+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without PR card after a short visit to US

manlec

Aug 28, 2009
I am originally from a country that is not a visa exempt conutry for Canada. I have recently received Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and will be landing in Toronto in July 2013 with family for starting the processing of PR card etc. We will be staying in Toronto for only 1 month before returning back to our home country. In the mean time, two weeks after landing (without a PR card), we need to visit US for 1 week and then return back to toronto as we have return flight from Toronto.

As per CIC website, a Permanent Resident without PR card cannot travel back to Canada by any commercial carrier (Plane, Bus, Train) but can travel back via "a private vehicle such as your own car" by simply showing the COPR (IMM5292). Pl see the link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

My questions is, whether the "private vehicle" applies to rental car or taxi also? Is it practical that on my way back from US to Canada, can I simply hire a taxi (or rent a car) to just drop me across the border from Buffalo and then I continue via bus or train to Toronto? OR is it possible that we request some of our relatives (who are Canadian citizens now) to pick us from Buffalo to drive us back to Toronto?

Can you kindly suggest any other alternative?

Thanks a lot.

manlec

Aug 28, 2009
Thank you Leon for your reply.

Do you have idea if I can easily rent a car in Buffalo to cross the border? I would have Driving License from Saudi Arabia and International Driving permit from Saudi Arabia and of course copy of our COPR. Will they allow me to rent the car and cross the border as I will have to notify them of the drop off location (Toronto) across the border. Will the rent-a-car company not require PR card?

I will appreciate if other experts could also advise in this regard.

Thanks a lot.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you will have a problem. After all, if you are unable to get the Canada, you can still return the car in Buffalo. You can contact a few rental agencies and ask them what documents they require to rent a car in the US and return it in Canada.

instant_karma

Feb 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Apr-2010
Doc's Request.
22-Jul-2012
Med's Request
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
16-02-2013, Documents received at NDVO on 11th March 2013, Status changed to "Decision Made" on 26-Mar-2013
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-April-2013, PP received on 08-April-2013
LANDED..........
Awaited...
Hello Leon,

Can person from country which is not visa exempt enter by road to Canada through own/rental car without the PR card? (considering that PR card is still under processing and the person had to leave Canada without it)

Is COPR enough while re-entry?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
instant_karma said:
Hello Leon,

Can person from country which is not visa exempt enter by road to Canada through own/rental car without the PR card? (considering that PR card is still under processing and the person had to leave Canada without it)

Is COPR enough while re-entry?
Yes. A person who is not visa exempt can enter Canada at the US/Canada border with a private/rental car or on foot without a PR card.

The COPR is enough to show Canada immigration that you are a new PR who hasn't gotten your PR card yet and they will let you enter.

Jul 1, 2013
To MANLEC: Re-entering Canada without PR card after a short visit to US

Hi Manlec,

Can you update your experience of taking rental car from buffalo and going back to Toronto ? Or did you ask your relative to pick up you from buffalo ? how did this work ?

Thanks

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Leon said:
Yes. A person who is not visa exempt can enter Canada at the US/Canada border with a private/rental car or on foot without a PR card.

The COPR is enough to show Canada immigration that you are a new PR who hasn't gotten your PR card yet and they will let you enter.
Hi Leon,

• Do you think re-entering with COPR and Passport will work if i plan to return by road (rental car) from US, lets say '6 months' after initial landing in Canada ? i.e. would i still be considered a 'new PR who hasn't gotten my PR card' (as you mentioned above)

Secondly,
on the CIC website : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
it says :
"Returning by private vehicle
There are other documents you can use to enter the country.
When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.
Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use."

• When i click on the 'other documents' link, & maybe i'm missing something here, but does it specifically say COPR is that 'other document' ? .... OR.... is it that we know this based on specific forum experiences ?

Thank you for your advice in advance !

Reactions: xehiaa

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
sodapop123 said:
Hi Leon,

• Do you think re-entering with COPR and Passport will work if i plan to return by road (rental car) from US, lets say '6 months' after initial landing in Canada ? i.e. would i still be considered a 'new PR who hasn't gotten my PR card' (as you mentioned above)

Secondly,
on the CIC website : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
it says :
"Returning by private vehicle
There are other documents you can use to enter the country.
When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.
Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use."

• When i click on the 'other documents' link, & maybe i'm missing something here, but does it specifically say COPR is that 'other document' ? .... OR.... is it that we know this based on specific forum experiences ?

Thank you for your advise in advance !
only a copr and passport are needed to cross the border by land. it doesn't matter how long you've been a pr. as long as you are crossing by land, the pr card is not needed.

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
only a copr and passport are needed to cross the border by land. it doesn't matter how long you've been a pr. as long as you are crossing by land, the pr card is not needed.
thanks for your response !
just to confirm, this hold true no matter what country's passport one holds ?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
sodapop123 said:
thanks for your response !
just to confirm, this hold true no matter what country's passport one holds ?
Correct.

Unless it's a Canadian passport, then you don't even need the CoPR ;)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
spyfy said:
Correct.

Unless it's a Canadian passport, then you don't even need the CoPR ;)
Actually with any passport you don't technically need the COPR. With just the passport bio info, CBSA should be able to determine your PR status and allow entry.

Having the COPR just makes the process a lot quicker and easier for CBSA. Wihout it you may go to secondary to have PR status confirmed.

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Rob_TO said:
Actually with any passport you don't technically need the COPR. With just the passport bio info, CBSA should be able to determine your PR status and allow entry.

Having the COPR just makes the process a lot quicker and easier for CBSA. Wihout it you may go to secondary to have PR status confirmed.
Thanks all for your inputs !

I have been trying to find where it is officially listed... is there a webpage (CIC or cbsa etc..) that points to either COPR / Passport / both being enough.
Not doubting anything here :).... just wanted to see if we have a written official source or is this learning through our members' personal experiences ?

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html
i went through the above, but it doesn't say anything about non-members of NEXUS or FAST programs.

xehiaa

Jun 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2011
Doc's Request.
November 2013
Med's Request
November 2013
Med's Done....
December 2013
Passport Req..
August 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 2014
LANDED..........
October 2014
Thanks all for your inputs !

I have been trying to find where it is officially listed... is there a webpage (CIC or cbsa etc..) that points to either COPR / Passport / both being enough.
Not doubting anything here :).... just wanted to see if we have a written official source or is this learning through our members' personal experiences ?

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html
i went through the above, but it doesn't say anything about non-members of NEXUS or FAST programs.
Hi,
How was your experience with re-entering Canada from the US with COPR done?
I have to drive to US tomorrow and just realized that my PR card is missing. However, I'm still need to go and really need to know what to expect!
Thank you!

sodapop123

Star Member
Mar 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
20-11-2016
IELTS Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Request
N/A (upfront)
Med's Done....
31-10-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2017
LANDED..........
01-05-2017
Hi,
How was your experience with re-entering Canada from the US with COPR done?
I have to drive to US tomorrow and just realized that my PR card is missing. However, I'm still need to go and really need to know what to expect!
Thank you!

Hey there.....I have not 're-entered' Canada via US yet, so can't comment on my experience.

But I was actually told at time of my short landing by the officer who stamped my COPR, that the COPR is valid for re-entry if i return by road (obviously using 'private vehicle'), at least for first time re-entry. Keep in mind, i was told this verbally when i landed. There is nothing in written that i received confirming it, so can't say with 100 % guarantee. However, posts above from members + Other's experiences on the forum seem to be in-line with what i was told.

NOTE:
If you have already used it once before for re-entry, then i'm not sure if it works again for multiple re-entries.
Also - i believe COPR has to still be VALID, so do check the validity date before travelling, as i believe it was only valid for one year from your 'medicals date'.

Hope this information helps you make your decision. Good luck !