passports and Canadian citizenship certificates:

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/08/04/dual_citizens_carrying_foreign_passport_turned_away_at_florida_airport.html

The family was eventually let in, but they had to travel all the way to the border to present themselves to the CBSA.